Couple of tanks -Vincent
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
VincentK
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Couple of tanks -Vincent

Ok, so I decided to do a planted tank right, so I went ahead and got my old 10 gallon out, went out and bought a bag of Eco-Complete and put it in, the pump was just to give it circulation until I could get a filter in

Then a week later, I went out, got a filter and a couple of rocks, I'm afraid I may be overfiltering (if there is such a thing), I got the Marineland 200, and it looks humongous in relation to the tank, but I already put it in and plugged it in, so it's too late to return it now, hopefully it won't be a problem.

Although one nice thing about having a giant filter is that you can fit your heater inside it

As for lighting, I plan to make a little wooden stand and then attaching two clamp lamps onto it, as inspired by Hoppy: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...xperiment.html
I just ordered a pound of Potassium Sulfate, Potassium Nitrate, and Mono Potassium Phosphate, and I already have Flourish Comprehensive.
Then I'm going to try to put HC or glosso as a foreground, then Dwarf Hairgrass behind that, then IDK, I don't really like the way the rocks are positioned and need suggestions, thanks for looking.

Last edited by VincentK; 07-29-2010 at 08:24 PM..
VincentK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
itrack4u
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Is that pump (in the left corner) a Hagen Mini that some folks use as a diffuser?
itrack4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #3
VincentK
Wannabe Guru

No, it's just a powerhead I got from a recycle center for like 2 bucks.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
VincentK
Wannabe Guru

Well today, I went ahead and got 3 new rocks, put them in

I'm not sure, at first I thought I'd like it because it was leaning, but now it looks like it's leaning too much, but if I put it straight up, then the two taller stone's tips would be sticking out of the water, and I don't really like the look of that anyway, then I started thinking that there isn't going to be a lot of space for plants/fish, so I started thinking I would take out the two larger stones, but then it looks too small that way and the larger stones cost a lot.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #5
VincentK
Wannabe Guru

And then after playing with it some more, I made this, same thing just pushed more vertically, I personally like it more, but would like some opinions.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
fastfreddie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentK View Post
I'm not sure, at first I thought I'd like it because it was leaning, but now it looks like it's leaning too much, but if I put it straight up, then the two taller stone's tips would be sticking out of the water, and I don't really like the look of that anyway, then I started thinking that there isn't going to be a lot of space for plants/fish, so I started thinking I would take out the two larger stones, but then it looks too small that way and the larger stones cost a lot.
Good start. Put the rocks in a towel and smash them with a hammer. See where that takes you.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #7
fastfreddie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sloping the substrate from low in the front to high in the back or in the corners might spark some creativity too.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #8
VincentK
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post
Good start. Put the rocks in a towel and smash them with a hammer. See where that takes you.
Do you still think I should or keep the new one I have now, if I do, I need ideas for what to do with the smaller pieces.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #9
fastfreddie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You'll get something that feels right. Is this your second planted tank? I see you have a 5.5 gallon.

That's a lot of substrate you have in there. I would either remove some, or make a STRONG slope toward the back. Try to keep the font of the substrate just barely higher then the black trim on the bottom of your tank, and maybe keep the rear just lower than your filter intake. That alone will make the tank at least appear much larger than it does now.

If you keep the rocks whole, maybe try laying them horizontally, with about 1/3 to half of each rock buried beneath the substrate. Sort of stagger them in the mid section.

If you break them you have a little more to work with. You could stack the smaller pieces to create sort of a terrace wall, and pile substrate behind for an elevated planted area. You could also make rubble piles, and tuck in different types of anubias or java fern.

Hard to describe, but if you keep experimenting, something will come to you. Take a break if you need to and look at other people's tanks or browse the aquascaping section. I bet you'll get something cool going.
Good luck
Old 03-08-2010, 10:28 PM   #10
VincentK
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post
You'll get something that feels right. Is this your second planted tank? I see you have a 5.5 gallon.

That's a lot of substrate you have in there. I would either remove some, or make a STRONG slope toward the back. Try to keep the font of the substrate just barely higher then the black trim on the bottom of your tank, and maybe keep the rear just lower than your filter intake. That alone will make the tank at least appear much larger than it does now.

If you keep the rocks whole, maybe try laying them horizontally, with about 1/3 to half of each rock buried beneath the substrate. Sort of stagger them in the mid section.

If you break them you have a little more to work with. You could stack the smaller pieces to create sort of a terrace wall, and pile substrate behind for an elevated planted area. You could also make rubble piles, and tuck in different types of anubias or java fern.

Hard to describe, but if you keep experimenting, something will come to you. Take a break if you need to and look at other people's tanks or browse the aquascaping section. I bet you'll get something cool going.
Good luck
Thanks for the words of advice, I broke the biggest rock into three, but not the other ones, because I was really going for a big centerpiece rock or something, and after playing with it for a bit, I think I got one I like,

at first, my dad said it looked like it was giving the finger tell me what you think
Old 03-08-2010, 10:35 PM   #11
VincentK
Wannabe Guru

Oh, and I pushed the substrate back after I took the pic, in the front, it's a little less than a centimeter over the trim and I pushed the rest to the back, it looks nice, but hopefully it won't slide back down.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:41 AM   #12
AlexXx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

tell your tank to stop flipping me the bird >.<
Old 03-09-2010, 01:41 AM   #13
fastfreddie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It does look like a middle finger! The tank looks bigger now with more smaller rocks. Have fun picking plants.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #14
VincentK
Wannabe Guru

I need lighting advice, I went out to Lowes and got two clamp lamps and 2 26watt 6500 CFLS, screwed some wood onto the back of the stand and set everything up, I just need some help now, first, will evaporation affect the bulbs? Second, I'm deciding whether or not I should have two, I think two, but my dad said one, attached are some pictures of the tank with lighting under two and under one.
With two

and with one

I'm trying to grow glosso and some dwarf hairgrass, still unsure what in the back, but I know these two plants need relatively high light along with co2 (DIY), another thing my dad suggested was replacing the 26 watt lights with 20 watt or 13 watt ones, opinions?
Old 03-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #15
VincentK
Wannabe Guru

Well, my dry ferts arrived today,

when I first got them, the first thing I thought of was cocaine, haha, and now I have no idea what to do when I dose them.