The Planted Tank Forum banner

Waiahole Stream or any other streams?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  gotcheaprice 
#1 ·
Alright, so looking to go explore some streams here, looking for stuff not too far from Honolulu. I wanna check out waiahole cause I saw that they have the oape kalaole there, so does anyone know how to get there? I've been researching that for a while and i think you go down waiahole valley rd and then it merges into a bridge to the river? Are there lots of waterfallish areas where the opae would hang out?

Also, any other suggestions on streams to catch some stuff? Just some small random stuff that'd be cool to keep. I bought the book "hawaii's native and exotic freshwater animals" and saw some pretty interesting stuff.

Thanks! I wanna try and see if I can get some to breed(have them in a tank, then move the larvae to a brackish tank with opae ula i'm gonna set up). Any idea on what they would feed on?

#2 ·
Honolulu streams

I used to hike way back into the Aiea Heights falls behind the gardens. There used to be shrimp and some small fish in the ponds with the falls in the back. But that was many years ago. Be careful with the kamaaina's there though, cause you may come upon someones "field" and get some angry people after you.

:fish:

#4 ·
I used to hike way back into the Aiea Heights falls behind the gardens. There used to be shrimp and some small fish in the ponds with the falls in the back. But that was many years ago. Be careful with the kamaaina's there though, cause you may come upon someones "field" and get some angry people after you.

:fish:
Thats true, don't wander too far off the trails. hahaha. I grew up in Aiea, we would always get warned about that.

#6 ·
Opae kalaole will be a little hard to find this time of the year. I notice that if you wait for the spring/summer, you'll find them mixed in with feeder shrimp in your LFS. I guess they thats when the smaller shrimp come back from the ocean and make their way back to the freshwater streams.

#7 ·
Alright, thanks for the heads up! I'm gonna buy like $10 worth, $1 at a time and diff pet stores and home I get some. Then to go and throw them outside and see who crawls. The sad thing is that I'm positive that I got some before cause I saw them crawl, thought they were ghost shrimp -_- So I just fed them to the cichlids D: I'm so sad...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.