The Planted Tank Forum banner

Oscar & Planted Tank

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  gonzo.pete 
#1 ·
Hi
I will be receiving a 160gal in 2 weeks. It's going to be Oscar fish home (hopefully a pair). I have read that these guys uproot plants, and I'm not into fake plants at all. Any ideas on how to keep (at least a few) plants (how?which ones?) with Oscar fish around? I have seen some pics of Oscars in planted tanks (not sure if fake plants glued in)

Thanks
Pepe
Old-newby
Santo Domingo

#4 ·
my 14" oscar (back when i was into predatory fish) would tear anything he could apart, driftwood, plants, pretty much anything in the tank. you might get away with some moss or maybe an anubias. but i dont think anything else will make it long term. he even broke the plastic plants i tried one time.

#6 ·
Its very hit and miss with Oscars and planted tanks. On rare occasions you will hear of one that will live and thrive in a heavily planted tank.
My O has never paid any attention to his plants and never digs the substrate.

You can look around for a mature Oscar that someone is getting rid of and that the owner knows doesn't trash his tank. I don't think there is anything you can do to teach or train an Oscar not to dig though.

You might try having tall plants and the very back of the tank, out of his general swimming area and against the rear wall. Also very small plants at the front.

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.