The Planted Tank Forum banner

My very first aquarium

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  thenameless 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

this aquarium has been running for 2 years and few months now(got it in Jan 2010). I finally decided to start my journal,about time right,lol.
it's nothing fancy, looks more like jungle:hihi:. i replanted it few times over the time, i know it looks noobish even after the two years i had it, i just like it that way. i have learned a lot from it though, especially about the plants and their needs, i have been growing low to mid light plants. had trouble when i was using that aqueon 15w light that came with the kit, last year i finally got better light and it helped a lot and recently i have started using fertilizers and that's even better. and i have to thank this forum(YOU GUYS) for a lots of ideas!!!i also have a 10g tank, which is housing swordtail fry and some plants as well(i'll make another journal about it too later on).i want to go bigger so im currently looking for a larger tank - i'd love to have more fish and plants(it's addicting as all of you know :biggrin:). i guess that's all i have to say for now. i'll be glad for any comments....

Equipment:
Aqueon 20g tank
Zoomed 2x24W light
Aqueon heater 100w
Aqueon quietflow filter 20
Gravel from petco

Fertilizers:
PPS - Pro method
Root tabs

Fish:
1x Common Pleco (Pterygoplichtys pardalis)
3x Red wag swordtail (Xiphophorus helleri)
5x Sarpae tetra (Hyphessobrycon eques)
6x Neon tetra (Paracheirodon innesi)
1x Peppered cory (Corydoras paleatus

Plants:
Amazon Swords (Echinodorus amazonicus)
Anubias barteri var. nana
Dwarf sagittaria (Sagittaria subulata)
Giant Vallis (Vallisneria gigantea)
Aponogeton crispus
Egeria densa
Java fern (Microsorum pteropus)
unknow plant

i took these pictures today after WC

Water Plant Green Pet supply Organism

Water Plant Green Pet supply Botany

Water Plant Vertebrate Green Botany

Water Plant Plant community Green Light

Plant Nature Leaf Reptile Water

this is a picture of my pleco(working on a bigger tank for him). he has been with me since the beginning.

Plant Leaf Nature Organism Terrestrial plant

and my cory(need to get him some friends i know)

that's all for now

JAN

See less See more
#4 ·
thanks

nice tank, that unknown plant looks like anacharis
thanks, anacharis is egeria densa if im not mistaken. i have another one its in the back that i dont know the name... you cant really see it.

#5 ·
beautiful!
only one problem that i can see: that common pleco is gonna get HUGE, and they're known for uprooting plants. a 20 gallon is way too small for it. i'd exchange or sell it if you can, and get a bristlenose pleco instead.
EDIT: actually, i noticed you only have one cory cat... they're a lot more fun/lively in groups! i'd get at least a couple more of them, maybe instead of a bristlenose. i guess that depends on how much algae you need eaten though (go for the BN if you get a lot of algae).

EDIT EDIT: my bad, didn't see you already were trying to get a bigger home for him. awesome :D

#7 ·
yeah, i know he will get huge, i really like him though, just have to get him bigger tank. i used to have 5 cory cats, but 4 of them died:( so i have this lonely cory now, but i'll get him some friends soon.

#8 ·
thanks. yeah i want him to have enough room so he can grow, i know he is gonna get big. yeah the cories look great when in group, just need to make some space for them. hopefully i can get some bigger tank soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.