The Planted Tank Forum banner

NWA's oddly shaped nano.... From scratch 07/22/13 update

11K views 106 replies 33 participants last post by  NWA-Planted 
#1 · (Edited)
So this is going to very curious to see how it turns out :)

Dimensions: 16"x12"x6"

I like the big foot print low height big tanks... Soo I thought why not build my own! I am just using regular pane glass didn't want to invest to much if it turns out to be a flop!! so here begins the journey... Scaping, still undecided, it will house my office betta and some new shrimp ;)

Yes the betta is shrimp friendly!!

Laid out

Rough mock up

I am pretty freaking excited, will start making the mess tomorrow mwahaha

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

See less See more
#34 ·
I really am starting to like the low height tanks more and more. I also like the longer tanks but I am asking myself about the "depth", from front to back and which would be more aesthetically pleasing to the eye, a narrow yet long tank like the 12g 36"x8"x9" or one like you have built. You certainly have much more depth than a narrow tank. I like the look of a carpeted tank and it seems you will have a lot more choices with the large footprint. The tank looks great and I cant wait to see how it turns out after scaping it.

#39 ·
Leak corrected, doing another leak test.

Also figured out how to do the filtering, basically a sump, inside! will have a little 92gph fountain pump powering the setup very right side.

Right portion is 4 inches high to allow water to freely flow into the filter media and can build substrate up to 4 inches if ii wanted.

Then the water will flow down and under into the pump area

Then last, water pumps up and out back into the tank, I may trim that pane down a smidgen more

"People who don't like bacon can't be trusted. - NWA-Planted"

#42 ·
yes.... Yes I am :)

Got the idea from looking at the truaqua nanos
And a buddy at work and then it kind of hit me like OMG duh!

How is the pump going to pull water from the bottom (through the media chamber) vs pull from above the pump? Or are you going to enclose the pump area somehow?
The pump area glass is sectioned off from the total tank water except for the one inch opening in the bottom of the first chamber.

We will see how it works, I may gave to put a tube on the output so its not just cycling the water in the second chamber

#44 ·
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf<br />
AWESOME IDEA!<br />
i like that idea. man ur really gonna make me do this aren't u
<br />
<br />
Tempting. Very tempting. :icon_smil
Give in to the madness... I mean this is my first attempt :) only time will tell how truly successful it is haha. just have to finalize lighting... Looking at using a 16" finnex fuge Ray about 8 inches up. should give perfect lighting... Unless I diy a setup :-/

#46 ·
Well the internal sump works! now I really need to figure out the outflow right now just has a tube in order to make it work, thinking spray bar? Or some kind of Lily output thing? flow needs to be dispersed somehow...

Tada? lol

#51 ·
that appears to be a lot of flow. ur gonna have hurricane shrimp :)
Yes, a spray bar could be very beneficial, unfortunately I don't have ready access that I know of to acrylic tubing and would definitely need some practice

In the interim, I rigged up this little thing with some scrap glass. actually works pretty good!

set up at work, making sure everything operates in a decent fashion, also going to let it run a few days to make sure it doesn't decide to start leaking haha

Last leak test exposed nothing though

I have decided for the scape, that it will slope down from the back right corner. past that still up in the air, can't decide if I want to use black or white sand... Sigh.. Such a rough life haha

#53 ·
well for the time being going to use this.

I actually did think about a glass spray bar.... Bbuuuttt not sure how I would mount it unless I siliconed it to the side and if I did that... Well... Would suck if I got any algae growth haha!

Though.... Could make glass brackets. I just don't know, could be a little over the top lol

#55 ·
Not to mention a pain! surprisingly the tank is getting fair circulation with this setup. though looks like my local fish store will be carrying Ada products! so bare bottom for now until I can get some Ada soil!

#56 ·
So decided since I am not going to be doing any high light plants, or trying to do a carpet just going to do black sand, going to add a little more than what's in it currently.

For right now just dropped in the old plants and driftwood from my 2.5 gallon.

Going to use some lava rocks to attach moss to, maybe try and do a wall/ carpet of moss. definitely think I want to do mostly stone scaping in this tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.