Water Condition Meters / Probes
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 09-15-2004, 04:49 AM   #1
Inzeos
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Inzeos

Water Condition Meters / Probes

Wondering for those who use electronic based kits if anyone has a set up that can dump data to a PC for further analysis...

I know you can test pH and disolved solids with electronic meters, what else are you able to test besides temperature?

Leif
Inzeos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2004, 12:47 PM   #2
KevinC
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzeos
I know you can test pH and disolved solids with electronic meters, what else are you able to test besides temperature?

Leif
Leif:

I think you forgot the part about "for a reasonable cost". I can think of ways to measure most of our important components using electronic instrumentation (though automation is another matter). A scientific grade pH meter can be used with various probes (other than pH) to measure many ions (ion-selective electrodes). Most of the better meters and spectrometers allow output via serial port. I think even the Hach and LaMotte spectrometers do this. If you are familiar with the LabVIEW (National Instruments) icon-based programming, this type of software allows monitoring/automation/feedback on many things. All it takes is money - I think that is the deciding factor here though. You can't just pick up this stuff at the local discount store.

On a slightly related note, my local aquarium (SC Aquarium, Charleston, SC) has a complete pump/filter monitoring system - one operator takes a laptop and pager home at night. If anything goes wrong (clogged filter, pump dies), he/she is paged and can use the laptop from home to adjust parameters to fix the problem.

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 2x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2013, red tiger lotus, vals, java fern and moss, crypts, swords, mbuna tank: Yellow labs, Ps. demasoni, clown plecos, SAE's.

10g mini-reef. 16lbs LR, green mushroom, star polyps, wagon wheel polyps, purple mushroom, candycane, hammer, other zoas, CUC.
KevinC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.