The Planted Tank Forum banner

First tank ever! Fluval Edge 6 gallon

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  SaltyNC 
#1 ·
This is my first planted tank and I joined this forum hoping for a little help. I've had aquariums for a while and finally decided to branch into the planted side. I thought I would start simply with a Fluval Edge 6 gallon. I set it up on my desk at my work. Luckily I work at a laboratory so I have access to all the RO water I need and I can do a complete water analysis myself if need be. For livestock I have: 4 raspora, 2 otos, 4 ghost shimp, and 1 snail. I figured I would let them acclimate to the tank before I add many more fish. I am currently using the stock lights and filter system. I usually keep the lights on for as long as I'm at work 8-10 hrs/day. I also added a waterplant C02 diffusion system. It is currently going at about 1 bubble/sec. My pH has been trending between 7.4-7.6. For plants all I have right now is dwarf hairgrass. My questions are these: What can I do to optimize my tank?, What do I need to study/research?, Is there anything I'm doing wrong/how can I change it?

I'm willing to learn and willing to work.
Thanks!

#3 ·
This is my first planted tank and I joined this forum hoping for a little help. I've had aquariums for a while and finally decided to branch into the planted side. I thought I would start simply with a Fluval Edge 6 gallon. I set it up on my desk at my work. Luckily I work at a laboratory so I have access to all the RO water I need and I can do a complete water analysis myself if need be. For livestock I have: 4 raspora, 2 otos, 4 ghost shimp, and 1 snail. I figured I would let them acclimate to the tank before I add many more fish. I am currently using the stock lights and filter system. I usually keep the lights on for as long as I'm at work 8-10 hrs/day. I also added a waterplant C02 diffusion system. It is currently going at about 1 bubble/sec. My pH has been trending between 7.4-7.6. For plants all I have right now is dwarf hairgrass. My questions are these: What can I do to optimize my tank?, What do I need to study/research?, Is there anything I'm doing wrong/how can I change it?

I'm willing to learn and willing to work.
Thanks!
As you probably know already, the fluval edge lighting is very low. Only low light plants will thrive. I have anubias and moss in mine. I don't think you can add anymore fish. You are pretty much maxed with what you have right now.

#5 ·
I'd separate each of those clumps of DHG into about 15 smaller clumps. You can probably get at around 5 smaller clumps from each one of your current ones. Like someone else said, the lighting is pretty low on those tanks, so it is going to feel like foreverrrrr until you see some growth with the DHG. Also, you can trim the DHG so it's about .5" tall, that will help encourage new runners and growth.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.