Yet another lighting question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 09-09-2004, 02:09 PM   #1
Photovore

PTrader: (0/0%)

Yet another lighting question

Hope someone can help me with this. I ran a search and didn't come up with a specific answer to my question. I used to have a reef tank set up. I broke it down when I moved. Now, the planted tank look has really grabbed me. Hoping to do this without spending scads of money, I want to recycle some of my old equipment. The tank is a 90. I have a CSL 4X96 PC hood. If I change the lamps to 8800K, can I use this fixture? That's over 4 watts per gallon. I will be running CO2. Will this be way too much light? Is there such a thing as too much light? I can turn on 2 lamps instead of all 4. Thanks in advance for any help offered

Mike
Photovore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2004, 02:42 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (173/100%)

Welcome to the Planted Tank!

I'd say yes, yes, yes and yes!

I would definitely start with just two of the beasts, and if the tank runs algae free for a few weeks, and you got fertilizer dosing down to a routine, and there are lots and lots of plants, you can slowly increase the light, starting with a few hours per day of the full blast.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 03:09 PM   #3
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

You have the lighting!

I would also run just two of the lamps for a few weeks, or months, until you really get the hang of the planted aquarium and until your aquarium has reached its balance. Best thing to do is take it slowly!

Mike
Old 09-09-2004, 03:17 PM   #4
Photovore

Thanks Guys! I appreciate the input. Will do... 2 lamps only for quite a while. Wanna do this right and not start an algae farm!

Mike
Photovore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 04:00 PM   #5
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

Haha, another reefkeeper migrating over to this side of things. I actually have a similar lighting setup (Hamilton 4x96), which used to be used over my 40-gallon reef setup, but is collecting dust right now.

You can indeed just run two of them for now and just ramp it up (sort of like finding a position for a piece of coral, but instead of moving the coral around, you're messing with the lighting instead). As the tank becomes established and fills in with the plants, start turning on those other two (you can also run 6700 mixed with the 8800 and just alternate each bulb).

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 01:46 PM   #6
ktlau858

Everybody is talking about the rule-of-thumb of 3~4 watt per gallon....are there any formula which is/are more precise (than this rule of thumb) which I can use to calculate the lighting requirement? I would expect to see at least the depth of the tank, the lumen output from the lamp...etc. to be included in the formula...
ktlau858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 04:10 PM   #7
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

Not really a rule of thumb to have 3-4 wpg, just that with that type of lighting, you will be able to keep a pretty wide variety of plants. As you said, it would depend on a variety of factors, including depth, depth of substrate, plants being planted in question (hard to measure since the adaptibility of plants isn't quantifiable).

Here's a nifty regression that was based on 161 of Amano's tanks and the resulting calculator that came out of it:

http://www.fitchfamily.com/lighting.html

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote