The Planted Tank Forum banner

Sword suffering with zero nitrates

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  jstehman 
#1 ·
I have a sword in flourite with flourish tabs (and flourish liquid for the other plants amended with API Leaf Zone for more iron and potassium.) Oh, an daily Excel. I also made capsules of iron tabs and calcium. It is suffering from lack of nitrates, which I don't want to add to the water column.

Is there a site that provides custom tabs with macro/micro nutrients of my choosing? It would help a lot! I hate making up my own capsules. Thanks!

Photo taken before the sword went to hell...

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't have one right now, as it's at a business whose tank I maintain, but the older leaves start to rot from the edge and if allowed, continue down to the stem. Getting worse and worse by the week.

It's definitely time for new tabs, been 3 - 4 mos. It's still putting out bright red, healthy leaves like mad, so iron is ok, I think. I had pinholes after the tabs and caps with Flourish, so that's why I added the API Leaf Zone for potassium (also for Anubias. )

I've cut down water changes and will let the tank get a little "dirtier," but I still have to do a light vacuum of the top of the substrate, as it needs to be presentable. I also would like to avoid adding nitrate to the water column.

#4 ·
Oh! Click on my .sig tank, "46 gallon bowfront." There's a leaf on the right showing what's going on. It's been a long-term and now accelerating problem. Thx!

#5 ·
#6 ·
Nitrates in the substrate will also be in the water, so adding it in root tabs doesn't do what you seem to want. Why don't you want nitrates in the water? I'm not aware of a single good reason not to have nitrates in the water at at least 20 ppm.

#7 ·
Nitrates up to 20ppm is safe btw. Dont be trained to have 0 0 0 all across for readings.

When you have a nitrate test kit, it will also read 20ppm as in the safe zone. Consider dry ferts nirtate dosing if you believe it is that. Aquariumfertilizers.com

#9 ·
#8 ·
I don't have P and K tests, but I have a nitrate test, and it reads zero. I've had plants including the mother to this sword grow fine with a zero nitrate reading, but that tank was never vacuumed, so that's why I'm worried about getting N to this plant.

I didn't want N in the water, because I have, strangely, a string algae problem in the java moss. My paranoia is probably driven by old myths about what promotes algae. But I guess mainly I'd like to not overwhelm the tank owner with having to dose yet another liquid fert.

So, after studying some threads and looking at fert tabs, and considering work for my client, I think I'm going to make some Osmocote Plus caps and see how that goes. If it doesn't work, I can use it in my house plants, but I think it will, since I remember now that I had put Jobe's Spikes in with the Flourish tabs originally! Duh...!

Thx,

K

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.