12g Long Iwagumi (DSM started 8-29)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-25-2014, 04:00 AM   #1
pewpewkittah
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

12g Long Iwagumi (DSM started 8-29)

I've wanted to upgrade my 5.6g iwagumi tank, so I got a 12g long since they seem to be very popular. I have to say, as soon as I saw this tank... I fell in love, the dimension are amazing. I can see why so many people have this tank!

Anyway, I want to keep this high-tech because I don't want to deal with the fluctuating PH that comes with dosing Excel. I think that's what was causing unexplained deaths in my previous shrimp tank.

Planning on getting the parts this week to put together a stand that will double up as a headboard with shelves and cubbies to hold the equipment.

Specs:
Mr. Aqua 12g Long Aquarium
DIY Stand
AT-200 Canister Filter
5lb tank with Aquatek Regulator
Seriyu stone
Black Diamond blasting sand

Flora:
HC
Blxya jap.
DHG?
AR. Mini?

Fauna:
30 PFR
6-8 Otos

Finally got all the sand rinsed after two days... trying different scape ideas at the moment. What do you guys think? Personally, I really like A, but I am going to see if I still like it in a few days .

I really appreciate any suggestions or critiques!

A

B

C

Last edited by pewpewkittah; 08-29-2014 at 11:03 PM.. Reason: title
pewpewkittah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2014, 10:56 PM   #2
pewpewkittah
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hardscape is set and I am starting a DSM with the HC from my old tank.

I know I should be misting 2-3 times a day, to keep the plants moist. I also have the top covered and left an inch open on one side to have some air circulation. Before planting I misted the soil heavily to make sure it was a little wet. But, after I am done planting, should I add enough water to ALMOST reach the lowest part of the soil? I just don't want the plants drying out!

Thanks

Old 08-30-2014, 12:15 AM   #3
ChemGuyEthan
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewpewkittah View Post
Hardscape is set and I am starting a DSM with the HC from my old tank.

I know I should be misting 2-3 times a day, to keep the plants moist. I also have the top covered and left an inch open on one side to have some air circulation. Before planting I misted the soil heavily to make sure it was a little wet. But, after I am done planting, should I add enough water to ALMOST reach the lowest part of the soil? I just don't want the plants drying out!

Thanks
I like the scape!

If you haven't already, I hope you are going to break up that clump of HC...like you did with the other stuff. I assume this is just a midway picture, but I had to ask, haha.

And yes, fill the water to just below the surface, maybe a centimeter or so. Misting 3 times a day is a little overkill unless you live in a really dry climate, especially if it's covered with cling wrap. I misted my HC morning and night for about a week or so, then cut it back to once a day unless I noticed significant drying. Since the blasting sand is inert, I may suggest that you spray with some sort of diluted fertilizer. I used tank water from one of my other EI dosed tanks. This should help the plants transition from submersed to emmersed. Keep an eye out for spider-web looking things on the HC, if you see some, spray with diluted Excel and dry the substrate out a little bit. This is a mold/fungus that kills plants extremely quickly.

Keep up the good work!
Wabi Kusa Attempts
You can never have too many tanks...just too little time.
ChemGuyEthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:32 AM   #4
pewpewkittah
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemGuyEthan View Post
I like the scape!

If you haven't already, I hope you are going to break up that clump of HC...like you did with the other stuff. I assume this is just a midway picture, but I had to ask, haha.

And yes, fill the water to just below the surface, maybe a centimeter or so. Misting 3 times a day is a little overkill unless you live in a really dry climate, especially if it's covered with cling wrap. I misted my HC morning and night for about a week or so, then cut it back to once a day unless I noticed significant drying. Since the blasting sand is inert, I may suggest that you spray with some sort of diluted fertilizer. I used tank water from one of my other EI dosed tanks. This should help the plants transition from submersed to emmersed. Keep an eye out for spider-web looking things on the HC, if you see some, spray with diluted Excel and dry the substrate out a little bit. This is a mold/fungus that kills plants extremely quickly.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you!!

Yeah, I was in the process of breaking that beast down and planting.. Took me about 3 hours.

I added some osmocote root tabs before planting, would that help at all with the fertilization? Or should I further supplement by adding a small amount of Flourish Comp and Excel to the bottle, to combat mold and boost growth.

I really appreciate the info!! This is my first DSM and I don't want to kill off all this HC...

Bump: All finished planting!!

Old 09-06-2014, 05:44 PM   #5
webskipper
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewpewkittah View Post
I know I should be misting 2-3 times a day, to keep the plants moist.
Mini ultra sonic fogger in a 2" deep container on top of a rock will do that for you. They actually make a plastic/foam floater for it.

Set a timer for 15 on 15 off.

Tank is looking good.

Mr12G & Mr30G
Eheim Pimp Club 555
Collecting Unique Mini Red Plants
webskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #6
pewpewkittah
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by webskipper View Post
Mini ultra sonic fogger in a 2" deep container on top of a rock will do that for you. They actually make a plastic/foam floater for it.

Set a timer for 15 on 15 off.

Tank is looking good.
I can't believe I didn't think of that!! I have one of those sitting in a box from when I had poisonous dart frogs. Thank you!!

Old 09-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #7
webskipper
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Sweet!

These little buggers like to warm the water so it's best to keep it in its own container for your application. The diaphragms are universal see amazon.

If the submersed plants aren't liking the emersed situation just fill to an inch above them. Then they will encourage more roots. Every tank is different.

Mr12G & Mr30G
Eheim Pimp Club 555
Collecting Unique Mini Red Plants
webskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:11 PM   #8
tropicalmackdaddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

does the blasting sand have any nutrient value in it? also, that is not much depth for a plant like hc.
I like the scape!
Old 09-06-2014, 06:20 PM   #9
pewpewkittah
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by webskipper View Post
Sweet!

These little buggers like to warm the water so it's best to keep it in its own container for your application. The diaphragms are universal see amazon.

If the submersed plants aren't liking the emersed situation just fill to an inch above them. Then they will encourage more roots. Every tank is different.
Good to know. I am seeing some browning with the HC, but also new growth. So, I think that is a good sign? I heard the browning is normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalmackdaddy View Post
does the blasting sand have any nutrient value in it? also, that is not much depth for a plant like hc.
I like the scape!
Blasting sand is inert. I added fert tabs for when I flood, till then I have been misting with water from my EI dosed tank.

I agree with you, I actually added more sand a few days ago!

Old 09-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #10
pewpewkittah
Planted Tank Obsessed

One week update!

I am going to add blyxa to the corners behind the larger rocks and some AR "mini" in between the two rocks on the left side as a focal point. I'll be doing this after I flood the tank. Building the stand this week!

Added some s. repens to transition from HC to blyxa.

There is some browning and a little green growth.. Hopefully I start seeing more green within the next week.