The Planted Tank Forum banner

Do i have any chance growing Glosso

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Rush3737 
#1 ·
Hi guys

In the next couple of weeks I'm going to be starting again with my aquarium and wanted to go back to planted with my Discus. Its not going to be crazy planted and at the moment I've decided on Rotala and Anubias. Its basically going to be rock/root type style.
my setup..
:4x2x2 Aquarium, 105 us gallons.
:2x 39w HOT5 with reflectors. Bulbs will be due a change so can go with anything really.
:Standard fine gravel
:No Co2 but I do have Excel. Also have no problem doing ferts or putting root tabs in if needed.
:Temp is going to be around 28 Celsius/ 82 Fahrenheit, and PH is 6.8 with medium/soft water.

Now i really want to try Glosso as the carpet plant, what i want to know really is if i have any chance of succeeding or should I not waste my money and go with something else? if so what options do i have if any?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Dan

See less See more
#2 ·
Hard to say, I've never had luck with any foreground plant HC/Glosso/microsword. I've had medium-high light and co2 injected. Although, glosso is my favorite plant I've yet to get it to grow. Doesn't mean I'm not going to keep trying. Give it a shot if it doesn't work try somthing else. I've heard MM is easier looks similar. (marselea minuta)

#3 ·
The only one i've tried previously was HC. Had angels in the tank then and they just ripped it out all the time. Unfortunately i'm in the uk and it seems marselea minuta isn't available over here :(

Suppose i could get a few pots of Glosso and give it try!

#4 ·
Decided to give a go and try to make it work, also invested in some other items. So my tank will be running like this:

4x2x2 400 litre aquarium
2x39w HOT5 and now 2x24w HOT5 as well (Had another controller lying around so thought its better to use it) all with reflectors.
Substrate will be a mix of fine gravel and eco complete.
Will does with Seachem Flourish and Excel as Co2 substitute.

The plants will be Glosso, rotala rotundifolia and blyxa japonica with a little Sumatra wood. Will hopefully make a pleasing tank and a happy discus pair!

Are my chances with this tank good? or am i flogging a dead horse haha.

Cheers
Dan

#5 ·
I love my Glosso. It is a high light plant thou. I actually took it out & went w/ Dwarf Baby Tears instead & the Glosso took it over cause I didn't remove all the root material out of my substrate = Eco Complete & Seachem Flourite mixed & it grew back out so I just let it go. I dose the following Seachem ferts 3 times a week = Plain Flourish, Nitrogen, Potassium & Phosphorus. I am also running co2 injection w/ a co2 reactor. Give it a shot, what do you have to loose? If it works out for you it is a VERY good looking foreground plant...

#6 ·
Since I'm failing with other foreground plants I was thinking of trying Glosso. Might just throw some shorter stems up front instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.