Started low tech but now hi-tech 55 gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-17-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
hungtran10
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Started low tech but now hi-tech 55 gallon

Hello folks.

It's been awhile since I updated my 55 gallon tank journal. As the title suggestions, I originally started my tank journal in the Low Tech Forum Section. However since I now employ a pressurized co2 system, I decided to move this journal here. If you want to catch up on the pics and details you can go back to this original thread.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lo...ew-update.html

Basically at the end of that thread, I was disappointed by the slow growth of my plants. I expected slow growth due to the low tech method, but after having been patient for over 1 year, I thought enough was enough.

I finally decided to invest in a pressurized co2 system. I got a Sumo regulator, a used 10 gallon co2 tank from a local welding supply store and a generic diffuser off ebay from a seller in china. After it arrived, I thought, now I'm set! Nirvana baby!

I hooked it all up and expected a miracle to occur in my tank. Uh...not quite. The 1st thing that happened was an algae bloom. Hahahahaha!
Behold the dreaded green water algae!

I also got a nice thick mat of hair algae on the front bottom of the tank. The hair algae was so thick it was smothering the sagitaria subulata and preventing it from spreading across the front. Anyways, I did some research on combating the green water.

I first did the 5 day complete black out. I took black garbage bags and taped the whole tank up. 5 days later, the green water was still there.

I tried 75% water changes twice a week, reduced my photoperiod, and tinkered with my ferts. It would just dilute the green water and after 1 week it would come back full force.

I went back and reread the chapter in Ecology of the Planted Aquarium by Diana Walstad about green water algae. I tried putting in fresh activated charcoal into my HOB filter to remove the dissolved organic compounds that supposedly must be feeding the algae. The algae laughed at me. I tried planting fast growing stem plants to out compete the algae. Nope, still there.

I tried just giving it time. I thought that the ecosystem in my tank just needed time to balance out. *twiddles thumbs* Nope still there!

I had enough. I read that UV sterilizers would help combat the green water algae so I decided to find the cheapest one I could get. Lo and behold Petsmart has this cheapo UV sterilizer that fits inside of your tank for about $60.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2750628

Now most UV sterilizers are designed to be fitted inline with your under the tank canister type filters. Since I use a Marineland Magnum hang on the back filter, this was not an option. When I first designed this tank, I wanted to keep the plumbing to a minimum to not have to worry about leaks. By keeping my equipment either hanging off the bank or actually inside the tank, I could keep things simple and hopefully avoid a leak/spill. Anyways I ordered the device with a bit of pessimism. This green water algae was a powerful and tenacious adversary . It had overcome everything I had thrown at it and was not budging. @#$%@%$%@#$!!!! Was this $60 UV sterilizer from Petsmart going to fix my problem?????

Waaaah-Lah! One week later my tank looked like this! Holly smokes! It actually worked! You can see the UV sterilizer on the far right side of the tank. After about 2 weeks my water was sparkling crystal clear. Simply amazing! I have not had any trace of green water since then. I still have the thick mat of hair algae but I have some plans to tackle that later.

Here are some recent full tank shots.

12/24/2009

1/11/2010 - Did a minor trim. I cleared up alot of the water lettuce and red lotus leaves at the surface so more light could get down.

Here are some new shots of the current inhabitants.

1) Veil tailed Angel.

2) Featherfin Rainbowfish

3) Pink Danio. I got a school of 5. They usually zip back and forth right under the surface of the water.

4) School of little Tiger Barbs. They are so cute. Very playful and they like to school with the Rummy Nosed Tetras and Red lined Torpedo Barbs. They are pretty fiesty little guys. I sometimes see them fin nipping the much large Angelfish.

5) My other Angelfish.

So there you have it. My tank is still going. I finally feel that I have reached a level of stability with the tank and that things are growing. However now when I look at the tank, I am not satisfied with the scape. (Are we ever?!!) Especially when I see pics all of your guys' awesome tanks. LOL. I am currently planning to rescape the tank soon and am crusing the swap and shop for sales. In particular I am looking to get my hands on some Sunset Hygro. I have had it before in my tank before adding pressurized co2. It eventually melted away. I want to get it back so if any of you guys have some trimmings you want to sell me, please by all means send me a PM.

best regards,

- Hung

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...ut-now-hi.html

My photography collection:

http://hungtran.zenfolio.com/
hungtran10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
Heatherdersh
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

So pretty! Glad you got the green water under control. I just added DIY co2 to my tank a week ago. I'm hoping I don't get any algae blooms because of it. I'm still fighting some pre-co2 BBA, but it's turning red now and dying off finally.

You have my favorite fish too! I love harlequin rasboras. I can't wait to upgrade my tank and expand my school
Old 01-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
VadimShevchuk
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk

I read your other thread and the photography is very good. I would add a black background to it and remove the barbs. The barbs will destroy your betta and angels fins. Very nice tank and i can't wait untill the tank matures more.
VadimShevchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
leaf
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Slick job at turning this tank around, the first pic almost looks hopeless! I even like the mat of hair algae, from the pics it looks like a rolling green carpet. My shrimp would love to play on that!

Water looks crystal.
leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Are the pink danios different than glofish?
Old 01-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
i love planted tanks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

man that is a gorgeous tank and the pics are so clear
i love planted tanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
TankArm

PTrader: (0/0%)

Han,

Great threads. What low light/low tech plants have you had success with that will do a good job of hiding tank equipment?

THanks!
TankArm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #8
JennaH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

wow- this tank is gorgeous, everything looks very healthy! what an amazing job by the UV sterilizer..
btw you have some great fish pics. i especially love the one of the rummies and barbs schooling together!
JennaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:08 PM   #9
fastfreddie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Still a gorgeous tank and more stunning photography! Very nice!
Old 01-18-2010, 04:28 AM   #10
hungtran10
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSM View Post
Are the pink danios different than glofish?
Not sure what glofish look like but these definitely look like danios. I was tempted to speculate that they were albino danios but they are quite pink.

- Hung

Old 01-18-2010, 04:34 AM   #11
hungtran10
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankArm View Post
Han,

Great threads. What low light/low tech plants have you had success with that will do a good job of hiding tank equipment?

THanks!
As far as plants that have done the best before I added pressurized co2:

1) Water Onion - They look like thick vals. Very durable and grows easily.

2) Ludwigia, Broad Leaf (Ludwigia repens) - Great plant with a red underside to the leaves. During the time that I had my big plant melt down, I had this little tiny branch of it left. I was considering just tossing it out but I trimmed and replanted it. It grew back with a vengence.

3) Anubias Nana - They have filled out the middle of my tank. Slow growing but makes for good medium level plants. Unfortunately they have completely overgrown my driftwood (they like to attach to wood and rocks). So for my next rescape, I will be trimming it back significantly.

best regards,

- Hung

Old 01-18-2010, 07:07 PM   #12
TankArm

Han,

Thanks for your response, I'll try the Ludwigia and Onion Plant, I have some Anubias already, they don't give me the height I desire.
TankArm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:13 AM   #13
seds
Planted Tank Obsessed

You anubias and val look loverly.

I second the Crinum thaianum. It is exquisite. It grows nice bright green. The way the leaves fan out from the bulb is pretty.

Remember not to bury the bulb!