best fish for eating snails
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-18-2010, 12:45 AM   #1
Fish4Fun
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

best fish for eating snails

whats the best fish that will eat snails but not attack other fish?
Fish4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

Puffer fish? They eat the whole thing, shell and all. Some loaches eat snail, but they only suck the body out so you'll have empty shells left.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:57 AM   #3
pandapr
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

loaches...I think a puffer will attack other fishes

"No se vive celebrando victorias, sino superando derrotas."
pandapr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 01:02 AM   #4
flanders
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

not a fish....but what about assassin snails! i've never had any b/c i have loaches, but always wanted some.

My zebra and chain loaches do a pretty good job of snail control.
flanders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 01:05 AM   #5
Fish4Fun
Planted Tank Enthusiast

well i still want shells so i think loach.. what kind? and assassins will attack other things wont they?
Old 02-18-2010, 01:11 AM   #6
flanders
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish4Fun View Post
well i still want shells so i think loach.. what kind? and assassins will attack other things wont they?
i'm pretty sure they only eat snails, but hey i could definitely be wrong.

My zebra loaches do a fine job. As do dwarf chain loaches. Clown loaches are great too, but they get enormous (very slowly).

The key to snail control, whether using loaches or not, is to not feed too much. Feed too much and you'll get an explosion of snails and some fat loaches that don't wanna work at eating snails.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:15 AM   #7
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

I could have sworn I saw on this forum that someone's assassin snails attacked their shrimp.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:23 AM   #8
flanders
Planted Member

oh yea, think i've heard that too. didn't realize OP had shrimp.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:26 AM   #9
Fish4Fun
Planted Tank Enthusiast

hmmm ok
well whats the best loach everyone?
Old 02-18-2010, 01:34 AM   #10
i love planted tanks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

i just bought a botia loach and a pokadot loach for my 60gal 4 snail control...see how they do
i love planted tanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 03:12 AM   #11
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

There is no one best Loach.

Loaches are social fish and will do better in groups of 5+. If your tank is small, then there is not going to be enough room for that many more fish.

What size is the tank, and what are the current fish, shrimp and snails (if any pet snails)?

http://forums.loaches.com/

Number one best snail solution is to cut the feeding in half. Really! If your tank has that many snails, you are feeding them. Feed only enough that the fish will be hungry and clean the tank better.
Then, from that half, feed a rotation of fresh or lightly cooked vegetables or a little fruit. These are fine for the fish to eat, and the snails will be attracted to them, too. Feed these in the evening, then scoop out the snails in the morning.
One of the best I have found is a thin slice of orange. The fish like the part we eat, the snails collect on the rind.

Another method: Pinch the snail and put it back into the tank. Quite a few fish like escargots, they just need help opening the package. If this works, then instead of reaching for the jar of fish food, pop a few snails as a meal once in a while.

As a first approach to snail control your feeding schedule might look like this:
2 days per week, AM: Flakes or other more or less floating food.
2 days per week, AM: Vegie or fruit for fish through the day, the remnant is bait for snails.
2 days per week, AM: pop snails.
1 day per week: no food.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 03:27 AM   #12
Delslo
Algae Grower

Right on the money!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
There is no one best Loach.

Loaches are social fish and will do better in groups of 5+. If your tank is small, then there is not going to be enough room for that many more fish.

What size is the tank, and what are the current fish, shrimp and snails (if any pet snails)?

http://forums.loaches.com/

Number one best snail solution is to cut the feeding in half. Really! If your tank has that many snails, you are feeding them. Feed only enough that the fish will be hungry and clean the tank better.
Then, from that half, feed a rotation of fresh or lightly cooked vegetables or a little fruit. These are fine for the fish to eat, and the snails will be attracted to them, too. Feed these in the evening, then scoop out the snails in the morning.
One of the best I have found is a thin slice of orange. The fish like the part we eat, the snails collect on the rind.

Another method: Pinch the snail and put it back into the tank. Quite a few fish like escargots, they just need help opening the package. If this works, then instead of reaching for the jar of fish food, pop a few snails as a meal once in a while.

As a first approach to snail control your feeding schedule might look like this:
2 days per week, AM: Flakes or other more or less floating food.
2 days per week, AM: Vegie or fruit for fish through the day, the remnant is bait for snails.
2 days per week, AM: pop snails.
1 day per week: no food.
Delslo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 03:28 AM   #13
Fish4Fun
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i have a 55g some shrimp (not really important), 3 fiddler crabs, and couple fish
Old 02-18-2010, 03:40 AM   #14
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Are the fiddler crabs a brackish water critter? I am not familiar with them as fresh water livestock.

Anyway, in a 55 gallon tank Loaches that grow to about 3-4" are fine, to 5" not too bad if you choose the right species, and you can get enough to make a good social group. Do not just get some Loaches cause they eat snails, though. Get Loaches because they are showy, active, playful and fun fish. The snail eating is an added bonus.

Zebra Loaches, Botia striata are very good community fish, but they will eat shrimp. They will eat snails.
Botia Kubotai, will also eat snails, and grow to a bit larger than the Zebra Loaches. I have not kept shrimp with them, but I would not be surprised that any Loach that eats snails would not also eat shrimp.

I have linked the species index for Loaches. Botia and Yasuhilotakia are the better species of snail eating Loach, but Dojo, Kuhlie and other loaches will eat snails, too. The hillstream Loaches are not snail eaters. Each has its own requirements to thrive, so have a look around at what fish are available to you, and research before you buy.

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/species-index
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 03:48 AM   #15
Fish4Fun
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i just mainly need them to keep the snails i will be getting to a low population.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.