Reef Tank Conversion - Concerns and Questions - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-03-2004, 03:44 AM   #16
Silent Running
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I hear you co2 about the more natural look. I was talking to my wife about it the other day and we agreed that the reef tank has a much more harsh look to it than the planted tanks we've been looking at.

I think I have decided to go with Eco-Complete. I'm probably going to order it this week.

I've started the tear down process of my reef at this point and have about 30% of the animals removed already. If you know someone in the Seattle area who's looking for some livestock, send 'em my way .

The ball is rolling

"I'd like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters

Eheim Pimp Club Member #64

My old 100 Gallon SeaClear established 11/7/2004. 4 GE Daylight Ultras on IceCap VHO ballasts. 3" Eco-complete substrate. Eheim 2028, pressurized CO2, external reactor. 18 watt Turbo Twist UV.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11648
Silent Running is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2004, 03:59 AM   #17
gnatster
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

You can always post your livestock on Reef Central. If it's reasonaly priced it will move VERY fast.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:45 AM   #18
Ngaio
Algae Grower

If you still have reef animals in need of homes you could try www.thereeftank.com. I know that there are a number of members in the Seattle area.
Ngaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 01:14 PM   #19
jmiz16
Planted Member

Hi Silent ,
join the club
Anyone that tells you a planted tank isn't cheap HAS NOT HAD A REEF DONE THE RIGHT WAY. COMPARATIVLEY SPEAKING.
I just converted my 250 reef to a planted tank about a year ago. WAY CHEAPER.
I had dual 250 MH + 6*96 watt pc on the reef. I lost the MH's and just kept the PC's. I suggest you do the same. The only thing you will have to do is change the VHO tubes from actinic to a noce combo of 5000k, 6700k, 8800k, and maybe a 10000k for a nice visual. The 10000k is for your eyes not the plants. If you just have the others the tank will appear yellow.
You can disconnect the Protien skimmer( there is a waste of 700 bucks) and the UV sterilizer is 100% optional, no harm no foul. No Calc reactor. Remove the bio balls from the wet dry and try to have the water cycle with no splash. I did that instead of buying a Fluval wich is the better can. filter from what I hear. I also had my tank "reef ready" so the overflow was built in.
I have 3 inches of flourite and no sand on top. Seems like the sand will eventually settle to the bottom anyway, especially when moving plants around and planting in the begining.
jmiz16 is offline   Reply With Quote