BEWARE!! Marineland Stealth Pro Heater - Page 19
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #271
Rich Conley
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharma View Post
Rich- I use one rated higher than my tank because the room temperatures drop dramatically in my room in the winter due to not having a heater, so it makes me feel a bit safer having just a bigger rated heater. It can keep it more stable imo. I dont want my apitos getti g cold

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

A bigger heater won't keep it any more stable. It either is powerful enough, or its not.

You'd be much better off with two smaller heaters if you want to run more wattage than you need.
Rich Conley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #272
Steve N
Algae Grower

I'm another victim. I had no idea there was any sort of warning about these heaters, bought one from Petsmart about 18 month ago, and until yesterday assumed it was perfectly safe. Luckily I was home when it happened and I was able to save 20 of the 25 fish by tossing them into the 55 gal I still have.

Now I have a WAY overstocked 55 gal and a freaked out wife - well me too to be honest. (densely planted, however, so lots of hiding space)

I can probably rummage up the receipt but whats the point? Does Marineland care at all about my destroyed tank?

They've undone my fish management completely too. My anabantoids, danios and loaches and now joined by corydora, tetras, pygmy cory, ottos a freaked out blue ram.

I've hooked the 29's canister up to the 55, so its being filtered by both now. The water parameters of both tanks were essentially identical and the 55 will now be very well planted..... Despite all that its freaking crazy! The number of fish in the tank right now is ... 45 ... several are smaller but many are 2" and the pearl gaurami at 4" are the largest.

Will this work or should make move to reduce stock?
Steve N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #273
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N View Post
I'm another victim. I had no idea there was any sort of warning about these heaters, bought one from Petsmart about 18 month ago, and until yesterday assumed it was perfectly safe. Luckily I was home when it happened and I was able to save 20 of the 25 fish by tossing them into the 55 gal I still have.

Now I have a WAY overstocked 55 gal and a freaked out wife - well me too to be honest. (densely planted, however, so lots of hiding space)

I can probably rummage up the receipt but whats the point? Does Marineland care at all about my destroyed tank?

They've undone my fish management completely too. My anabantoids, danios and loaches and now joined by corydora, tetras, pygmy cory, ottos a freaked out blue ram.

I've hooked the 29's canister up to the 55, so its being filtered by both now. The water parameters of both tanks were essentially identical and the 55 will now be very well planted..... Despite all that its freaking crazy! The number of fish in the tank right now is ... 45 ... several are smaller but many are 2" and the pearl gaurami at 4" are the largest.

Will this work or should make move to reduce stock?
Marineland will take care of your when you contact them, petsmart wont do much though. you should be able to get your money from Marineland for all the loss, including fish, carpet, tank, heater, etc.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #274
Wulfyn
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Atleast it sounds like Marineland doesn't bury thier heads or read a "script" to you. Good to hear they are willing to work with you and accept some responsibility. Be glad they're not like Sony
Wulfyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #275
Steve N
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfyn View Post
Atleast it sounds like Marineland doesn't bury thier heads or read a "script" to you. Good to hear they are willing to work with you and accept some responsibility. Be glad they're not like Sony
I wouldn't assume anything about being taken care of. For instance, while I may have a receipt, I never bothered to register the warranty - who registers a simple heater? Well, if they DO take care of me, I'll let you all know and give a nod of support to Marineland.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #276
Steve N
Algae Grower

Smile

Quote:

Well, I finally filed with Marineland. Months after the event, so I could really assess the damages fairly.

The overstocked tank was fun for a while, then it collapsed while I was on vacation. The brown plague took over after 4 weeks of vacationing without any hitches. EVERYTHING died and the poor kid who was care taking was traumatized to see the tank look a little off color one day to showing up the next day to the grim reaper. Poor kid. That's never going to happen again.

Anyhow, Marineland compensated me for the lost stock from the 29 gallon tank, seeing as how I had no way to keep them alive for long. I did not mention to them the lost stock of the 55 gallon stock. That was my fault.

The silver lining is I have a simpler tank set up now and I don't feel financially cheated. So, I'm just going to keep enjoying the hobby!
Old 09-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #277
AquariumNoob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Well, I finally filed with Marineland. Months after the event, so I could really assess the damages fairly.

The overstocked tank was fun for a while, then it collapsed while I was on vacation. The brown plague took over after 4 weeks of vacationing without any hitches. EVERYTHING died and the poor kid who was care taking was traumatized to see the tank look a little off color one day to showing up the next day to the grim reaper. Poor kid. That's never going to happen again.

Anyhow, Marineland compensated me for the lost stock from the 29 gallon tank, seeing as how I had no way to keep them alive for long. I did not mention to them the lost stock of the 55 gallon stock. That was my fault.

The silver lining is I have a simpler tank set up now and I don't feel financially cheated. So, I'm just going to keep enjoying the hobby!
Whered ya' contact them? I used their contact us form on the website and they never got back to me.
Ive got a stealth that needs to be replaced by the new version o_0.

Eheim Pimp # 434
One 75G Powered by Two 2217's, two 20L Shrimp Tanks, and a 10G QT Tank!
AquariumNoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 04:59 AM   #278
BenderBendingRodriguez
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Hi there. I recently returned 5 of these since I got back into the hobby recently and didn't want to have dangerous heaters in my tanks. I found this link on google
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11202.html
and called the hotline and had no trouble sending them back. It's the first number on the page. They emailed me a packing slip and paid for shipping. Very easy process. They even reimbursed me for them.
BenderBendingRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 05:03 AM   #279
AquariumNoob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenderBendingRodriguez View Post
Hi there. I recently returned 5 of these since I got back into the hobby recently and didn't want to have dangerous heaters in my tanks. I found this link on google
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11202.html
and called the hotline and had no trouble sending them back. It's the first number on the page. They emailed me a packing slip and paid for shipping. Very easy process. They even reimbursed me for them.
Awesome. Gonna call tomorrow, then .

Eheim Pimp # 434
One 75G Powered by Two 2217's, two 20L Shrimp Tanks, and a 10G QT Tank!
AquariumNoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #280
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSM View Post
So instead of taking the time to unplug it, you continue to run the risk of a heater exploding while your arms/face are potentially in the tank?
Don't we all pull the plug on our heaters anytime we lower the water level? I thought that was taught to us when we were still wearing diapers.

I have, a couple of times, forgotten to unplug the heater, but each time I remembered as soon as I looked in the tank and saw the top of the heater. I would never rely on the heater to shut down automatically with low water.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.