$2 Fluval Edge DIY Mylar Balloon Reflector - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 11-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #16
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I remember reading just recently that unless a reflector's surface is completely smooth, it doesn't make much of a reflector at all.. the wrinkles/creases throw the light off. I was going to put aluminum foil in my hood until I read that. You'd get extremely similar results from just using a flat white spraypaint.
You can do experiments to see if this is true. I did, and found that aluminum foil, even wrinkled, as it usually is, is a great reflector, better than white paint, but not a great deal better. Aluminized mylar was a poor third in my tests. It is hard to understand, perhaps, but excellent reflectivity does not mean a good mirror surface. Excellent reflectivity means 95% of the light hitting the reflector is reflected. A mirror surface means there is very little distortion when using the mirror, but it may reflect only 50% of the light hitting it. Ordinary glass mirrors have poor reflectivity, since there is no reason for them to have good reflectivity. Mylar balloon material also has a good mirror effect, but not generally good reflectivity. Aluminized mylar that has good reflectivity will also have a thick coat of aluminum, otherwise some of the light goes right through the mylar and aluminum. That means it is expensive.
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2011, 12:46 AM   #17
AccidentProne001
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I just bought a cheapo T8 from Home Depot. I liked the idea of the "diamond" fixture and it looks more shiny. Another fixture had a gull wing type of metal reflector, which looked better, but the bulbs were far from the reflector.
The brightest light seemed to come from the $ 18 white skimpy reflector that has the bulbs up close.

I think I'll get another one - 128W of T8 on a 2' tall tank should be able to reach the bottom with a decent amt. of light.

I tried it with some foil and with mylar, but the white seems just about as good
AccidentProne001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #18
AccidentProne001
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've been checking out the reflector a bit more closely.

I put a piece of foil doubled over, as an edge between the two bulbs, and circling under the bulbs.

After tweaking the foil a bit this way and that...

I looked at the reflector with sunglasses on, and squinted eyes to reduce the brightness

The bulbs themselves actually look LESS bright than the foil areas
AccidentProne001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluval, fluval edge, hagen, mylar, reflector