Christmas Moss, mini moss and dwarf sag
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 09-09-2004, 09:20 PM   #1
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak

Christmas Moss, mini moss and dwarf sag

When growing christmas moss on the back of your aquarium how do you like cut it so you can have it grow somewhere else? Like i'm getting a 3inch by 3inch pat of it, and this is for my 55 gallon tank! DIY CO2, will get 110watts CF very soon. Does this stuff grow fast also like java moss kind of does? Ok now the mini moss, whats up with this stuff? Will 2wpg on a 55 be enough to grow it at the bottom of the tank? any info on this moss? And the dwarf sag, it grows fast I think right? Think it would look good as a complete carpet in the 55? I got flourite as my subtrate, thanks
pufferfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2004, 09:47 PM   #2
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

Depends on how dense the christmas moss (or any moss for that matter) is coming in at. If it is, then you can always thin it out by slowly unraveling it. You're gonna have to do this anyway if you're gonna make a mosswall out of it since you have to weave it into the piece that's gonna be used as the wall.

As for the rate of growth, I'm not quite sure. I've only kept java and nano moss before, which are decent growers.

Is the mini moss the same as erect moss? The nano moss that I'm referring to above was from something that Gomes sent me awhile back. In general, that should be adequate light to grow moss, since they don't require that much lighting (they still benefit from higher lighting and a balanced tank).

Dwarf sag would make a decent carpet plant if you were able to get it going. You have to make sure that you prune it out every once in awhile since it tends to shade itself as it grows in (it's a quick grower compared to the other plants used for carpets). It tends to look more like an unmowed lawn versus a carpet as it spreads out (i.e. I prefer either using hairgrass or glosso as a carpet instead).

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2004, 09:57 PM   #3
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

the mini moss is the same as the nano moss I believe. I am going for the uncut lawn look since I will have dwarf hairgrass in my 12. Hope this will look nice. Thanks I still want to know about that x-mas moss though
Old 09-09-2004, 10:01 PM   #4
Urkevitz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I had Xmas moss and I wasn't impressed. It grew very slowly for me and ended up looking like javamoss anyways. I am growing some taiwan moss now and it also looks like java moss.
Urkevitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2004, 10:32 PM   #5
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

hmm...well I'm thinking of just putting the x-mas moss on my huge peice of wood thats in my 55 and leaving the wisteria there, maybe when the wood gets alot of x-mas moss on it that I can use some clippings off that and put it onto the wall. Still it will look cool. It will be like a real x-mas tree! haha
Old 09-09-2004, 11:13 PM   #6
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (163/100%)

I build a moss wall in my 10 gal by combining two plastic sheets with holes (available in the arts/crafts sections) and placing little pieces of Christmas moss in between, trying for equal distribution.

It doesn't grow as fast as Ambulias, but after a few weeks the plastic is totally invisible. It looks like Javamoss -- same green color -- but instead of single strands that grow into the foreground of the tank and need to be cut back weekly, it grows much more compact without taking up too much space.

I am glad I did the switch between the mosses... even though it was a little difficult to rip out the established Javamoss wall and look at a piece of plastic screen for a couple of weeks.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2004, 11:18 PM   #7
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

Hopefully this will grow good on my wood!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.