the places to go in the bay - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > California

Old 02-09-2005, 09:41 AM   #16
Nolan W.
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
the places to go in the bay

I recently bought 12 guppies (6 males, 6 females) from 6th Ave. Aquarium for $10 (6 for $5!). Bad move. Within 2 weeks, I lost all the guppies but 2 males, and about half my swordtail population. Many of the fish didn't show any visible signs of disease. I would wake up every morning of those 2 weeks and would find dead guppies and swordtails on the intake of my filter. I wouldn't recommend buying fish from them, and if you do, quarantine!!! Their plants are great, though, i got 4 bunch plants for $6.

I also visited Fairy Lake Discus on Clement and 17th. I got 5 julii (actually trilineatus) cories for $3 ea. By the time I got home, they were acting very sick, breathing rapidly, some had small wounds, one was belly-up, and the water smelled pretty funky. I lost one, and it took a few days, but now they are as happy as ever.

Isn't there some wholesale place in Hayward? I think they changed their name after their recent move. They used to be called 99 Fish or something. I got some good panda cories from them for 5 for $10. Anyone have info about them?
Nolan W. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2005, 10:20 AM   #17
Marc
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

well there use to be a 99 pets or something....they were in san bruno. they sell tons of fish. They are now aqua traders. They deal with high volume fish just like 6th ave. I would definitly quarantine ALL fish from them. I learned the hard way.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:41 PM   #18
supaoopa
Planted Member

Well I just had a bad experience at Nippon. Went to get some amano shrimp, asked for 4 but was only charged for 1. When in my car I was curious why the total had come out so cheap, looked in my bag to see that two of the shrimp were already limp and floating on their side. Guess the guy was to lazy to just take them out and get me two more healthy shrimp! so he didn't charge me for the dead ones! And gave me a 2 for 1 deal on the remaining two!! HOw nice of them. There plants are nice tho and equipment resonably priced, but i don't think I;m going to bother going back there for shrimp (of fish).

I'm loving Ocean Aquarium more and more each time i visit them. They're prices are a little high (still reasonable), but i think its a a deal considering the high quality of the fish. Plus their knowledge and service is worth every penny spent there.

Recently got some riccia at 6th ave. Good quality except for the hair algea that came with it. I have not purchased any fish from them yet (don't think i ever will) but they're prices on some equipment is almost equal to what you will find on the net.
supaoopa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2005, 07:07 PM   #19
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)

I've had similar experiences w/the female employee in the past at Albany. While I understand that it can be annoying if you're answering simple questions all day, but to be doing so consistently really bugs me (I used to work in the same business but w/SW and reef instead).

Also, in regards to Tom Barr's experiences with her in the past, I think that was a thing of the past. Tom has good relationship w/Guy there and I think that he deals directly with Guy now instead of her.

I've purchased a number of plants from Albany in the past (when I first started), but after dealing with them for awhile, I've stopped giving them my money. I browse mostly nowadays due to the prices that they charge and also since the local club around here is great for supplying plants at the swaps.

As for fish, SAEs are the only ones that I've ever bought from them. They were the only store to consistently stock on them (at $5 each ), but some of the others have them nowadays, and at a fraction of the price.

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2005, 11:03 PM   #20
Marc
Wannabe Guru

Eric i can tell why you frown at the price of the sae's @ 5 bucks each! Got a few for 1.99 @ nippon
Old 02-11-2005, 11:52 PM   #21
shalu
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibn
I browse mostly nowadays due to the prices that they charge and also since the local club around here is great for supplying plants at the swaps.
But many of the more rare plants at the plant swaps were from Albany originally though
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2005, 02:54 AM   #22
Nolan W.
Planted Member

Just a summary of where to go for what in San Francisco (blanks will be filled in when I visit):

Aqua Forest Aquarium, 1718 Fillmore - The only place in the city that carries ADA products. Nice show tanks. They do have some uncommon fish, like mosquito rasboras, as well as a larger selection of plants than most other places can offer, but don't expect bargain prices. $15.99 for a "Red Arc" pencilfish, so $89.94 for a school of 6 fish! Prices are similar to Ocean Aquarium's.

Aquatic Central, 1963 Ocean - Haven't been here for a while, but the last time I checked, they had otos and chessboard cichlids, Crenicara filamentosa.

Fairy Lake Discus Palace, 1609 Clement - I know they have discus, and Corydoras trilineatus. I also saw C. adolfoi for $8, tetras, and rams. Good quality.

Lucky Ocean Aquarium, 109 Balboa - Good place for acrylic tanks and supplies.

Nippon Goldfish Co., 3109 Geary (GONE) - A lot of stuff is overpriced, but they did have good deals on SAE's and Amano shrimp, as well as some healthy plants. Good quality.

Ocean Aquarium, 120 Cedar - Expensive, but you'll find rare fish here, such as Dianema catfish, Endler's livebearers, and Corydoras habrosus. Prices are similar to Nippon's. Great quality.

Sixth Avenue Aquarium, 425 Clement - Low prices, but bad quality fish. The guppies I got here had 8% survival rate! Great prices on plants, but not the best quality. If you get fish here, quarantine them for a few weeks before adding to your main tank. Good quality tubifex worms, $1/oz.

Tropical Reef, ? Taraval -

SFBAAPS

Last edited by Nolan W.; 07-14-2005 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: Updated info
Old 02-28-2005, 07:09 AM   #23
Marc
Wannabe Guru

Tropical Reef on Taravel is a waste of time IMO. They use to have a good selection of Discus there but not anymore. They have some R Indica and thats about it....i would pass this place up.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:01 AM   #24
motard
Algae Grower

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' SeaHorse
undefined

To everyone who shops at Albany Aquarium and have complaints about that certain female employee who to you seems rude, maybe you should actually come in the store open-minded and ready to learn something, instead of coming in like Patrick Starfish from SpongeBob Squarepants and drooling all over yourselves. I go in weekly and see the silliness that she has to deal with and if I was that "certain employee" I would take a probably act the same way and be just as annoyed with the customers . You look at the young lady and because she is more knowledgeable than you who must be at least then she you feel offended when she gives more information than your minds can handle then you feel dumb and feel like making it look like she is wrong. Not to mention is that you don't go to this store for the good feeling services, you go to this store for the wealth of information and research that this young lady obviously has done....you might try listening to her, and your fish and plants wouldn't die.....
this is probably the girl from Albany trying to defend herself.

That kid has a real bad attitude and is just overall rude person who would normally be fired from any "normal" retail business. Why the owner keeps her on board is anyones guess.
The owner is a nice person, but she just hurts the business. I went in to buy something and it was not even 10 minutes to closing and she was already trying to kick me out! To top it off, she lied and said some particular livestock was not for sale when I had already spoken to Guy the owner, who told me it was. When I told of this and said Ill talk to the manager myself, she ran to the front to try and whisper in his ear not to sell. In the end, Guy sold me the livestock albeit at a higher price due to the girl's wierd secret talk.

Not Cool. Probably wont head over that way again, I can buy cheaper and just as much if not more selection in the city and I wont have to deal with that punk kid.

Nothing but positive things to say about Oceans off of Van Ness
motard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2005, 10:32 PM   #25
Samosette
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Default Retail

Anyone in retail who gripes about "stupid" or "ignorant" people should not be in "Retail". That person is in the wrong business. People may ask stupid questions at time, but you dont know where that person is coming from. But isnt that what your gettting paid to do? Customer service? He/she may not know the simpliest things. Thats why they came to you correct? I especially hate it when I ask If they have a shrimp in stock(any LFS) and they guy says, "I dont think so". I mean, I just drove 20-30 mintues(the guy would not know how long i came to get there) to get to this place and have them say, I dont think so? Cant you check before you say that? I usually only ask this question about shrimps, cause they hide and not all LFS mark their shrimp tanks.

Seriously, If you cant smile and answer a question that is stupid to you, dont work in retail.
If you cant stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
Samosette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2005, 10:38 PM   #26
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalu
But many of the more rare plants at the plant swaps were from Albany originally though
Very true, Sha. There's quite a few plants that came from them, but at the prices that they charge and for the drive, I find Charley's (lowcoaster) selection and prices very reasonable.

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2005, 07:15 PM   #27
Jim
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to Jim
Default Sunrise Tropicals - For Discus in SF Bay Area

Hello all. I'm a new addition to the board (I have a 85G planted discus tank) and am learning a lot from the good posts, so thanks. Anyone interested in discus should check out Sunrise Tropicals in Daly City. The owner's name is Tony and he has amazing fish -- very high quality and he is extremely knowledgeable. I have buy my fish from him exclusively and have had excellent results so far.

Here is a link to his site...

www.sunrisetropicals.com

Jim
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2005, 02:16 AM   #28
Marc
Wannabe Guru

I live right down the street from there! Definitly great Discus selection.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:08 AM   #29
Nolan W.
Planted Member

I just got back from Ocean Aquarium. The stuff Justin has never fails to amaze me. I couldn't even name half of the livestock he had. And how the heck does he keep "high-light" plants alive in a "low-light" setting? I saw Rotala macrandra in many of his tanks! Everyone who has been there knows that he doesn't even use compact fluorescents. Other uncommon plants I recognized: Cabomba caroliniana, C. furcata, Blyxa japonica, Marsilea exarata, Hydrocotyle vulgaris, and H. ranunculoides.

SFBAAPS
Old 04-15-2005, 02:45 AM   #30
Marc
Wannabe Guru

hey nolan did you see any L. Repens there? I gave him a massive amount a few weeks ago!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.