Pros. And Cons. Of Uv Sterilizer.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-02-2004, 08:28 PM   #1
jmiz16
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Pros. And Cons. Of Uv Sterilizer.

Another Everyday Question. Sorry.
jmiz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2004, 08:54 PM   #2
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Pretty much the same answers you received for the activated carbon.

A UV is helpful for certain disease or parasite outbreaks and can help get rid of green water algae. But there is no reason that I can see to run one full time on a tank.

BTW, the search function could have answered both of these questions for you in seconds.

Or if nothing else you could have combined the four questions into one post.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 09:55 PM   #3
GreenTank
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

hey I just purchased a TMC Vecton UV sterilizer. I have done alot of reading on it and after all my research It seems a worthwhile investment. Granted it cannot eliminate BBA which is attached to the plant, but with the right UV doseage you should be able to eliminate most of the BBA spores that are in the water column. So prior to installing mine, I intend to use 1:19 bleach to eliminate all BBA on my plants than do a large water change followed by turning on the UV which will hopefully kill any remaining spores still in the water. I think the big problem with UV is that most dont use it right, or when they do, dont allow for long enough duration for a good kill. ALso after doing a ton of reading the more popular brands of UV sterilizers are often critized as junk which can do little more than remove plaktonic (green water) algae. A few other real popular brands have been linked to fires do to poor electronics, which based on lawsuits has caused one maker to go out of business. So I think UV has its place, however you have to be very careful on how you use it. You need slow enough water pass throughs, for 100% kill rate, but not so slow that things rebreed in the tank during the slow turnover rate. There is also the fact that UV requires extrememly clear water to be effective, as colouration, debris and sediment will effectively block most UV light, so with this in mind you should use a regular amount of activated carbon to keep things clean prior to entering the UV. Check your canister filter for the right flow rates as this seems to be the best method. A dedicated pump will give you the right flow rates if picked accordingly however with no prefilter or carbon you are askiing for trouble. YOu should keep in mind that UV will oxidize some trace metals which may make it more difficult for plants to suck them up, iron is included here, also carbon has a short life span as do UV bulbs...

Supreme Eheim Pimpdaddy in Canada.. #40
GreenTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 01:23 AM   #4
fishyboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

it removes pretty much all diseases if set up right
cleans water

only cons are cost and it removes some iron i've heard
fishyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 01:28 AM   #5
Gomer
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Using one right now after I noticed an oto with Ich.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:02 AM   #6
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

I run a 9W Turbo twist and have not noticed a problem with nutrients. That could well be because I have just about been running one from the start, and have taken it into consideration when I figured out my dosing regime.

Mike
Old 10-04-2004, 02:35 AM   #7
Gomer
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

James hoftiezer runs one 24/7 as well and grows things really well. He does dose micros/iron daily though.