For those of you using shop lights - great mirror reflectors cheap
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 01-20-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

For those of you using shop lights - great mirror reflectors cheap

Hi All,

I thought I'd share with you my source of mirrorized aluminum "W" bent reflectors for shop lights (any length, 2 bulb fixtures). This guy makes them in his metal shop, sells them to local businesses, but also will do small orders and his shipping is very reasonable.

They are designed for 2 bulb T8 shop lights, but could possibly be used with other size bulbs. He also will definitely do custom ones, but they might be more, then.

He is Amish or Mennonite and honest and a nice guy. I've used his reflectors for years now and they are terrific. I just bought 8 more and they were $8 each for 4 foot fixtures. I've also had him cut them down for me to custom lengths for smaller fixtures. You can do longer fixtures, too, by using different lengths of reflector.

Just thought I'd share, because I looked high and low for a source, and was lucky to find one local to me. I'd love for him to get a bit more business from the hobby.

Below is a picture of one I had him make for me in a shorter length. I cut down a 4 foot shop light to make a canopy for a 20 gallon (it was cheaper to cut down a $10 4 foot shop light than buy an overpriced shorter fixture, go figure - plus, then I used the ballast to 2ODNO the bulbs).

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 10-08-2010 at 07:23 PM..
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

I'm gonna go ahead and guess he isn't Amish...
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

Well, I live among the Amish. There are many Amish businesses that have websites and use telephone numbers and fax numbers. Amish businesses can use a surprising array of technology. They use cash registers, computers, calculators. They use power tools and ride in cars. They use the drive-throughs at the banks. But they don't like being asked invasive, personal questions, such as "are you Amish, or Mennonite." I also live among the latter. There are also splinter Amish groups, sects of Amish that have broken off from the "old-order" style rules and have more lenient rules, who also call themselves Amish.

It's easy to tell Amish from Mennonite females, due to the dress code. But young Amish men, particularly while in their "deciding" or Rumspringa years, may look a number of ways. When I was at the shop, the only workers I saw were young men in this age.

(BTW, I get no kickback or anything. He doesn't know I've plugged him; I just wanted to share because he's an honest guy and has treated me well over the years.)

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 01-20-2010 at 08:32 PM..
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Thank you for this information! That reflector looks terrific, and if it costs less than $10 it has to be a huge bargain. What the shop workers/owners religion is doesn't interest me, but what they do certainly does. I will bookmark their website so if I ever make a light needing a good reflector I can use them.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
DavidZ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Nice and great info!
DavidZ is offline   Reply With Quote