The Planted Tank Forum banner

green water

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Crystalview 
#1 · (Edited)
My 65g tall tank has had slight green water. I did not paint the back of the tank and it has a white wall behind it. I cover 3/4 of the tank with a car sun screen because the sun shines on the tank for about an an hour. The room is very bright (well not today its raining). The filter gets a lot of green black algae too. I change half the water once a week. This tank is sitting in the same place as my old 45g. It has been running great phrams. I use a 18w inline filter. I just replaced the bulb in May. I hate what I did yesterday. I tried to use an increase of the excel. Well 7 hours later I lost my breeding pair of Discus and my Sids. Other fish are fine. Any idea's on how to get rid of this green water. Had my old tank for 4years and I am doing the exact same as I did before. EI ferts and excel.

#2 ·
Others will chime in with more advice soon, but for starters I'd change the water more frequently; say 30% weekly. I would also advise reducing the time you have your bulbs running since you already seem to receive lots of natural light. Also, you might want to try Purigen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#3 ·
I oops'd I do change the water 50% once a week. I rinse out the filter once a month. I remember reading that puregen increases a nutrient in the tank water What does it change. I would really like to to use another short term chemical to get rid of the slight green water. Can I add another fert instead.

#4 ·
I've been using Purigen for years. It's an inert resin that simply catches micro particulates. To my knowledge, I've never heard of Purigen affecting nutrients in the water column.

The light may be a factor, as well as a lack of CO2. What are you water parameters (nitrate, nitrite, pH, ammonia, etc)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#5 ·
Ph 7 Nitrates 0 Nitrites 0 temp 82
ammonia 0 Hardness 125

#8 ·
I have floating plants that cover half of the tank. The frogs and move it around the top of the tank. The bulb is now over a year old so its output is not the same.
Can anybody tell me what I am missing in the water. What else could I test for?
I think I will try water changes twice a week instead of once. I want to increase the bio load but have not decided on what fish. Maybe some Dwarf cichlids. Also thought of more frogs.
Could the EI nutrients be adjusted some how? Frustrating! Not new at this!

#10 ·
Since I run the UV 24 hours a day, I thought it would keep the green water away. Would not want to know what the GW would be without it.
I only run my light for eight hours. Which seems like a short light time. The 45g this tank replaced did not have problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.