What is the dosage of flourish in mL?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 09-10-2004, 11:11 PM   #1
scalare altum
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to scalare altum

What is the dosage of flourish in mL?

I need to know what the dosage of flourish is on the bottle in mL. Mostly because if I know I can determine my CSM+B formula.

-Joel
We always put animals in cages so that we can take pleasure in seeing them. Perhpas if we put them in places that they can take pleasure in living in, then we would find them more beautiful to look at when they showed themselves. -Takashi Amano
scalare altum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2004, 11:30 PM   #2
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Your CSM+B formula is not the same as flourish so dosing it like flourish is illogical.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:48 PM   #3
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Greg Watson has posted a short piece on CSM+B as a micro nutrient source on gregwatson.com

Quick summary is that you need to dose 25% more CSM+B solution than Flourish...e.g., 1tsp of Flourish = 1.25tsp of CSM+B solution
Old 09-11-2004, 12:11 AM   #4
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

Just to fill in the missing info, the "CSM+B solution" is 1 tablespoon to 500 mL.

Anyhow, dosing like flourish won't get you the same concentrations like flourish. Flourish has way more iron in proportion to the other traces, and trying to correct that with 25% extra volume doesn't make it even close. Actually that 25% factor doesn't even make the iron dosings equal between fluorish and CSM+B. Certainly this is all doable and you will get your plants to grow - just want to mention that thinking it is like flourish is not correct. I used that 25% factor for a while but...

I now dose CSM+B by the PMDD method, not the formula. http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertil...-tim.html#roll look for the info on the dropping method.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:19 AM   #5
scalare altum
Algae Grower

You guys missed my point entirely. Ok on the flourish bottle does it say add one capfull per ten gallons, or add so many mL per whatever gallons? That i need to know what it is in mL, to how many gallons.

Do you understand?

-Joel
We always put animals in cages so that we can take pleasure in seeing them. Perhpas if we put them in places that they can take pleasure in living in, then we would find them more beautiful to look at when they showed themselves. -Takashi Amano
Old 09-11-2004, 12:28 AM   #6
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

You easily could have found this on the Seachem website...they say:
DIRECTIONS: Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 250 L (60 gallons*) once or twice a week. For smaller doses, please note that each cap thread is approximately 1 mL. Refrigeration after opening is recommended but not required.

When you said "Mostly because if I know I can determine my CSM+B formula." it suggests you want to use to "imitate" the fluorish solution. Impossible BTW with CSM+B alone.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:44 AM   #7
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Mix one tablespoon of Plantex CSM+B into 500 ml of water. Use a starting dose of 05-1.0 ml per 20 gallons of water. Adjust accordingly. Use more for high light CO2 injected tanks.

Note I'm not a fan of using Plantex to supply total iron needs in a tank. The copper level can get quite high while trying to do so. Iron chelate works much better and is very cheap.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2004, 01:54 AM   #8
scalare altum
Algae Grower

Well I bought it and I am hoping to get good results. I am going to dose tomorrow right after a water change with 3ml, i have a 66 gallon tank so that isn't over doing it. And I also dose 5 ml of KNO3 every second or third day.

-Joel
Old 09-11-2004, 02:14 PM   #9
TeeItUp
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
Iron chelate works much better and is very cheap.
Rex what is your dosing ratio scheme for iron chelate? Do you does dry?
Eheim Pimp Club member #14
2215 Classic
Eheim CO2 Diffuser
TeeItUp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2004, 02:35 AM   #10
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

The iron I make a solution 1 tablespoon in 500 ml of water. And I have yet to do the math to know exactly how much of my 14% iron chelate to dose so I have been dosing 1 ml every other day into my 55 gallon tank and have had no problems at all.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:41 AM   #11
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

I just bought shrimp yesterday and they died today. I've been dosing the CSM+B by the PMDD method, and long ago realized that there isn't enough iron in comparison to the other trace elements. I suppose it finally mattered and the copper built up killing the shrimp.

Rex, where can I get this 14% iron chelate? I know Greg sells a 10%er for $17/pound. Not necessarily cheap, and you said yours was cheap. I might be able to do the math too.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:32 AM   #12
glass-gardens.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

To expand on that, 5ml is one teaspoon roughly.

I suggest going to your local drug store and gettinga graduated dropper, alot easier to dose 1ml with some semblance of accuracy.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:11 PM   #13
scalare altum
Algae Grower

WOW!!! Thanks all for the great help and advice. I have 66 gallon tank with 2.5wpg of lighting and CO2 of around 10ppm. How much of trace elements should I dose per week using the required amount just given to me on this topic?

-Joel
Old 09-12-2004, 04:32 PM   #14
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

I got my iron chelate at www.litemanu.com and I guess they are now saying it's 13%. PM me your address and I will send you some. I have this very strange feeling that the pound I have is going to last a very very long time.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:53 PM   #15
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

PM sent.

I was afraid it was going to be another iron seqestrene. Do you happen to know which one it is? There are several like FeDTPA (seqestrene 330), FeEDDHA (seqestrene 180) etc. (JFYI, Greg Watson has told me his 10% chelate is FeDTPA seqestrene 330). These chelates though some quick reading seem to be a lot better then most, being more stable and all. Kevin you can step in now.

Scalare altum - I would dose as rex said: "Mix one tablespoon of Plantex CSM+B into 500 ml of water. Use a starting dose of 05-1.0 ml per 20 gallons of water."

Last edited by Rolo; 09-12-2004 at 08:51 PM..
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.