150 gallon aquarium
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
ridiculous
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

150 gallon aquarium

Hello, just got a new aquarium its 150 gal.
48x24x31, with a co2 system. If at all possible my goal is to give the plants the proper amount of light without having to take off my canopy and hanging lights
Looking to raise medium to low light plants in this aquarium. Please help!

Last edited by ridiculous; 02-27-2010 at 04:05 PM..
ridiculous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2010, 12:24 AM   #2
papajoe
Algae Grower

Default Ooops !

Either you were told the incorrect gallonage or your dimension are incorrect.

Your question indicates you need to read, read, read. I've been reading now for two weeks and I'm finally considering starting a setup.

Read.

joe
papajoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2010, 02:41 AM   #3
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

If those dimensions are right, it's a 250 gallon tank! And, reaching all of the substrate is going to be very difficult with that height and depth. But, it should look spectacular and you will have room for almost any fish you want to try.

Because of the tank size I don't think it is a good idea to expect to remove the light fixture/hood/canopy to do tank maintenance. So, I would go with an open top tank, with a hanging light fixture or fixtures. The 36 inch front to back depth almost forces you to build your own light fixture, so you can spread out the light over the whole tank. You could use 4-60 inch T5HO lights, with the bulbs about 6 inches above the top of the tank, and get low light intensity, but you would need those lights separated by about 10 inches between bulbs. Then to do maintenance you just raise the fixture another foot, to get more room.

Also, be sure to use permanent plumbing to handle water changing and replenishing. If you have to drag hoses around every time you work on the tank that will soon dim your enthusiasm for the tank.

I hope you start a journal in the Tank Journals forum to let us watch as this is built up - it will be extremely interesting.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
ridiculous
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
If those dimensions are right, it's a 250 gallon tank! And, reaching all of the substrate is going to be very difficult with that height and depth. But, it should look spectacular and you will have room for almost any fish you want to try.

Because of the tank size I don't think it is a good idea to expect to remove the light fixture/hood/canopy to do tank maintenance. So, I would go with an open top tank, with a hanging light fixture or fixtures. The 36 inch front to back depth almost forces you to build your own light fixture, so you can spread out the light over the whole tank. You could use 4-60 inch T5HO lights, with the bulbs about 6 inches above the top of the tank, and get low light intensity, but you would need those lights separated by about 10 inches between bulbs. Then to do maintenance you just raise the fixture another foot, to get more room.

Also, be sure to use permanent plumbing to handle water changing and replenishing. If you have to drag hoses around every time you work on the tank that will soon dim your enthusiasm for the tank.

I hope you start a journal in the Tank Journals forum to let us watch as this is built up - it will be extremely interesting.
Yeah I goofed bad. I been reading actually for a while now, I just decided to give it a try. Lighting just seems like a different language to me. If it can be avoided I don't want an open tank because tire track eels I absolutely must have.

I think the journal is actually a great thing to do thanks for your info. Do you think its feasible with the new dimensions
Old 02-27-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

You could use four foot T5HO lights. One bulb, with a Tek quality reflector will give you low light right under the bulb. Three bulbs separated by about 8 inches between bulbs would give good uniformity of lighting and still low light. Those could be right at the top of the tank, in a hood/canopy that closes off the top. I wouldn't try to use a multiple bulb fixture right at the top of the tank though - too much light right under the fixture and not enough near the front and back glasses.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
ridiculous
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
You could use four foot T5HO lights. One bulb, with a Tek quality reflector will give you low light right under the bulb. Three bulbs separated by about 8 inches between bulbs would give good uniformity of lighting and still low light. Those could be right at the top of the tank, in a hood/canopy that closes off the top. I wouldn't try to use a multiple bulb fixture right at the top of the tank though - too much light right under the fixture and not enough near the front and back glasses.
This sounds like a plan sir. Any recommendation on were to find the best deal for for T5HO light fixtures. At my local fish store they only sale the Coralife double fixtures. Would two double light fixtures one in the rear and one in the front work or would the bulbs still be to close together. Or could I go with 3 of them on in rear one in the middle and one in front.

47" T5 RETRO - 2 X 54W
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/popu...D=1125&image=0
or
four one of these http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...<br /> &tab=2
or
2 of these http://www.hamiltontechnology.com/sh...+Retrofit+Kits

I sure hope somebody can recommend something cheaper!

Last edited by ridiculous; 02-27-2010 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: so so confused
Old 02-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
papajoe
Algae Grower

Hello again. Side comment - In the DIY sub forum there is an epic sticky by Hoppy in his pursuit of a homebuilt LED fixture. It is a MUST read.

Incredeible perserverance. You're in good hands with him . . . . . .
papajoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2010, 09:10 PM   #8
ridiculous
Algae Grower

Here's what I've decide to go with:

4 Tek Light reflectors.............................$85 best place to get these from http://fishsupply.com/slss-rf10140.html
8 Endcaps........................................... $48 (I can use any end cap I want to right long as it for a T5HO)
8 Standoffs......................................... Do I really need this or can just use spacers
4 Retrofit Lamp Clips..............................$8
4 T5HO lamps......................................$120.00 estimate
Not sure how many ballast I would need or what type...........................n/a

where the best place to find these items can I do this project any cheaper. LOL with saddest face possible
Old 02-27-2010, 10:25 PM   #9
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

T5NO fixtures give about half or a little more than half of the light that T5HO fixtures give, so a two bulb T5NO fixture, like http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/209500/product.web is roughly the same as a one bulb T5HO fixture. You could use 3 of those, or try to make just two work, keeping them spaced around one foot apart, and right at the top of the tank. I think this is what I would try.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:37 PM   #10
ridiculous
Algae Grower

thank you for the help. Just to clarify go with 3 T5NO's instead of 3 T5HO's right. I know you were straight forward but I am married so I have to make sure I verify everything. Also money isn't that big of an issue even though the more in my pocket the more I smile. Thanks again you have been a great help.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #11
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiculous View Post
thank you for the help. Just to clarify go with 3 T5NO's instead of 3 T5HO's right. I know you were straight forward but I am married so I have to make sure I verify everything. Also money isn't that big of an issue even though the more in my pocket the more I smile. Thanks again you have been a great help.
I think I would start with just two of those lights, to see how that works, knowing I could add a third one if needed. Of course if you bought 3 to start with you could run just two to see if that works. There are always options with lighting, and in the end you go with what you find works well for you.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #12
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I don't see why you would use normal output T5 on a 30" deep tank.
No reason to spend $200 on 3 T5NO fixtures when you can get one HO fixture that produces more light

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/prod...oducts_id=1630
Old 03-13-2010, 03:30 PM   #13
fastfreddie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Hey Ridiculous!
Welcome to TPT. I grew up in Goldsboro not far away from you! Congrats on your tank purchase, and I saw your post in the swap n shop regarding the Lucanus jigs and loving to fish. I lived in Wrightsville beach, and still fish inshore/ off shore out of Cape Fear area a few dozen times a year.

I have a resource in Wilmington you may want to check in with. It's a store called Progressive Gardens on Oleander Dr. My cousin works there and it's owned by some good friends. They actually specialize in gardening, but they carry the TEK brand. Tell them Cousin Fred sent you. Here is their website:
http://www.progressivegardens.com/

My cousin actually has a 180 set up inside the store that has a TEK fixture, and he uses the TEK light (compliments of me... they were too bright for my tank) on his tank at home as well. It's saltwater, but he can really help you out with your lighting options/ plumbing/ etc. His name is Bert and he is mostly there on weekends, but anyone in the store would be qualified to help for sure. You could probably call and tell them what you need and they could give you a price range. It may be higher than the web since they are a retail outlet, but the TEK stuff is expensive, even at wholesale prices.

Looking forward to your tank progress!
Old 03-13-2010, 10:51 PM   #14
blazer
Algae Grower

Hey all,

Its kind of ironic and was going to post a VERY similar question. So... I am about to purchase a 150gallon tank that is also 48"L x 24"W x 31"H

I've got a TEK T5HO 48x4 fixture on top of my tank that is going to be replaced.
Is that TEK light going to be bright enough for the tank that is 31"high?

Thanks
blazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2010, 05:34 AM   #15
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer View Post
Hey all,

Its kind of ironic and was going to post a VERY similar question. So... I am about to purchase a 150gallon tank that is also 48"L x 24"W x 31"H

I've got a TEK T5HO 48x4 fixture on top of my tank that is going to be replaced.
Is that TEK light going to be bright enough for the tank that is 31"high?

Thanks
It will give you plenty of light in the middle part of the tank, but not necessarily near the front and back glasses. But, since it will give you high light, possibly more than the usual band of intensity considered to be high light, you can raise it a few inches, about 4-6 inches might work, and get better spread of the light, plus lowering the intensity to a more reasonable value.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.