The Planted Tank Forum banner

Floating Moss Island

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  greenman857 
#1 ·
I discovered this moss, which I call floating moss as it floats. The moss grows down into the water and back up with air bubbles trapped in the stems.
Yellow Green Amber Non-vascular land plant Dill

1st picture taken 12/17/2012, but this island has been growing in my Claytower tank for weeks. I think since I set it up but I didn't notice it as first.
Yellow Non-vascular land plant Subshrub Forb Mimosa

a little piece of U graminifolia growing on the right side.
Aquatic plant Pond Terrestrial plant Sunlight Grass family

Liquid Aquatic plant Terrestrial plant Non-vascular land plant Aquarium decor

Today, the moss does seem to be starting to sink but that may be the U graminifolia pulling it down. The U gramnifolia can be seen growing down into the water. I did add a tiny piece of compost to the island to try and feed it.

See less See more
#4 ·
No its definately a moss. I found it growing on the side of a highway in a spring so it stays green year round. It grows out and into the water but floats up. The island is now sinking in fact its on its side but I think the UG is the culprit, its pulling it down. I'll post another pic of the island and one of the moss growing in one of my tubs in my basement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.