The Planted Tank Forum banner

some fish and Red Chery shrimps

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  mrk442 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I am looking for help from experienced shrimps keepers!
Here is the problem:

In the "shrimp" tank I also keep
1. Three Otocinclus Cats. I am going to add 20 more
2. Ancistrus (Bushynose Pleco) - about 7-8 cm
3. Small Plecostomus - about 3 cm - here is the picture

I am afraid that some of these fish will eat my shrimps or their babies.

Please let me know if any of you had any experience with keeping these fish with Red Cherry shrimps.

Thanks a lot!

See less See more
#4 ·
I made the mistake of buying 8 cherry reds. At 5$ a pop, that was a major mistake! I'm not sure who did the munching, but after a day, I could only find 3. The next day 1. Now none.

Must be tasty. See the fauna list in my signature for a list of likely culprits.

#8 ·
amanda huggenkiss said:
My apistos ate my cherries. So my money would be on the dwarf cockatoos or the rams.
Same here!
I removed the apistos as soon as I saw it, but they already had babies in the tank so I left the babies in. Still saw at least 1 cherry though.
The babies are so far about 1cm long and all over, but no sign of the cherries, feared dead but I never know since theres so many hiding spots

#9 ·
I saw a Cherry Red today! Staying out of site all this time - still swimming around, avoiding the munching jaws my dwarf cockatoos and rams! That's one resourceful little shrimp. I wonder if there are more...

#10 ·
There are more, two more! Thats three out of the original four that have been unseen for months. Today they were aparently driven to the top of the tank by a temporary high CO2 count (28ppm). Do these guys just dissapear when they hit a planted tank - and get a possibly undeservered reputation for getting eaten?

#11 ·
Rams look so nice and sweet until you see them rip into an earth worm or a fish that is the right size. Mine devoured the ghost shrimp i had in the tank quite quickly and i know it was them because i did not have anything else in the tank.

Still my favorite fish though i won't trust them with shrimp again "well maybe as a treat :)"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.