Dean's 1 Foot Cube Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-03-2010, 06:19 AM   #1
AquaDean
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Dean's 1 Foot Cube Tank

Iíve thought about doing a tank journal before but never have. In fact Iíve never kept a journal of any type before so this is my first attempt at it and Iím hoping that it will keep me focused and maybe get me the necessary input to get this tank finished in the direction that I think I envision.

Iíve tried a couple other Nano tanks in the recent past including the 3 gallon Picotope and the 4 gallon Finnex. Both are really nice tanks but just didnít do it for me. The Picotope had nice depth front to back but lacked the height that I wanted. The Finnex has nice height for its size but lacked the front to back depth. So I started looking around for something different and came across this Mr. Aqua 1 foot cube and figured why not give it a try. It is advertised as a 7.5 gallon tank but actually only holds a little more than 6 gallons of water. But for a Nano tank it has both the height and depth that I felt I wanted.

I ordered and received the tank and it sat on my table for three weeks at least, empty. What was I going to do with it? Then it hit me, I wanted to try a tank with a moss tree. Iíd seen several of the images of beautiful tanks with moss trees online and one of the local shops had a good start on one in a nano tank. So now I had a mission, finding the right piece of driftwood to create a moss tree. Two weeks of scouring the local shops turned up various hunks of wood but none that would make the right tree trunk and have the necessary branches for the moss to attach to. I then ordered a couple pieces from Aqua Forest requesting pieces of wood that had some texture and branches for a moss tree. To no avail I still hadnít found the right piece of wood for the tree. I had pieces that would make great branches but skinny little trunks with no character or I had pieces that would make nice trunks with no branches. Still on the table sat the tank empty and in need of direction.

Then one afternoon as I was zip tying suction cups to my latest attempt at a DIY lily pipe, it hit me. Just like hitting your thumb with a hammer by accident it hit me, just didnít hurt as much. I could zip tie tree branches onto a piece of wood that would make a good tree trunk. Thus my DIY Zip Tie Moss Tree and now I had both direction and motivation for the tank.

Over the next several days I got all of the hardware in order and installed so to speak. Due to the tanks location the filter is about four feet away and routing the tubing was a bit of a challenge; down a small ledge behind a built in cabinet, pulling with at straightened coat hanger and pushing with a yard stick. Finally after making all the connections I moved the tank into place filled it up and did the final leak test on everything, plus made sure that the DIY heater module was working correctly.

Next I drained the tank put in the hardscape, moss tree, and filled it back up and that is kind of where Iím still at today. Here is an image of the tank at that point. Iíll get an undated one done in a day or so.

Iíve got quite a few DIY projects happening with this tank but wonít go into their details unless I change something significantly. The DIY articles are all linked below in my signature. For this tank I did change the size of the barbed fittings on the heater module to the next larger size to accommodate the filter tubing size used on the Eheim filter. Everything else so far is the same.

Here is the complete equipment list as Iíve got the tank so far:

Tank Ė 7 gallon 1í cube (Mr. Aqua), DIY glass top just to keep evaporation down.
Light Ė Archaea 27 Watt Power Compact Clip on Light Fixture w/10K bulb.
Filter Ė Eheim 2211
Media Ė Eheim mechanical and biological media, no carbon or zeolite, will add some Purigen later.
Pipes Ė DIY Lily Pipes, ĹĒ intake and 3/8Ē outflow.
Heater Ė DIY Nano Heater Module using a 50 watt Catalina Titanium heater.
CO2 Ė Pressurized with Up-Aqua inline Atomizer/Diffuser (D-508-12).
Valve Ė Fabco NV-55 needle valve adjusted to 1 bubble per second 24/7.
Counter Ė Generic Glass bubble counter.
Checker Ė DIY Drop Checker.
Substrate Ė Salt & Pepper 2-3mm generic sand from LFS, no other enhancements used.
Background Ė 50% white acrylic 1/8Ē cut to exact size and held in place with clear tape on the corners.

Plants Ė DIY Moss tree, need help with the rest of them.
Fertilizers Ė Excel??

Inhabitants Ė This will probably end up being a shrimp tank but not sure yet.

So that be my first ever journal entry. It only took me two days to compose and re-compose so hope you enjoy this start. My next will be quicker and contain the pleading for help and further artistic direction.
AquaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 06:21 AM   #2
AquaDean
Planted Member

So where Iím at I have a cube tank with the start of a moss tree in it. This tank will probably end up being used for a crystal red shrimp tank as I have shrimplets coming out of my ears right now. Where I drastically need help is in the area of fertilizers, light photo period, and how to finish the aquascape. Iím pretty good at getting DIY type things conceptualized and done but when it comes to artistic things like aquascaping Iím a mess. I have some ideas, more of what I donít want than what I do, that Iíll bounce around and Iím very open to everyoneís opinions and ideas.

I donít want to use HC, HM, or Glosso, I just donít think it will fit well in this tank. I have three small Erio plants that Iíd like to use in the tank. I like the Erio type of plants and wouldnít mind a few more in the layout. Other mosses with different textures I think would be nice but not sure. Iíve ordered some Fissidens to see if I like how it looks. One thing Iíd like to do is have something at least partially block the intake sponge from view. Dwarf hairgrass is a possibility especially the Japan variety but at the same time I want to keep this simple to maintain and not give the moss tree too much light. I wouldnít mind just using slow growing moss type plant for the whole scape. Also wondering if I need to add any more to the hard scape?

So as you can see Iíve got the tank and the moss tree and Iím lost. . .
Old 03-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
AquaDean
Planted Member

Well itís been about 2 weeks since I put the moss tree in the tank, the first week there was almost no change at all but in the second week Iíve seen the moss starting to sprout out all over the place. Below are the 2 week pictures of the tank setup and the moss tree. As you can see Iíve been playing with some other mosses in the tank trying to get some sort of direction. Iíve also purchased some erio type plants that should be here this coming week. Iíve been dosing Excel and other fertilizers 2-3 times a week to help the tank along.

Besides not knowing how Iím going to finish this tank off Iíve run into one other glitch with the moss tree. When doing the most recent water change I discovered some small pieces of riccia growing in the tree. I carefully plucked them out with tweezers but not sure if I got it all and really donít want to start over. Right now I guess Iíll just have to keep a close eye on it. Any other feedback is more that welcome.

Whole tank shot:

Closer in:

Top view of moss tree:

Old 03-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
jake1337
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

This really looks good! ill have to try it some time, java moss grows like a weed, and some how bonds it self to what ever it touches.

I say job well done my fiend.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
AlexXx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

its coming along quite well!
Old 03-06-2010, 11:39 PM   #6
!shadow!
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

l'm curious as to how much did that tank run you? l really like the dimensions of it and sparked some ideas. Great job so far and can't wait to see how this one will turn out.

!shadow! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:03 AM   #7
AquaDean
Planted Member

Jake & Alex, Thank you!, it is coming along nice I think.

Shadow, the tank is from Marine Depot and cost me $48.98 shipped. I thought a great deal but right now they have them for $5.00 off that price, $43.98 shipped. Plus I feel the quality is very nice and the dimensions work great.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:26 AM   #8
Robotguy
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

That is looking awesome. The tree is filling in really nicely, and the lily pipes look great!
Robotguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:36 AM   #9
!shadow!
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

cool and thanks.That's not a bad price considering l thought it was a ada tank when i first saw it.

!shadow! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:40 AM   #10
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

totally rad
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:11 AM   #11
kyle3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i like it!
kyle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #12
AquaDean
Planted Member

Another week gone by and the tree is filling in nicely. Iíve done some minor trimming but decided to let it grow out for another week or so before starting to really shape it. Iím still pulling little bits of riccia out of the tree but less and less each time so hope that Iíll get it all eventually. Here is a full tank shot of how the tank is looking this week.

Iíve added some Fissidens around the base of the tree and the erios that I purchase from a couple of the forum members. Plus made a couple moss logs one on a charcoal bamboo tube and the other around some Azoo soil packed in a netting tube. I also added a bunch of my baby Crystal Red shrimp and they love hanging out in the mosses and tree.

Iím having a little trouble keeping the KH down as in-between water changes it wants to creep up to over 5 KH. I bought some ADA Amazonia II in the fine or powdered form and Iím thinking of sprinkling the surface of the substrate with it. This could be dangerous as I could get some big ammonia spikes so if anyone else has ideas please let me know. Ph is remaining stable at 6.4 and GH is right around 8.

I still would like to do something in that back left corner that could maybe hide the intake sponge a bit. I been thinking of some dark colored twigs with just a little bit of moss on them. All Iíve been able to find so far that I know is aquarium safe are the light colored Manzanita branches. Anybody know of a source for skinny little twigs that are dark colored?
Old 03-16-2010, 04:14 AM   #13
PhishTank
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Sorry if you posted this info somewhere but I didnt see it.

I have this same tank and was curious about your DIY glass top. Could you take some pics showing how it sits on top and explain a little bit about how it is secured? Thanks.
PhishTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:44 AM   #14
AlexXx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

man i love the progression of this! I cant wait to make a cube tree garden one day!
Old 03-17-2010, 01:48 AM   #15
AquaDean
Planted Member

Thanks Alex, its been fun so far and I'm starting to feel a direction.

Phish,
I haven't done any pictures of the top so if you give me a couple days I'll just post them in this thread. Note that it hasn't been on for any of the tank pictures so far. I use it mainly to keep the cat out and control the evaporation a little.