Pressurized CO2: regulator, needle valve
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 09-10-2004, 07:52 PM   #1
Inzeos
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Inzeos

Pressurized CO2: regulator, needle valve

Hello everyone,

I've recently spent some time researching pressurized CO2 systems and have so far picked up a 5lb CO2 tank from a local gas vendor. While I was out I also managed to find a home brewing supply warehouse, where I picked up a dual gauge regulator from IMI Cornelius, Inc. [ View Picture ]. From what I have gathered from the many different DIY and Pressured HOW-TO articles I need to find a needle valve that will match up to this regulator, which can then feed in to a CO2 reactor.

I'm hoping some of you might be able to assist me in figuring out what needle valve will work with this regulator. I'm not sure what the fitting type that is defaulty available on this regulator is called, but it looks like you normally would just slip on a hose...

Thanks,

Leif
Inzeos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2004, 09:35 PM   #2
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Hello Inzeos! Welcome to the board! We are all so glad you have joined us!

I think the needle valve most used by members of the board is the Clippard Needle Valve. If you do a search, you should find plenty on it.

I am hoping Rex will chime in. He will help you find one.

Mike
Old 09-10-2004, 11:23 PM   #3
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Ok you need to see if you can remove the valve from the regulator. That should not be a problem. Then you need to determine what size hole you are left with. As I recall it's 1/4" inch. If that's the case you will need a 1/4" to 1/8" inch adapter which you can find at the BORG.

Then head over to www.aquabotanic.com and order the needle valve. It's $18 and comes with the 10-32 to 1/8" adapter that is hard to find.

Use pipe joint compound on the threads of the adapters but not the needle valve.

If you can't get the fitting off of the regulator let me know. There is more than one way to skin a cat but I have used the same regulator in the past and had no problems.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 02:45 AM   #4
Inzeos
Algae Grower

Hi Rex,

I was able to remove that valve from the regulator, though I'm not sure how to measure the actual fiting now that it is out. From the edge of the thread one one side of the piece I removed to the edge of the thread on the other side, it measures 1/2", an educated guess would be 1/2" fitting, though I'm aware there are different methods of doing this measurement for different standards.

Thanks,

Leif
Old 09-11-2004, 02:29 PM   #5
glass-gardens.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Most of the regulators I've seen use 1/8"NPT fittings, although a few use 1/4"NPT fittings, just take the regulator to your local hardware store and they should be able to tell you what you need.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:21 PM   #6
ColinAnderson
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to ColinAnderson Send a message via AIM to ColinAnderson Send a message via MSN to ColinAnderson

My regulator came with the 1/8" fitting (or, to say the least, a not-so-common sized fitting) when I removed the barb (the part where a hose would normally go). Suffice it to say, the Clippard valve wouldn't fit. I made a trip to the local Home Depot, and after about 20 minutes of puzzling over the regulator and needle valve, the guys there found two metal adapters that changed the fitting so that it screwed into the regulator. Total cost: $2.00 or therebouts.
Eheim Pimp #50
--------------------------------------------------
110 liter heavily-planted
5lb Pressurized CO2
4.4 WPG PC 6700K
Eheim Classic 2215
--------------------------------------------------
ColinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 01:25 AM   #7
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

As stated take the regulator to the BORG and see what size fitting fits. It should be 1/4" which is most common with that regulator.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:07 AM   #8
Inzeos
Algae Grower

Pardom my ignorance, but what does the term BORG mean Rex?
Old 09-12-2004, 02:20 AM   #9
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

BORG is Home Despot, I mean Home Depot.

Big Orange Retail Giant.

Mike
Old 09-12-2004, 02:29 AM   #10
glass-gardens.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ROFLMAO !!!!

We have Lowe's in my town, but they have very few fittings in 1/8" NPT, most everything is in 1/4", luckily and for unknown reasons I guess, the local old fashioned hardware store is just the opposite, they have racks of 1/8" stuff and little 1/4".
Old 09-12-2004, 02:33 AM   #11
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

Might not be a bad idea to stop in a plumbing supply shop or a welding supply store. I am sure they will have exactly what you need as well.

Mike
Old 09-12-2004, 03:05 AM   #12
Inzeos
Algae Grower

hah! Never would have guessed BORG = Home Depot, we call it "Home Schlepo" around here. Good thing they built one only two miles away from my home!
Old 09-12-2004, 03:27 PM   #13
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

BORG used to mean Home Depot. But now it actually includes any big box home improvement store.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:12 PM   #14
Inzeos
Algae Grower

Not to be forgotten! I made some progress on my CO2 set up today. I recieved my needle valve yesterday, took forever and a day for it to get to me. Think there was a mixup at aquabotanic, where they didn't ship until I had called them asking where things were. They told me express mail and it would be on its way, though it went out UPS ground with required signature... So a few days of missing the UPS man and not being able to sign the back for him to leave it I had to track down the local UPS hub and pick it up at like 9pm at night.

I was able to find two pipe fittings to extend my needle valve 4 inches away from the regulator connection to give myself a bit more room to work with the connections. Everything is connected; however I have not turned on the CO2 or checked for leaks yet. Do people just put a bit of soapy water on the parts to check for leaks?

It is my understanding that the next step is to install a check valve and a bubble counter, using the CO2 whose to connect those to the needle valve?

After that I will need to take the out put of the bubble counter and feed that to my CO2 reactor, which I believe I'm going to go with an inline unit off of the return of my canister filter?

I'm leaning towards picking up an Eheim, my LFS has basically told me their willing to special order or stock what ever type of canister I'm interested in.... Just have to make up my mind. The filter will be using on my 29g... I know I have a larger tank being planned; however I think it will be an order of magnitued larger than the 29g so I will probably end up with not using the 29g filter on the newer tank.

Look forward to more great advice

Leif
Old 09-24-2004, 11:00 PM   #15
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

There is a process in opening your CO2 tank for the first time so that you don't blow out any connections. I don't have your regulator or check valve so can't help you there. The soapy water is a good idea. I do that often to check if our portable propane grill leaks when setup up time after time.

I went through some Eheim filter advice. If your looking for the classic the 2215 should be great for a 29 gallon, and give some growing room for your larger tank you have planned, if it's not too large. Otherwise there is the more expensive 2026 that will also work.