The Planted Tank Forum banner

PVC temporary fix..hot glue?

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  HD Blazingwolf 
#1 ·
I just build my first PVC system, and I guess I didn't seat one of my joints tight enough so it has a small leak. I won't be able to get any more PVC till tomorrow so for a temporary fix I sanded the joint, dabbed a bit of PCV cement, wiped off the excess, then used hot glued around the whole joint. Anyone ever try this?

As for a real fix, I guess I have to cut off above the joint and redo everything?

#4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies.

OK thanks, guess I'll pick up extra stuff too just in case.

Is it inside your tank or OUTSIDE?

If it sits INSIDE, it has to be NON-toxic & has to say it on the packaging.

If it's PVC for your filtration system & it's located outside, then it doesn't matter.

You could also use teflon tape instead.
Yup its for my filtration and its on the outside. Anything inside the tank I didn't even bother to glue.

#3 ·
The answer would totally depend on where the PVC is located....

If it's PVC for your filtration system & it's located outside, then it doesn't matter.

#5 ·

This doesn't make sense. If it's contact with the water, it wouldn't make any difference if the toxic chemical is in contact with the water while it's in the tank or about to be in the tank.

Maybe I don't understand what you meant, but it's a bit misleading.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.