cichlid tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #1
floridagrower
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

cichlid tank

Well i added 4 cichlids to my tank yesterday. They are my first fish. Im not sure what kind they are, but my hunch is african. I already had a plant in the tank but i noticed today that there are lots of little tiny holes developing on the leaves of the plant. Not sure what this is from. The pet store ive been going to doesnt have a clue so i really dont know the classification of anything in my tank. The good news is that the fish get along great and are already feeding and like the plants. The taller plant is the one with the promblem. Someone suggested snails but i dont think that is the problem. possibly the additives i added in for the cichilds.

Ph. above 7.6
water temp- ~78 f.

You can see some of the holes in the leaves here. Im open to any advice. Thanks!
floridagrower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
Shipmonkey
Algae Grower

The holes appearing in the leaves in the lower picture are known as "drowning houseplant" disease.
Shipmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 11:58 PM   #3
neumahrs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Yep those are african cichlids. I think they're Orange Zebras, Metriaclima estherae. They found in Lake Malawi. They do best in hard high PH water (PH 8ish). They will get quite aggressive. Also they will eventually start destroying your plants.
neumahrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 12:35 AM   #4
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipmonkey View Post
The holes appearing in the leaves in the lower picture are known as "drowning houseplant" disease.
Yup, none of those plants are aquatic.

And looks to me like you've got some juvie Yellow Labs.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/l_caeruleus.php

For future reference, you'll save time, $$ and heartache researching before you buy.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 12:42 AM   #5
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

African cichlids and plants just rarely works. I have SA cichlids(mids, convict, firemouth) and do ok... Also, the requirements of housing African cichlids is a bit more complicated. Malawi cichlids need groups, will easily hybridize, etc. They will eventually destroy your plants.
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 12:43 AM   #6
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

lolz, i have africans in my tank, but tanganiyka is less plant aggressive i think...
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 12:53 AM   #7
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22 View Post
lolz, i have africans in my tank, but tanganiyka is less plant aggressive i think...
Very much so. Malawi cichlids are notorious for destroying plants.
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 02:05 AM   #8
floridagrower
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipmonkey View Post

I bought these from the petstore where they had at least two dozen of these doing well. i'm sure these are aquatic plants but have no idea what is wrong with them
Old 01-13-2010, 02:08 AM   #9
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagrower View Post
I bought these from the petstore where they had at least two dozen of these doing well. i'm sure these are aquatic plants but have no idea what is wrong with them
They're not aquatic is what's wrong with them. There's many terrestrial plants that can linger on for months before they finally croak.

The first one is commonly called "purple hedge." It would make a lovely hanging basket.

I've no idea what the other one is.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 02:18 AM   #10
leo1234
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

hi there the plant in the second pic is a purple waffle and it is not a aquatic
plant i had them before and they will melt and slowly die off
leo1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 03:11 AM   #11
floridagrower
Algae Grower

ok guys i guess its not aquatic idk how the pet store keeps them though
Old 01-13-2010, 03:18 AM   #12
snoz0r
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to snoz0r

Quote:
Because they actually grow them emmersed, or completely out of water (the plant/fish farms). It's nearly a scam, which frankly I sometimes can't believe isn't charged as false advertising.

Most pet stores don't even know this, my lfs in nj had no idea.. and didn't believe me until i showed the owner multiple websites.
click above for my tank journal - Eheim Pimp Club #357 - SunSun Pimp #3
snoz0r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 03:33 AM   #13
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I keep a long list of aquatic plants on my Ipod and my Iphone that I access if I have any questions about whether a plant is true aquatic or not. I find way to many are not aquatic
Noahma is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 03:46 AM   #14
Frogmanx82
Planted Member

Quote:
They don't keep them, they sell them to uneducated consumers.

I don't know what's worse, selling land plants as aquatics, selling african cichlids without explaining what they are, or buying all this stuff without the first bit of research as to what you want to put in your tank.

Don't feel bad, its a lesson we all learned the hard way. It is a rare LFS that will give you the straight scoop. You have just learned that the place you bought this stuff from is not to be trusted. You should also learn that the LFS is a place to buy, not a place to shop.

You go in with a list of things you've researched. If you see something cool that's not on the list, you write down what it is, go on an internet forum and check it out. Sites that sell fish or plants can't be trusted either. When in doubt, wetwebmedia.com is probably the most trusted source for giviing good advice on the web.

Good luck, africans are very cool, I have a tank full of them, but no plants in it. You need to decide which you like better.

55 gallon 2 wpg planted dosing excel with guppies, and shrimp
90 gallon mixed reef with clowns, gobies, and cardinals
150 gallon african cichlid tank with clown loaches
Frogmanx82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 03:56 AM   #15
floridagrower
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmanx82 View Post
They don't keep them, they sell them to uneducated consumers.

I don't know what's worse, selling land plants as aquatics, selling african cichlids without explaining what they are, or buying all this stuff without the first bit of research as to what you want to put in your tank.

Don't feel bad, its a lesson we all learned the hard way. It is a rare LFS that will give you the straight scoop. You have just learned that the place you bought this stuff from is not to be trusted. You should also learn that the LFS is a place to buy, not a place to shop.

You go in with a list of things you've researched. If you see something cool that's not on the list, you write down what it is, go on an internet forum and check it out. Sites that sell fish or plants can't be trusted either. When in doubt, is probably the most trusted source for giviing good advice on the web.

Good luck, africans are very cool, I have a tank full of them, but no plants in it. You need to decide which you like better.
thanks for the info. i needed to hear it straight. i might start looking for a larger tank on craigslist for my chichilds (i know they will outgrow the 10gal) and keep the 10gal for plants. I cant believe this store. they really have no clue. its my fault though for falling for their nonsense

Tags
cichlid, disease, p.h., plant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.