Rimless nano cube
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 03-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
MlDukes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Rimless nano cube

Ok... i have several 14"x14" pieces of 1/4" glass laying around. They used to be glass shelves. I've been toying with the idea of making a rimless glass cube using these as the sides. I would have to have a bottom piece cut to fit and thinking about drilling it for an inlet and outlet for a canister filter below it.

My question is?

With the givin dimensions of the tank and thickness of the glass will this work long term for a rimless tank?

If yes:

What kind of sealent do i need to use? I am looking for advice on sealent from someone who has experience in building rimless tanks.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!
MlDukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
sparkysko
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to sparkysko Send a message via AIM to sparkysko Send a message via MSN to sparkysko Send a message via Yahoo to sparkysko

1/4" glass is plenty thick. 14x14x14 cube needs 6.3mm glass on the bottom and 3.8mm glass on the sides. (1/4 inch = 6.3mm) according to my calculator. I assume the bottom is assuming that it's going to be within a frame, and not simple just glass sitting on a flat surface, but I'm not sure.

The corners obviously aren't going to have a glass on glass joint. I've seen someone do that with a 6x6x6 tank. Someone (I believe it was hoppy) mentioned that the majority of the strength of the silicone joint is on the glass on glass contact, and the shear strength is very low. I would be hesitant on building a tank and relying on just a corner fillet only. You might be able to cutoff 1/2" from the sided pieces, so you can assemble it like a traditional aquarium, with the glass on glass contact at the corners.

Use aquarium silicone. I don't think I've seen any other adhesive recommended for this job.
sparkysko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
jeff@zina.com
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MlDukes View Post
With the givin dimensions of the tank and thickness of the glass will this work long term for a rimless tank?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MlDukes View Post
What kind of sealent do i need to use? I am looking for advice on sealent from someone who has experience in building rimless tanks.
Silicone aquarium sealer. GE Silicone I Door and Window sealer from the hardware store works fine.

Depending on the glass, the shelves may not be your best choice. If they are rounded, they don't seal as well.

Jeff
jeff@zina.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #4
Tamelesstgr
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

I say go for it, all though I wouldn't drill anything. I just constructed a 12x12x14, see my link below. It's holding water for 3 days now, want to make sure I don't have any leaks.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:33 AM   #5
MlDukes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Scratch this idea, having all new glass cut. not gonna cost much and it will be worth it, these pieces do have rounded edges so dont want to chance it! Started a new thread on same topic titled: rimless cube Drilling for sump

Can anyone tell me how to delete an entire thread?
MlDukes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rimless nano cube sealent