BMueller's 20 High - High Tech - update 10.11.10
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
BMueller777
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Arrow

BMueller's 20 High - High Tech - update 10.11.10

Sup guys,

So I had a 12"x12" Planted Cube tank on a dresser in my room and I figured I'd upgrade it to a 20H to utilize the space better...

Tank: 24"x13"x16" - 20 US gal. - AGA

Filter: AquaClear 50, planning to upgrade to a AC110 (once I go and get it from storage), put the heater inside it, probably on minimal flow.

Heater: 50 watt Tetra heater, pre-set (76*-78*F)

Substrate: 30 lbs. Eco-Complete, 15 lbs. Active Flora

Hardscape: One piece of Driftwood 10 lbs.

Lighting: 36 watt Coralife 12" - 2x18 watt - 10,000*K **

**Just ordered a 48 watt Nova Extreme HO T5 24" light, "Freshwater"
Comes with one 10,000*K and another plant friendly bulb.

CO2: (Coming soon, in same order as the light) Dual CO2 Regulator with Needle Valve and Solenoid for Paintball Tanks, (2) 20 oz. paintball tanks. Bubble counter <1 BPS

I want to make a DIY Diffuser. Anyone have any ideas?

Ferts: Daily dosing of 5 mL Excel, 2 mL of Flourish x2 a week, occasional Iron dosing, (4) root tabs, and the substrate (see above).

Flora:
Java Moss, vesicularia dubyana
Ciliata, cryptocoryne ciliata
Lutea, cryptocoryne lutea
Dwarf Hairgrass, Eleocharis acicularis
Amazon Sword, echinodorus bleheri
Narrow Leaf Chain Sword, echindorus tennellus
Bronze Wendtii, cryptocoryne wendtii v.
Java Fern, microsorum pteropus

Fauna:
(1) Male Betta
(1) Cory Cat (planning on getting 2-3 more for a small school)
(1) Trapdoor Snail
(2) Cherry Shrimp
(4) Ghost Shrimp
(6) Rummy Nose Tetras (definitely getting more, they are awesome)
(6) Sword Tails (different kinds, not sure who's who, GF liked them so there you have it... lol) I also think they are/will be pregnant, the three females are getting chase around.
(10) Neon Tetras (may want to even out the Rummy : Neon ratio)

I'm also thinking about getting a L134 pleco, little pricey but they look sweet IMO. I'm waiting on the lights, CO2 regulator, tubing, check valve, and one other thing, forgot what it is...

And alas, pictures:

Front view:

Left Side:

Right Side:

Java Moss on Driftwood:

So let me know what you guys think. I'm open to all suggestions and comments.

-BMueller

Last edited by BMueller777; 10-12-2010 at 04:23 AM..
BMueller777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2010, 04:53 AM   #2
BMueller777
Planted Member

...Bump...
Old 02-28-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
charlie11
Algae Grower

looks good but im still a newb too. just started my 250 gallon tank
charlie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
BMueller777
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie11 View Post
looks good but im still a newb too. just started my 250 gallon tank
Thanks, a planted 250?! That'd be sweet lol... I'd have that or bigger if I had the space...

Wonder what I have to do to intrigue you guys...

Anyone have input for a DIY diffuser??
Old 02-28-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
narhay
Planted Tank Obsessed

Google DIY chopstick diffuser
narhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:45 AM   #6
BMueller777
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by narhay View Post
Google DIY chopstick diffuser

Thanks, Ill give that a try.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:18 AM   #7
dooboogoo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Great looking tank! love that wood!
dooboogoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:25 AM   #8
toddg
Algae Grower

Send a message via ICQ to toddg

Lookin' good. Keeps me undecided on my tank setup in progress of going with a simple black background or the diy concrete 'rock' wall. I really like the look of what you have with the black substrate and black back.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:50 AM   #9
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)

If you split the hair grass into smaller portions about 1/4"x1/4" and replant that way it will spread faster and more evenly. Can you change the woods direction at all or is this the best side?

Craog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
Craigthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
problemman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (43/100%)

i would have to say you have a tad to many fish for the size of the tank. i would say move a few swords out as they will get biger and dont add any other fish other then a buddy for the cory.
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.
problemman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #11
IZZIE
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/88%)

I agree. my 1st thought was wow 20 gallons . thats too many fish . I would get the GF her own 20 gal tank for her swordtails. def do NOT add anymore fish . You are stocked now. 2 more corys will be fine, they are bottom dwellers, but IMHO you will be doing 50% water changes now to keep all the fish healthy. esp with that huge pc of wood taking up swimming space' BUT uknow the tank looks great !!! good job ! and everything you have coming in ordered will make it a awesome planted tank . when your plants boom with the co2, the fish will swim higher behind tall plants. But I would still worry you have too many now, and not to add anything more. think about water swimming space' They probally have 10 gallons after that wood is in the middle, It IS a great looking pc of wood thow !! also IF you add any cherry shrimp, they will just be a expensive snack for yoru fish. A ghost shrimp may' be ok. buy one and see if it stays left alone. I agree with the hairgrass suggestion, it will spread all over when you add the co2 and plant smaller bushes of it. And all your plants are looking good GL & HTH Also DEF DONT put betta in with the swordtails, maybye even rummys, I would ask around.. they tend to fight anything with a pretty tail . lol

and how big does yrou pleco max out at ? under 5" max adult length is fine. plec's poop alot, so again with this overstock you will want to maintain your 50% water changes every week . Esp with the co2 and stock . You have a very cool tank set up . I really like your layout.
IZZIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:07 PM   #12
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Beautiful bit of wood there. If you get the pleco he will love it and it is going to even better when the plants grow and surround it more. When the swords grow up the wood will be less conspicuous.

It is a lot of work but splitting the hair grass is worth the trouble. Could split the chain sword as well.

I like ghost shrimp. Cheap and lots of fun to watch. Even in my currently sparsely planted 100 gallon tank with few hidey holes and an overflow 3 out of 3 have survived several weeks with corys and platies.

If you are determined to have that pleco I would take out the swordtails and betta and not add any more rummy noses. If you decide to wait on the pleco then increase the rummy school and 2 more corys. Less is more.
Kathyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #13
BMueller777
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooboogoo View Post
Great looking tank! love that wood!
Thank you, it was the oddest looking piece at the LFS I was at. I plan to attach more plants to the other pieces... Maybe some Anubis Nana (the small one that can be attached, I think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddg View Post
Lookin' good. Keeps me undecided on my tank setup in progress of going with a simple black background or the diy concrete 'rock' wall. I really like the look of what you have with the black substrate and black back.
IMO/E black is easiest to keep clean, natural colored gravel shows any kind of debris for the most part, same with light colored sand... The Eco-Complete and Active Flora is easy to clean and it doesn't show much debris. I want to do a rock wall at some point but I think it would be best to do it with some kinda drilled tank and/or with a canister filter, make the intake and returns within the rock wall. The AC110 I have hooked up would look silly against a rock wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
If you split the hair grass into smaller portions about 1/4"x1/4" and replant that way it will spread faster and more evenly. Can you change the woods direction at all or is this the best side?

Craog
Yeah, I'd love to do that but the wood is like 10" deep so getting my hand down in the front of the tank is tough... Hopefully the CO2 and lights speeds that up... And yes, that is the woods best side, it has a cave like thing on the left side, the fish are always going in and out of it and it also has a nice shaded part with an over hang where the Neons chill. I'll try and get some better pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemman View Post
i would have to say you have a tad to many fish for the size of the tank. i would say move a few swords out as they will get biger and dont add any other fish other then a buddy for the cory.
Yeah we got a little carried away, might set up the Cube once again to move some fish, probably the Betta and the Neons... I do however have an AC110 on the tank now with all the media from the AC50 plus more bio rings, a 110 foam block and two of the 110's bio media bags on the top with the other rings...

Sounds like a lot but the filter is HUGE and I still had enough room to put the heater inside the filter. The temp hasn't moved from 78*F in the past 48 hours which is great IMO...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZZIE View Post
I agree. my 1st thought was wow 20 gallons . thats too many fish . I would get the GF her own 20 gal tank for her swordtails. def do NOT add anymore fish . You are stocked now. 2 more corys will be fine, they are bottom dwellers, but IMHO you will be doing 50% water changes now to keep all the fish healthy. esp with that huge pc of wood taking up swimming space' BUT uknow the tank looks great !!! good job ! and everything you have coming in ordered will make it a awesome planted tank . when your plants boom with the co2, the fish will swim higher behind tall plants. But I would still worry you have too many now, and not to add anything more. think about water swimming space' They probally have 10 gallons after that wood is in the middle, It IS a great looking pc of wood thow !! also IF you add any cherry shrimp, they will just be a expensive snack for yoru fish. A ghost shrimp may' be ok. buy one and see if it stays left alone. I agree with the hairgrass suggestion, it will spread all over when you add the co2 and plant smaller bushes of it. And all your plants are looking good GL & HTH Also DEF DONT put betta in with the swordtails, maybye even rummys, I would ask around.. they tend to fight anything with a pretty tail . lol

and how big does yrou pleco max out at ? under 5" max adult length is fine. plec's poop alot, so again with this overstock you will want to maintain your 50% water changes every week . Esp with the co2 and stock . You have a very cool tank set up . I really like your layout.
Yeah... too many fish lol... Oops... I'll work something out to fix the situation... I do a 25% WC every morning before dosing ferts. My water parameters are good, no nitrites, less then 10 nitrates, no ammonia, pH 7.

I've got about 55 lbs of substrate and wood so that's like a loss of 7 gallons... Thanks for the positive comments lol. I got the regulator today along with the tubing and the bubble counter... Guess we're ordering Chinese food tonight so I can make the diffuser hahaha...

ThatPetPlace apparently ships lighting systems separate so that should be here by the end of today (hopefully... I've got a feeling it'll be tomorrow though)

The Betta has been though a lot, we've had him for over a year and he's been attacked by a Ram and then tired committing suicide.. I found him under the dresser covered in dust and what not =/ Thought he'd be done for but I figured I'd try and do what I could so I put him in the tank while still in my hand and I brushed off all of the crap and he just came back to life... Goin' on about 5 days now with some new fin growth and back to full color, eating like a pig... He's a laid back fish now... Maybe because he has an understanding of death now lmao...

I haven't gotten a Pleco yet... I'm waiting to have the plants grow a lot more and have less fish in the tank overall...

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Beautiful bit of wood there. If you get the pleco he will love it and it is going to even better when the plants grow and surround it more. When the swords grow up the wood will be less conspicuous.

It is a lot of work but splitting the hair grass is worth the trouble. Could split the chain sword as well.

I like ghost shrimp. Cheap and lots of fun to watch. Even in my currently sparsely planted 100 gallon tank with few hidey holes and an overflow 3 out of 3 have survived several weeks with corys and platies.

If you are determined to have that pleco I would take out the swordtails and betta and not add any more rummy noses. If you decide to wait on the pleco then increase the rummy school and 2 more corys. Less is more.
I'll play it by year with the hair grass, I've already split the Chain Sword into two plants, might get a new pot or two... The Pleco will come later down the road. My Ghost Shrimp are pretty big, all four of them have like red little dots and stripes and one of them has some navy blue lines and what not... They molt a lot, only had them for about a month and they've done it like 10 times already...

I do want to move the Betta and maybe the Neons to my Cube I have.

Idealistically I want a tank, heavily planted, with a school of Rummy Nose (like 15), 3 Corys, Shrimps, the trapdoor snail, a pleco... Not really much else...

I'll have an update up by 5 pm today with some pics...

Thanks guys,
-Brian
Old 03-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #14
BMueller777
Planted Member

Sorry, I lied... GF took the camera to work today updates tonight maybe after class...

I got my regulator, air line tubing, and bubble counter... no directions for anything though... guess i'll have to do trial on error lol....

I'm still waiting for my check valve though (might just go and pick one up) and light isn't here yet either since it's shipped separate...

I added my AC110 and put the heater inside and added a redish plant in the back...
Old 03-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #15
cAndrewt
Algae Grower

i see that you also know about co2 in paintball, i was wondering how you rigged up the noid for it to work?
cAndrewt is offline   Reply With Quote