The Planted Tank Forum banner

under tank heaters?

849 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  steven p 
#1 ·
So, my bedroom is a little chilly and i figured some warmth might help some carpeting plants pick back up. The tank is a ten gallon, planted with lilaeopsis grasses, hair grasses, some crypt, ludwigia and a brazilian sword. Its sitting at between 68 and 73 degrees depending on which room mate touched the thermostat last.

The Zoo Med Reptitherm under tank mats are exactly what i want, something like a small version of a seedling warmth mat.

My concern falls on the manufacturers claim that any water in contact with the glass tank will cause a heat fracture.

1. Is this just so they dont get sued when someones lizard spills its water dish on the hot spot of the glass?

2. If the substrate is all wet and stays that way will this help prevent the fractures or would i be doomed to cleaning up mud and sand from off my coffee/tank table?

I dont really ever plan on filling the tank and it has a toad and a female fiddler living in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.