Help me figure this hobby out
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 09-21-2004, 08:31 PM   #1
bigpow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Unhappy

Help me figure this hobby out

I have four tanks: 55, 20-tall, 20-long & 10 gallon.
For some reason, I have ate more than what I could swallow...

55-gallon is densely planted and recently got an outbreak of ich (adopted a fish, turned out to be a mistake - lost a hospital tank, see below)

10-gallon used to be quarantine tank (until black mollies gave births - now it's a fry tank) - now a black molly fry tank

20-gallon long used to be the plant grow-out tank, now it's got hundreds of guppy frys.

20-gallon tall is the bastard tank (silver dollars, dwarf gouramies, black mollies, chinese algae eaters) - not planted since it's way too overcrowded, lots of air bubbles & water movements, 1/4" gravel only.

I'm literally running out of space for plants and fish.

Any idea how to solve this problem?
I would not to add more tanks - since these four are already too much if I have to move (in 1-2 years).

What would planted tank veterans & fish keepers (like you) do in this case?

At this point, I'm desperate... and I'm upset with myself because when I started the hobby I didn't give it much thought. I hate to think that I won't be able to provide good home for my fish soon, if this keeps going on.

EDIT:
I guess my concerns are around these issues:
1. hundreds of fish fry (guppies & black mollies)
2. tons of plant clippings (very common plants - not worth selling, tried to give away but can't seem to interest lots of people)
3. the ability to have new fish every now and then - at the same time, keeping the current fish
4. having & keeping one tank for quarantine/hospital tank
Eheim Pimp Club Member #74
bigpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2004, 09:00 PM   #2
sn8k
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Try to find a LFS that will give you store credit for your clippings and new arriuvals. This way you can help support your hobby, and get rid of some of the stuff you don't need to be having to deal with. If it was me, I really wouldn't be asking much from the LFS as far as compensation - just having an option to unload stuff and make a small amount in the transaction would be very worth while.

Best of luck
Eheim Pimp Club Member #37

Custom All Glass 90 Gal (48x14x30) - Eheim 2028 Pro II - 8w AquaUV Sterilizer - 48" Aqualight 2-65W 6700K & 2-55W 9325K - (4) 3/4Watt Aqualight Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LEDs - 160lbs EcoComplete substrate - Dupla Therm 500 substrate heater w/Temp Control - Hydor ETH300 inline heater - pressurized Co2 w/pH controller - Reactor 1000 CO2 - & lots of other misc. crap
sn8k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 09:43 PM   #3
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

Pretty plain and simple. The cut and dry method would be to just use that 10 gallon as a quarantine tank, and keep the others as is. This would entail that you consolidate all the baby guppies and mollies into the 20-gallon tank.

If you have problems with stocking levels, you can always bring the babies in for store credit (food, equipment, any new additions to the tank, etc.). Or, if you have larger fish in the 55 gallon tank, you can always supplement their diet with them...

As for the excess plants, you can always take those in for credit also. You might not be able to get much (if any at all for that matter), but it's a great outlet source for such means (good way to build repor with your LFS also).

Lastly, I would take those silver dollars back to where you got them from also. They get too large for a tank of that size, plus even if you changed the tank to being planted (possible since the other fish are compatible with being in a planted tank), they'll nibble on the plants.

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 10:11 PM   #4
oldfarmhouse
Planted Member

Apparantly you like livebearers. What does the 55 have in it??. Clear the ick out and dump all the fry (mollys and guppys) in the 55 planted tank.that will free up the 10g and 20l. for quarantine and trouble fish .CAE ,silver dollars etc. 20GH for nice fish community, Send back any left overs to LFS. DONT separate guppy moms and molly moms anymore. Let the 55 turn into a awesome livebearer planted tank. Let nature run its course!
Member "Eheim Pimp Club" #35 30G High....65w Coralife...
Eheim 2224 Pro...100% Eco-Complete....Ebo-150w
oldfarmhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 10:36 PM   #5
bigpow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Apparantly you like livebearers
- not by choice... I bought 4 black mollies because I had some hydra, the guppy is my wife's fish.

I LOVE clown loaches! (and most bottom feeders, just like myself!)

The 55 gallon has (holding my breath):
9 clown loaches
3 rosey barbs
6 cherry barbs
11 corydoras catfish
4 upside down catfish
1 female guppy
6 zebra danio (part of cycling)
6 white cloud (part of cycling)
1 redfin shark

It is way too overstocked - so much for the 1" fish per 1 gallon rule.
They seem to be immortals ... (not that I'm wishing they would die, I love each of them)

And I have a bad habit of buying fish everytime I go to a good LFS (or recently when people getting out of hobby) and then wife will get attached to the fish and I won't be able to unload them.

I want to add one bullet in my concern: the ability to breed my fish (I've lost so many cory, barb, danio eggs because I didn't have any spare breeding tank)
Eheim Pimp Club Member #74
bigpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 10:39 PM   #6
sn8k
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibn
Lastly, I would take those silver dollars back to where you got them from also. They get too large for a tank of that size, plus even if you changed the tank to being planted (possible since the other fish are compatible with being in a planted tank), they'll nibble on the plants.
Nibble????? only "nibble" you say? LOL

One of my first experiences in choosing the right fish for a tank. I had about 6 of those guys in a 60 gallon, and decided that it would be cool to add a lot of live plants (like I had done on my 'little fishies' tank). Well, by the end of 2 days all that was left of the plants were little nubs sticking out of the gravel.

Lesson learned

Custom All Glass 90 Gal (48x14x30) - Eheim 2028 Pro II - 8w AquaUV Sterilizer - 48" Aqualight 2-65W 6700K & 2-55W 9325K - (4) 3/4Watt Aqualight Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LEDs - 160lbs EcoComplete substrate - Dupla Therm 500 substrate heater w/Temp Control - Hydor ETH300 inline heater - pressurized Co2 w/pH controller - Reactor 1000 CO2 - & lots of other misc. crap
Old 09-22-2004, 01:20 AM   #7
GreenTank
Planted Member

solve all your problems. Buy a large predatory cichlid keep him in the the 55. Feed him all the rest. Keep plants in all the other 3.

Supreme Eheim Pimpdaddy in Canada.. #40
GreenTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 03:27 AM   #8
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn8k
Nibble????? only "nibble" you say? LOL

One of my first experiences in choosing the right fish for a tank. I had about 6 of those guys in a 60 gallon, and decided that it would be cool to add a lot of live plants (like I had done on my 'little fishies' tank). Well, by the end of 2 days all that was left of the plants were little nubs sticking out of the gravel.

Lesson learned
I was trying to slowly ease him into the fact, rather than freak him out .

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 04:49 AM   #9
sn8k
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibn
I was trying to slowly ease him into the fact, rather than freak him out .
LOL - I guess you don't believe in that "tuff love" stuff .

Old 09-22-2004, 04:57 AM   #10
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTank
solve all your problems. Buy a large predatory cichlid keep him in the the 55. Feed him all the rest. Keep plants in all the other 3.
That was the answer to all my over-crowding problems when I was a kid