The Planted Tank Forum banner

125g w/ 40g breeder sump. high tech, in wall-goodness

53K views 192 replies 67 participants last post by  mkadle 
#1 · (Edited)
As of: 12/03/2013

As of: 07/05/2013

I put together a quick progression album for reddit. people seem to be really digging it there, so i figured i'd share here as well.

http://imgur.com/a/jwssM#0

My wife and I are in the midst of renovating our basement to be a more usable living space. That includes a TV area, a kid's play area, and a mixed used area.

This mixed use area will be a night time office, for when I have work to do and the family is asleep, an area for the aforementioned 125 gallon, and possible a dry bar (hell, maybe wet).

We have a closet in the corner that was being used for storage as well as access to our electrical box. It sat at around 6' x 6'. The idea was always to keep this that size... only now it's coming out about a foot one way, and 18.5" the other!

The 125 will sit with full visibility of the front and one side, so it'll be in the corner of a wall.

At this point in the renovation we're up to building out that area itself... and currently, the only tank related item (pictured below) is a 20' PVC tube that will be connected to the tank's pump for easy water changes.

This weekend will, if our new stairs arent in, culminate with the rest of the closet being built w/ the opening/stand for the tank as well as hot and cold water lines to make water changes a simple ordeal!

So far I've planned out a decent bit of what will be going into the tank:

flora:
Vallisneria spiralis
Anubias barteri var. barteri
Anubias barteri var. nana
african fern
Eleocharis parvula
red tiger lotus

fauna:
3-4 pair kirbensis cichlids
1 Ctenopoma Acutirostre
20-40 Congo tetra
20-40 african banded barb
* african killifish (probably not)
* Synodontis catfish (not sure which species)
* Atya gabonensis (viper shrimp)

Substrate will be coming from our own hydrophyte. I received some of his substrate for my 20g long and love it.

Lighting will come from buildmyled.com

I already have ferts and co2 system(s). while most of my plants don't require a "high tech" set up, the hairgrass will.

I am still debating with myself between using a 55g as a sump, or going with a filter. If i went with a sump I could use a section as a grow out tank for the baby kirbensis I plan on being able to sell.

the hardscape will mainly be driftwood and stones and not made to resemble much of anything other than a natural habitat (though that may be a stretch)

As you might tell, my flora and fauna choices are all strictly african. I currently have a pair of kirbensis and, really, they're my inspiration for this tank.

eventually I plan on adding an arduino unit to control the timing for co2, lights (with dusk and dawn), fertilizer dosing and toggling the heater. I may even look into automated feeding and water changes.

Attachments

See less See more
#48 ·
thanks. I'll post up some other pictures once we're closer to getting done... or i'll toss together an imgur album. it's currently more documented on my facebook.

This is going to be an awesome tank and you are doing a terrific job documenting the build.

Tell me what you know about the african banded barbs; I am not familiar with them at all. The congos will look great; 40 of them would be all you need IMO. Any idea how the two schools will integrate?
I don't know diddly to be honest. It's been very difficult to get a list of african fish OTHER than cichlids. congo tetra and banded barbs come up quite often while digging through search results. I'm not sure if 40 congo tetra will be too many considering they get to around 3". I plan on starting with 20 and seeing how they look as they get larger.

#47 · (Edited)
This is going to be an awesome tank and you are doing a terrific job documenting the build.

Tell me what you know about the african banded barbs; I am not familiar with them at all. The congos will look great; 40 of them would be all you need IMO. Any idea how the two schools will integrate?

#49 ·
A school of 40 3" fish might be just a dream, but I can confirm for you that more is better, at least when it came to my rummynose tetras. Everything I see and read about congos puts them on my short list. Even if they don't always hang together, 40 would make one heck of a display.

#54 ·
not close enough! I still need to figure out the damned filtration... then I'll start playing with that. This thing isnt going to be set up for planting/fish until after the drywall is up and ready for paint.

Funds are tight, but I'm hoping to see this tank going by the end of april

I just like the look of the congos. Beautiful fins and their colors are subtly stunning.

This is YOUR tank; what I like should play no role in what you put in there.
I just wanted your opinion as I've limited experience with them. I'll probably end up choosing the red eyed tetra though. I'd like to take a bit more care choosing fauna from around the niger river delta. though, i suppose it really doesnt matter.

Looking forward to some more pictures!
me too! tank is on the floor right now. hot and cold water all done. holes drilled for plumbing. next step is to seal the wood with some outdoor wood varnish. Then the tank can be put back up and there it will sit until we do the drywall for that wall...

progress is slowing down. between paying for the basement and paying for the tank my bank accounts are hurting a little bit. Doesnt help i've been working 4 days a week instead of 5 haha.

#55 ·
Hopefully that tank won't crack. That cat has voided the warranty. No going back now.

How did you decide on your lighting? Can you be specific as to which lights you selected?

My 125 is progressing exponentially slower than yours. Not sure if that makes you feel any better.

Are you still planning on a sump? That would simplify your filtration questions, wouldn't it? Maybe just a sock and then loads of plastic dish scrubbers... maybe some rings as well.

Keep posting pics. I've been following this thread for a while. Great potential. Can't wait to see it full of fish and plants.

#61 ·
How did you decide on your lighting? Can you be specific as to which lights you selected?

My 125 is progressing exponentially slower than yours. Not sure if that makes you feel any better.

Are you still planning on a sump? That would simplify your filtration questions, wouldn't it? Maybe just a sock and then loads of plastic dish scrubbers... maybe some rings as well.

Keep posting pics. I've been following this thread for a while. Great potential. Can't wait to see it full of fish and plants.
I knew i wanted to go with LED's and had planned on making them myself. but, if i had done that it would be a year before the tank was complete! I'll be using buildmyled.com's "display" plant led fixture. Actually, i'll be using two 32".

I will be using a sump, and that is still in the very early stages of planning. I wanted to use my 55, but it won't fit! The only standard aquarium that petco sells that would fit would be a 29. though, i could source a 37 as well... but I'd prefer to buy from petco during the next $1/g sale. the other option is to buy some acrylic and get to work.

I have around 34" width to fit something, unfortunately. And if I had planned out the base better i would've made sure the inside depth was adequately sized for a tank, as it... it's 11.5". so I can't even sneak the 55 in there.

#62 ·
I hope when you make the sump you'll give us a step-by-step, because I've decided I want to do a 29g wet/dry for my 125 also (I'm waiting on the $1 sale too - lol). I can't remember if your tank is drilled? My isn't and I'll be using a hob overflow box.

#64 ·
I know this might not be what you want to do, but since there is no dry wall up and the tank is on the floor, couldn't you take out the stand framing you have done and turn the boards the opposite way and regain some space? I know it would be some extra work and cash, but it is better to bight the bullet now and do it, then regret the limited amount of space you have after the tank is up and running and drywall up and painted!!

Just a thought!

If it were me I would turn the 2X on their vertical that the tank will be sitting on, and install the vertical supports 90* from the way they are now, and you would have A LOT more space! Then put some cross bracing in the main frame where the tank sits and it would be on the money!

Like I said it would be extra work and $, but it would be soooo much easier now!

Either way this is a COOL BUILD, and I am jealous BIG TIME!!!
Drew

#67 ·
can't be done :( everything is tied in now. the wall, the stand... and we've screwed pressure treated lumber into the cement floor. It would be way too much work. I'd hate to do that to my father in law as well. That and my wife might have a heart attack.

I'll just deal with it, it's really not that bad. I could always give glasscages a shot or order some acrylic and do it myself. Besides, it would be fun. maybe have an 10" x 4' acrylic tank down there? have it flow in from both sides and have the exit in the center.

=< why aren't i more handy? I need to build something like this =<
it's less me and more my father in law. I came up with the requirements, he planned out most of it. Though, we both did the work. Honestly though, this basement wouldn't be where it is today, and in such a short amount of time, without him.

He's really been the biggest motivation because he's such a work horse, and I am not!

Great build! Where are you in Philly? I'm right by Fitler Square, by where the river trail begins.
outside philly in the trevose area.

#68 ·
got myself a sump tank for free.

This is a 40b from a petco and was used to keep feeder fish. this is already drilled w/ three holes. two next to each other, and another on the same glass but by the other side.

this isn't an ideal set up for me as I'd prefer to have the sump under the tank, but it will work out well enough.

the plan is to have the feed from the 125 go into the two holes that are next to each other. I'll block the other hole and pump out from that end though. I will have a light on it, at least a section, for 10-20g area for growing plants, fry, shrimp, etc.

I intend on using pex instead of pvc pipes for most of the piping to reduce any elbows and keep the system movable in case that needs to occur in the future.

I'm also hoping to take advantage of the space in the "maintenance room" for a rack of 10's or 20's for fry, shrimp, plants, food, whatever. as far as my wife is concerned, if she can't see it, it's doesnt exist! I'd love to have 3 20 longs on top of each other, tied in to the same filtration as grow out tanks. Ideally I'll be able to raise african dwarf cichlid fry here as it is my intention to find some of the other species for this tank and hope for breeding.

Attachments

#69 ·
I'm up the road in Fairless Hills....If youm ever need a hand moving a tank (or sheet of drywall) let me know...not very handy but can certainly lend a hand....

The build is looking great. i didn't see it mentioned but I see its in a basement- is there a floor drain or will water changed need to be carried out up a flight of stairs?

#71 ·
take a look back through some of the pictures :D I ran hot and cold water into the room and have 25' of pvc running to a utility sink. anything i need to do should be able to be taken care of behind the tank. clean and easy!

Thats such a great design- with the room and the tank on a corner...

My 125 sits on two old speakers from the 70s and has a canopy that weighs a ton built for free from scrap wood...

I want a room like yours attached to the back so bad! Can't wait to see the final!
thanks, kind of a dream come true. only wish i had room upstairs!

#72 ·
it's been a few weeks since we've had any awesome fish tank updates. since then we've been finishing the rest of the framing and new stairs. couple of weeks ago we drywalled the ceiling, yesterday was the first bit of drywall on the walls themselves... and today we went from this:

to uh... this:

we used mold resistant drywall for the walls, hence the purple/blue/perrywinkle. And, we're 80% done with the drywall. still left is the remaining wall to the right of the picture and the stairwell area.

I can't believe just how far this project has come, not just the fish tank area.

for those running larger tanks like this that have overflows, how did you setup the outflow nozzles?

and the 1st attached photo is of behind the tank. you'll see the co2 tank has a little shelf w/ a hole cut in it to keep it from tipping over. I still need to figure out all this damn plumbing!

Attachments

#75 ·
it's pretty amazing to just go down there and stare at the entire basement. it's incredible to see what i had in my head coming to fruition for the placement of the tank. I just hope my skill to make the tank itself look good gets better than it currently is!

So who wants to come do this for me?
I will, it'll just cost you a few grand + material + travel expenses.

#78 ·
not a huuuuge update as far as the tank goes. but a rather large one in terms of the basement.

the drywall is 100% done, including the taping and spackle. which means, clean up this week, primer this weekend, painting during the week and next weekend.

Once that is done I'm going to start purchasing components for the filtration. I'm debating on how to lay out the sump. I've been very very tempted to just get thick foam/sponge to create the chambers. ultimately really needing just a separation between the intake, outtake, and a section for fish/shrimp/growout. I can't imagine truly needing baffles for this tank considering the sheer amount of surface space for biological filtration to grow already.

i'll have a picture of the area shortly, once it uploads to my computer. having some technical issues! not a huge deal, just has proper edges done now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.