The Planted Tank Forum banner

How do you browse this forum?

• I click "New Posts" to get the latest&greatest, or "Search" for specific things

Votes: 47 54.0%
  • I read forum by forum, first one then the next.

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • I do both about equally.

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • I am only interested in a very specific area, so I always just pick the applicable forum.

Votes: 25 28.7%

How do you read this forum?

2K views 28 replies 24 participants last post by  oscarsx 
#1 ·
One of the many things I have been wondering is how the various forums, sub-forums, and sub-sub-forums affect the way you look at posts.

Obviously, different people have different approaches, not everyone tries to read every new post (that would be a full time job), and some folks just have very focused area of interest that happens to be covered by one sub-sub. And further, sometimes we just search for something specific.

But for those who consider themselves forum regulars with a broad interest in all things planted, how do you read the board? Do you click "New Posts" and skim/read them in chronological order? Or do start with some forum, say General Planted Tank Discussion, then go to Equipment, etc?

Likewise, if you browse this place for something to spend your loads of money on, do you go specifically to the Swap and Shop section, or one of its sub-forums, or do you use the Search functionality?

#2 ·
I didn't discover the 'new post' button until a month ago. Since then, I use it every day. I always stay logged in here, and when I am at my computer I will click 'new post' every hour or so. I generally just scan the list real fast, and open anything that looks interesting in another tab.

I do still go to certain individual forums though, like the general discussion, fish, or anyone that I recently posted in. I do this in case I miss something in the list of new posts.

As far as shopping, I generally browse the first page of the swapnshop occassionally. And I look at the new post ones to see if I see any great deals. If I wanted a specific thing, like shrimp, fish, or wood, I already know who sells that so I would generally track down the individual.

#6 ·
I don't use 'new posts" or 'subscribe' but I do use the search nonstop.

I rarely read the forum unless I'm researching or buying something. so I don't really care about new posts unless there in the sns but I always use the search feature in there as well.

What I normally do is do a search for whatever I want to read about and open each thread I want to read in a new tab then go back to the search screen so I'm ready to start another search on the things I read about, this also give all the pics time to load. I also always keep google image and regular google open to look things up that I read about here. I also open any links in threads I'm reading in new tabs...

I usually end up with a complex web of TPT tabs open. I Normally end up with 10-15 threads open at once cross referencing and snoopin on ppl.

LOL

#7 ·
I start with the General and Tank Journals, then check the Fish, Plants, Lounge and SnS. I tend to stay out of the Equipment forums because I'm not much help there and there are many people on this forum more knowledgeable than me about how to wire a light fixture.

I rarely use the New Posts function because it's easier for me to go through the subforums and find the new replies that way.

#14 ·
The first option is the closest so I picked that, though I'm really more like farmhand-

I start off at my User CP too, as I usually have PMs and stuff to deal with and those take first priority.

Then check in with my subscribed threads,

Then New Posts to see what's currently happening,

and then there are certain forums that I do spend more time in than others, so I'll check over any new threads/posts since last time.

Then New Posts is the primary way I navigate the forum.

#16 ·
I use "new posts" frequently. I like the fact most, (if not all) of the aquarists here are open minded and understand that because different things work for different people; its not worthwhile to shoot down another member in flames because something has/is working for them.

I like the community/activity of this forum. It's good to see forums still alive in the days of social networking.

#17 ·
I only check the Equipment, Aquascaping and every once and a while the Fish area. Oh, and of course the Lounge and the S&S. Can't let those good deals go unnoticed :)

#18 ·
I use "todays posts" under quick links. I browse for something interesting in hopes of catching someone on to talk to about whatever subject happends to spark my interest. I sometimes hit it 50 times a day if alot of people are on. This way I see the treads that are hitting and I also look for users or titles that are my favorites. No subscriptions, no subforums. "My posts", "Todays posts", and the SnS if im looking for something. So I didnt vote because I wasnt category I fit into.

#19 ·
Thanks everyone for voting! Somewhat expected, but wanted to see it confirmed.

Chad - isn't Today's Posts and New Posts very similar? I guess if you don't read all of them in one session, Today's Posts allows you to go back to where you left off, while New Posts would start over from your last visit.

#24 ·
First, I look at the front page for the few newest posts and see if anything grabs my attention, or is an urgent request for help that hasn't yet been answered.

Then I search for threads I've posted to within the last two weeks. Most threads are active for less than that, so by posting in a thread (even if it's just a congratulatory comment) this works as kind of a short-term, automatically expiring subscription. I use actual subscriptions very rarely.

Last, if I have time, I'll look at the first page of threads in a few particular forums.

Not sure how to vote on this one. :)

#26 ·
New Posts, every time! Only because I am never sure what exactly I want to read. Also what ever I happen to be interested in at that moment will only have maybe 1 or 2 updates, so I wind up hitting the New Posts button. I learned a lot more using New Posts because I'll dabble in a little bit of everything. Kind of like broadening my horizons I guess. I do have about 80 Subscribed threads yet only maybe 10 are consistent, one especially lol. Heres a clue .... Joan Jett lol.

Oh I also hope sometimes that I would see my journal in the New Posts area but it never happens lmao.

Hector

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.