10g Half-Moon journal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-06-2010, 01:04 AM   #1
AkCrimson
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

10g Half-Moon journal

Back in November my boss said I could to pick up a tank for the office. At that point I wasn't in any way privy to the ways of the planted tank. I was literally at PetCo, went "Hmm, live plants? Pretty." Asked the PetCo employee if they would live, etc etc etc. So as I did research I learned I did almost everything the wrong way (nice of the PetCo employee to give me all the wrong info huh), from the gear I bought to the way I setup to the plants I got. So here is my progression of learning =) I apologize for the crappy pics, they were all taken with my phone. I promise to get some nice ones.

Original setup with regular gravel and mostly non-aquatic plants.

Added some actual aquatic plants, such as java fern and sag.

Changed the substrate to Eco-Complete, added africa fern.

Got some crypt spiralis, anubias, and anacharis. And otos

Realized the anubias needs to be tied to something. Got some mopani driftwood and tied it down. Also got some more crypts (wendtii? and ?)

Had some extra Java Fern, so I tied it down to the wood also. Bought two dario dario, lost one two days later

Blacked out the back (sorry I couldn't get a pic without glare)

So this tank currently has;

Size - 10gal 'Half-Moon'
Date Started - November 15, 2009

Lighting - 24W LED 10,000K
C02/Ferts - Seachem Liquid dosing regime (for now)
Heating - 50W Tetra brand heater

Plants - Crypt spiralis, java ferns, anubias nana, dwarf sag, crypt. wendtii, misc crypt?, anacharis, africa fern.
Inhabitants - a few platy fry, RCS, 3 otos, and one dario dario.

I've noticed some bad holes in the java ferns, and a few in the anubias. I'm guessing it's from lack of potassium, so I am going to increase the dosage in that.

I also lost one RCS this Monday along with one scarlet badis. I don't know if this has anything to do with the Excel or is just coincidence? Any ideas? I heard that it can 'burn' your plants and inverts if dosed too high.
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2010, 03:38 AM   #2
MARIMOBALL
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

scarlet badis will only eat frozen or live food. try finding Hikari frozen daphnea. Excel can literally cook you shrimp. I have done it before. The Amano's were pink as if you cooked them in a pot. Your tank is coming along nicely. I would hide the heater way down behind the stems. some nice branchy manzanita wood would look nice turned upside down to make it look like roots would be cool.

http://socalaquascapers.com/
MARIMOBALL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
Taysius
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Great improvements! Seems like an odd shape to work with and it's looking very nice. Sorry to hear about the deaths.
75g on the way!
Taysius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2010, 11:25 PM   #4
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

lookin good...i didn't know they had fish in alaska
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #5
AkCrimson
Planted Member

The badis is constantly hiding, but he is still here and he looks okay so he must be eating the bloodworms/shrimp. It's a really weird shape to work with and to be honest I'm not the biggest fan of it but it's interesting to say the least...

So should I stop the excel all together? I don't have money for a C02 setup, nor do I know enough about it to venture that yet.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
leemacnyc
Planted Member

DIY Co2...about $5
leemacnyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
AkCrimson
Planted Member

Do you think 2.4 WPG LED, on a 'tall' style tank, needs c02?

This is also an office tank. We have a mini fridge but my resources are somewhat limited.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #8
AkCrimson
Planted Member

Update - There are now 6 cardinals (I had two deaths) in the tank, as well as some RCS.

I added DIY c02 a couple days ago, and I've already gone from less than 5ppm to 18! Took forever because I was waiting on my diffusers I ordered from fish street.

Next step - start dosing ferts. I've heard it's better to dry dose potassium sulfate, is this true? Because I started dosing the 29 with a solution.

Also! I think my dwarf sag is definitely not dwarf, because it's gettin huge!
Old 03-23-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
Tamelesstgr
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

I learned all the wrong way at first too, nice pregression, I like where the tank is at now.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:19 PM   #10
AlexXx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow nice tank! Ive never seen one shaped like that. Really like how its been coming along though! Keep up the good work!
Old 03-23-2010, 10:23 PM   #11
AkCrimson
Planted Member

The crypts are kinda starting to dominate the middle background of the tank. Not sure what to do about this yet, as they are so sensitive to being moved. Probably just wait until I see something I like at the lfs and move the spirals to my 29.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:42 PM   #12
thewesterngate
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Crypt. spiralis definitely gets huge, I have some that are at least two feet long! This is a very nice progression.. Crypts are hardier than they get credit for, I move mine from one tank to another with very little to no melting, just be gentle.
thewesterngate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2010, 08:36 AM   #13
albirdy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/100%)

wow. impressive progression. i would agree: the half moon shape does seem difficult to work with. what kind of filtration do you have?
albirdy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2010, 11:26 PM   #14
AkCrimson
Planted Member

Okay so this half moon is proving very hard to work with. BUT it's alright right now. I really really like the color the LEDs give, but it's very dark. I've been thinking about trying to find some way to add a secondary lighting method to this tank.

The mopani driftwood is now buried under Java Fern and Anubias. The "dwarf" hairgrass has turned out to be not dwarf at all, so I moved it to the back of the tank for now. The Cardinals and dario dario love their space, though one Cardinal freaked and managed to jump out through the tiny hole by the filter, I saved him though....scary!

SOOOOOoooo I want to do something with this tank but...I don't know WHAT! I can order plants online but I need to do so soon....it's going to be too cold to ship anything by September. I'm open to suggestions and ideas for scaping this tank! I'm thinking some sort of tall straight stemmies for the back. There used to be Crypt. spiralis and I looooved it, but it melted away for some reason. Looks like it's making a very slow comeback.

Sorry the pics are all so dark, it's really hard to get a decent pic of this tank with the weird lighting

Playing with the underwater point and shoot

My little badis whom I love oh so much. <3 Thinking about moving him to the 5.5 but I'm not sure yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.