The Planted Tank Forum banner

Confused journey of another nano

46K views 303 replies 43 participants last post by  MABJ 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys!

This will officially be my first journal here. You can skip the story and just look at pictures at the end if you like, but I'll be sure to keep a current picture, along with updating the confusing story as I go!

I've wanted another tank for a long while, but I didn't know exactly where to drop money. Well I saw the very first fish tank I ever bought dusty in my garage shortly before the semester began, and I decided it would be the perfect place to reinvest.

It is a vanilla looking 2.5 gallon tank, ripe with potential. Potential that is fermenting, as I can't come up with ideas for it! I already know its inhabitants. They will be 4 red cherry shrimp, two small CPO crayfish and possibly -- maybe -- someday a trio of H. Formosa (Least Killifish). I do have a few things I know I want for the tank. I want it to use its entire top and bottom area with a scape, but I don't want to delve into the high tech arena. I don't do CO2 yet, so high lighting is out.

-- More story time! --

So I was very unhappy with the way the tank looked, also that many of my things either weren't shipping, or shipped wrong. So I decided to change everything up. Admittedly, I borrowed from a few other people's ideas, but they all will get their credit!

-After getting sick of the standard 2.5, I fell in LOVE with Somewhatshocked's new nano: a 2.5ish gallon Deep Blue Professional tank that is a whopping 18" long, 6" deep and 7" high. It is an impressive footprint for anything I may put in this tank. I've got a lot of possible ideas, but I'll give my little CPO's their shot first :). Needless to say, I found a good deal online, and I got it for $32 shipped.
-I got screwed on a light purchase from Dr.Fosters&Smith, but they took a return, so after searching around, Somewhatshocked gets credit again. He helped me pick out a mounted 300 lumen LED unit, which puts my tank right on the low-mid light line. Just what I wanted. The light will cost $35 shipped, but with a RAOK won gift card from l8nite, it will cost me $10 shipped.
-When visiting a friend's apartment, I fell in love with the sandstone he had in his tank. Bananariot gets credit for pointing me in the direction of Bartohog who sold me the sandstone for $32 shipped. I got to pick and choose the stones, which they both guaranteed haven't, and wont, leech into my water. Fresh from a mountain in Arkansas, they needed cleaning. I fixed them up and plopped a few in. I've still got a TON of stone left, so this was definitely a great purchase. The amount of stone in this tank will get a price tag of $11, as I'll be using the other stone for a long time to come.
-I got screwed on aquabid, but in a futile attempt to save some of my plants, DogFish kindly shipped me a package of plants which currently are they makeup of my tank. They desperately need permanent homes for their roots and that light, so I hope it all works out soon. Final cost? ($7 shipped)
-I've added a black background to the tank, I think it looks awesome, but I'm open to changing the color. I've rescaped a few of the plants.

Everything is coming together, but it doesn't mean I don't still have goals!

Goals for this tank:
*Improve on aquascape
*Try my hand at keeping a lower PH around 7.0, keeping KH around 5
*Possibly breeding my cute little CPO rulers of the tank.
*Possibly attempt a moss wall
*Keep it low budget -- possibly under 100 for tank only use

As I want to keep it low budget, I'll mark where my money has gone this far.

Expenditures:
15 watt heater, which probably won't get used on the tank -- $8 shipped.
Azoo Palm HOB filter, which I will hopefully insta cycle with media from my up-and-running Spec -- $12 shipped.
300 Lumen light fixture -- $10 (Normal cost of $35) shipped
Half bag of Fuval Shrimp Stratum -- $6 shipped (I got a whole bag, but it was split between two tanks)
1/3 box of amazing sandstone -- $11 shipped (I'll use the other 2/3 on other tanks)
Plant package RAOK -- ($7 shipped)
Tank itself -- $32 shipped

Total budget: Roughly $100
Total spent on this tank to date: $86

--

I've recently bought things for my tank which truly aren't necessary, but I decided I wanted them anyways!

I purchased a second filter, a black background, Tom Barr driftwood and a shipment of H4n plants!

A quick thank you to Acitydweller, DogFish, l8nite, bananariot, bartohog, somewhatshocked, H4N and my friends from other forums who also registered here, along with many others who have taken time to help me out.

Current tank picture:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Okay, here's some beginning photos.

Full tank, just planted a few things.. Not their permanent homes..

Aquarium decor Aquatic plant Pet supply Freshwater aquarium Glass

Shot from the top.. This is my driftwood I took from a trip to Puerto Rico, so probably palm wood.

Glass Fluid Transparent material Freshwater aquarium Fish supply

And a shot of some of the critters who will soon hopefully inhabit the tank.

Leaf Plant stem Twig Annual plant Aquarium decor

Game time: can you pick out the 6 inverts? :)

--

The driftwood is slowly sinking, it barely dipped into the water a few days ago, but it's soaking quicker and quicker.

Any suggestions thus far?!

#3 · (Edited)
Azoo filter in! This thing is SO cute.

I also put in a tetra heater, which keeps the temp around 78. Necessary since it is so cold.

I stuck an adjustable heater in my spec, so I'm happy about that because I wanted the temp around 72 in there. I'd like to try some different shrimp.

I'll keep this posted :) Praying for an instant cycle!

#4 ·
this looks promising what plants are you thinking of??
nice dw

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks!

I am not thinking of much! It's a confused tank :p Lol.

I've got anubias nana, bacopa, a variety of other stem plants and some moss.

I want to do something simple, so I may just do driftwood, moss and anubias.

I'll put my stems in my spec :p

I'm getting some more / different driftwood for the tank from Tom Barr.

I know I would like a moss wall :)

#6 ·
a moss wall would be cool
:)

#8 ·
LOL an Ark. It is sinking a lot. More and more, and I bet the higher temp will help.

Yes. They're all going to be good friends. They inhabit a tank now, with only a little give and chase. I think since there's so few, they should be OK. But the Crays certainly are meat eaters lol.

And yeah I just haven't decided what moss to use yet lol.

From MABJ's iPhone
2G Fluval Spec ~ fauna and flora in the works!

#9 ·
Ok my light should get here Friday or Thursday.

I've also got driftwood on the way from Tom Barr :) so I'm very excited about that.

About the light: it is a 9W 50/50 CFL clip on. The price was 11.99 and it was part of a JBJ picotope set. Dr. Foster & Smith offered it separately though.

I plan on testing this light out, however I know one half of it is blue hued and the other half is 10k acintic. The light is 2 pronged, so I believe I can get a replacement.

I've spotted a few 50/50s that are 6700k 9W. Should I be doing this swap?

Thanks all :)

From MABJ's iPhone

#10 ·
Wow. I feel screwed over by fosters and smith. They said they were selling a 9W lamp... They sent me a lightbulb. I will not be buying from them ever again. Return package out.

Next up? Does anybody have a light they recommend for this tank? I'm looking on amazon for a few lights. I see a ray light I like, but it says it only is compatible with 1/8inch acrylic aquariums.. Mine is glass with a rim.

Hey I warned that this was a confusing one lol.

From MABJ's iPhone

#15 ·
Small update --

I'm officially replacing the tank. The standard 2.5 was not doing it for me.

I've got a brand new 18 inch long Deep Blue Professional tank. Only 2.3 gallons, but such a big footprint. So I'm happy.

I've got sandstone coming from bartohog on Tuesday, and I'm ready to start this thing off. Not sure if I'll do moss as a majority yet. Still experimenting.

I do have nematodes already, if that doesn't tell you something lol. So hopefully it means I'm getting a decent biofilm started.

From MABJ's iPhone

#16 ·
Some things should definitely come together soon. I'll need some help with aquascaping and plant choice :).

I got rock today. Wow it is beautiful. Bartohog did a great job with packing and shipping. It is a very porous sandstone. I'm giving it a good warm bath, soak, brush and RO soak and then I'll be sticking it in my tank. Wish me luck! It is extremely heavy, but it should be worth it.

From MABJ's iPhone

#17 ·
OK. I have finished aqua scaping for now, but I'm waiting on my light. After that, all I need is purchased. I'm under budget! Yay.

So I updated the story in the original post thread. But I'll still take you guys through what I did.

I don't have a spot picked out yet, but the tank was packaged well.

Product Display device Room Electronic device Wood

Empty, trying to figure out what I wanted to do first.

Electronic device Display device Technology Electronics Denim

Working on one step of my three step cleaning process for my new rock!

Watch Fashion accessory Recipe Natural material Analog watch

And after I cleaned it, placed the substrate, moved some plants around, placed some rock, this is what I've got now.

Organism Aquatic plant Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium Pet supply

I'll take better pictures when the real light arrives :)

Thanks for looking!

From MABJ's iPhone

#18 ·
I this morning tested my parameters.. While it is an API test strip.. I think it is showing some decent results.

It said PH 7,
GH
KH
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 40

I'm 99% sure my cycle is near its end. Thank you transferring media from tank to tank LOL.

I'll be adding my CPOs within 5 days time.

Any comments up to this point?

From MABJ's iPhone

#19 ·
Okay. Time for an update. The cycle finished up, and I added shrimp, and I added a little food for them.

The tank is infested with planaria babies and I see the first hydra I've ever seen.

Brown Atmosphere Night Astronomical object Atmospheric phenomenon

I'll be dog deworming this tank very soon.

From MABJ's iPhone

#20 ·
I Hate hydra.
Watch out with the dog dewormer! Not sure if that stuff is safe for inverts. Youd be better off trying to spray boiling water on em'. Adding water to a fish tank cant cause any damage. Some poison, on the other hand.. who knows :Z
Beautiful tank :D! I want something like that but literally have nowhere to put it. Got a 75G ~3 years ago in my room, and recently bought two 20L Tanks... Literally threw out my dresser and replaced it with fish tanks :Z haha. If i ever have an office of my own to decorate, definitely going to get something like that. I Love those tanks that are really big looking but in reality are extremely tiny. It lets you do so much when it comes to aquascaping in such a small tank.

#21 ·
Thanks so much!!! It really does give some options. I'm debating adding driftwood or not when a package of it comes in from Tom Barr.

And I'm 100% positive it is OK for shrimp. Snails, they're iffy. My Copepod colonies suffer, but overall it is good. Thank you for your concern though :) I actually was excited to see one. The tank is a work in progress and I was relatively sure I was going to have to nuke it. They're jellyfish relatives and I've wanted to snap a picture of them for myself and watch them in action.

I'll keep this updated! What do you think about driftwood?

#22 ·
Personally, im not much of a fan of mixing stone and driftwood together. I'd stick to either a rock scape, or DW scape. Only place id mix em is in BIG tanks (i didnt even mix in my 75G. Im taking like 100G+ tanks where you have a ridiculous amount of room to scape and cant get by with only putting rocks, haha).
In the tank youve got id say stick with the rocks. Not too much Driftwood that would really fit in there, anyways, i dont think. If it DID fit, it would probably take up too much space and make it look either cluttered or youd end up having to remove a ton of rocks to make space for it :p
Just my .02.. Love the way it looks right now.

#23 ·
Thanks so much! I'll have to do just that then. I'd be remiss if I didn't try in at least one tank, so I guess itll be my spec. This scape truly is a work in progress, and I firmly believe I'll need another azoo palm filter, which I don't mind.

From MABJ's iPhone

#24 ·
Vertebrate Plant Pet supply Wood Organism

Yay the new light is here. I LOVE IT.

Thank you, Jake. This was a wonderful suggestion. With the filter, it gets pushed forward a little, but it's ok.

I may be adding another azoo palm.

Also, I'm starting to use RO water, do any of you have suggestions on remineralizers that are sold on amazon?

Thanks as always!

From MABJ's iPhone

#26 ·
Thanks so much! The shrimp love it lol. I will rescape a little.. But I'm not quite sure how yet lol.

From MABJ's iPhone

#27 ·
Updates.. :)

*I added a black background to the tank
*Moved the IAL a little
*Cut some plants up
*Moved several plants

Enjoy :)

Attachments

#29 ·
If you can get this tank, I'd definitely recommend it :) It is only like $35 when shipped. So it certainly is expensive, but it is crafted well! It has black silicone, and I've never felt a more stable tank. It doesn't wobble at all when you're holding it half full of water.

This is a 17-24" Beamswork light fixture. It sets this tank at the lower end of medium light. It is a cheaper light, especially compared to competitive fixtures. I don't think I can post links, as per what I've been told, but it is on ebay under the seller topdogsellers with free shipping.

#30 ·
This is a gorgeous little tank. I love the hardscape!

#31 ·
Update: I purchased a second azoo palm filter to get flow moving on the other side of the tank. I almost wish I didn't have to Stick my dwarf Crays in here. This tank would be perfect for Pygmy cories.

Everything is going normally. I'm getting some small nitrate spikes, but I'm doing water changes as I see them. I'll be moving 2 Crays over here soon enough :) they're fighting too much in the Spec to leave them there.

I would like to stick a nerite in here, but I'm not sure about it with the Crays. They like to pick at ramshorns, but I hope the nerite is too big?

Well thank you so much!!!

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

#32 ·
Small update!!
Just received a great order of plants from H4n.

Picked up some mini pellia, mini christmas moss and Anubis nana petite.

I have three questions that I would love people to answer:

1.) What does everybody think about pulling all stem plants from the aquarium?

2.) Where would the best place for moss to be in here?

3.) Would a carpet of mini Xmas or mini pellia look good and would they grow well as a carpet?

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.