The Planted Tank Forum banner

6.6 gallon shrimp or snail?

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Jen8560 
#1 ·
i have a 6.6 bookshelf, i decided to just have the betta for a fish as advised from another post of mine, but i was wondering if i should get shrimp or a snail to help with algae? i dont have any algae yet but im sure i will this tank is close to a window. if a snail is a good idea then i want one that wont turn into a ton in a short manner of time, one that wont over run the tank. if shrimp is a good idea it would have to be one in a decent price range that i can actually find. Any help would be great

#3 ·
^^^ Agreed.

That being said, my female betta ignores shrimp but loves to eat snails, my male is the opposite. It may vary from fish to fish, so thats something to consider.

You'd probably be safer with a snail though. I'd avoid Otto's as they are happier in numbers and don't realistically see half a dozen being happy in a 6g with a betta....

cheers!

#8 ·
My ghost shrimps live fine with neon tetras, gbrs, otos, platy, boesmani, and betta. heard they will eat smaller shrimp but they never bothered any of my fish. Maybe try one or two from lfs to test out your bettas personality before ordering Amano. Beware. Ghost shrimp can die quickly because they are primarily bred as feeder shrimp.
Two or three Amano should be good. They wont over populate your tank like rcs either because they're fry require brackish water.

#9 ·
When I had ghost shrimp they got huge. We'll not huge but big for ghost shrimp. They'd jump, swim and hunt live daphnia...and one of the buggers snatched an otto by the tail (as I watched) one day. I don't like em :p

For a 6g, one amano is more than enough:) Get one.

#12 ·
I love my amano shrimp and nerite snails, they make a good cleaning crew. Be careful about your betta, some bettas will get aggressive with new tank mates or shrimp. I've got two bettas, one that gets along perfectly well in with amanos, the other one has spent the last few months in fish time-out in a small bowl on the room divider

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.