The Planted Tank Forum banner

aXio's 29 Gallon and 55 Gallon.

14K views 62 replies 18 participants last post by  aXio 
#1 ·
Been lurking for years now. Signed up earlier this year meaning to post some pictures but never got around to it.

55 Gallon 7/31/2011

Equipment:

- Fluval 304 Canister
- Coralife Lighting Fixture w/ 2 x 65w Bulbs @ 6,700k\9 hrs a day.
- Ehiem Jager 250watt Heater
- Seachem Liquid Fertilizers
- Flourite Bedding
- Root Tabs

Flora:

- Ludwigia
- Amazon Swords
- Ozelot Sword
- Tiger Lotus
- Anubias Nana

29 Gallon 7/31/2011

Equipment:

- Fluval 205 Canister
- Coralife Lighting Fixture w/ 65w Bulb @ 6,700k\9 hrs a day.
- Seachem Liquid Fertilizers
- Root Tabs

Flora:

- Anubias Nana
- Anubias Coffeefolia
- Anubias Barteri
- Anubias Gracilis
- Ludwigia
- Amazon Swords

See less See more
#7 ·
Found your tank, looks pretty cool.
If you don't have a ride to the fall meeting, I have a place in the car ;)

#8 ·
Updated pictures for my tanks...

The 29 gallon as you can see has become a bit of a jungle. But the fish love it that way. Oh and sorry for the float plant mass... stuck that in there for the time being after the fish auction I went to yesterday.

The 55 Gallon is pretty much prefect as ever...

I did also get 9 new discus which I am currently keep in a bare bottom 40 gallon for growing out. I'll see about getting some pictures... although it's nothing spectacular =)

#10 ·
Good deals at the auction :)
You should consider swapping your 55 for a 75 or bigger if you want to keep all those discus in 1 tank. Just some advice ;)

#11 ·
Oh I would never put all those in a 55! That would be absurd! I have a 125 gallon that will be their home once they grow up =)

^ no pics..
Shrug... I see them up there just fine. Any else having problems seeing my pictures?

#13 ·
I was thinking about hanging my light above my 55 gallon instead of using the stands. I have a pretty high light output for not having CO2 on my, so I was thinking about raising it about a foot above my tank. I was planning on using hangers from wall and just hanging the light using chains. If anyone has a better hanging idea or any recommendations on how high I should hang my light they would be much appreciated.

#14 ·
10/10/2011 55 Gallon Update

I move a lot of the plants around. Added the pot. And my Tiger Lotus had sprout 2 runners. I'm going to let it shot out a few more for shade.

#20 ·
o_O I'll get some up tonight or tomorrow the latest I promise. The SLR is at the girlfriends house... and I keep forgetting to pick it up when I'm there =/

#21 ·
Well I did a lot of changes on my 55 gallon. Moved/removed a lot of the plants and took out the biggest piece of wood as well as added some Manzanita. Still kinda sleeping on the new design as I feel like it's not entirely there yet, but today I'm going to be working on hanging up my light about a 1' above my tank. I'm going to use cast iron bird feeder hangers that I bought at Home Depot for 10$/ea. So I'm going to wait to post pictures of it until tomorrow once everything is done with the light and I do my weekly water change =)

But in the mean time since you guys want some pictures here are some crappy shots of my 40 gallon grow out tank I took really quickly last night before going out.. Hope you guys like them any way.

#22 ·
I also got in my new Fertilizers in from Pfertz! Been using them about 4 days now and the plants are already responding well... and the easy of use is just awesome =)

#30 ·
So I finally got my light hanging contraption pretty much done. I need to do more adjusting to the chains to get the light in the proper position that I need it to be. The black strings I'm using currently are temporary until I get more hardware to do it properly.

Now before you guys go telling that there would have been much better ways to do it then what I did. Which I understand and agree with you guys. But I wasn't allowed to drill holes into wall and I wanted to do my best to use supplies that I already had here at the house. As well as doing it quickly and easily. So here are some shots of setting it up...

The cast iron bars I got at Homedepot for 10$/ea

The hardware I got from my old man. The copper brackets or whatever you would called them are really meant to hold copper piping in place, but they worked really well for me here. I hammered them down a bit to fit around the cast iron bar more snugly.

Some quick measurements to make sure the 2x4s were the proper length.

Here is the best pictures I could get of how I attached it at the back of the tank.

Shot of inside the stand. As u can see I used the extra prong/leg on the cast iron bar to my advantage. I used shims and one of the copper brackets to secure it even more to the stand.

I spent 7$ on this hanging hardware at Homedepot.

So here are the pictures with the light hanging and the tank. Yes I know the light isn't hitting the tank properly right now, which I'm going to work on correcting during the next few days.

So there you have it. If you guys have any suggestions on how to set the light more properly above the tank so that the light is hitting the tank evenly please let me know it would be greatly appreciated.

#31 ·
So anyone with a suggestion on how to get the light to hang better so the light is hitting the tank at a more proper angle?

#32 ·
I stop by the LFS today on the way home to see what they had plant wise. When I got there I saw that every single one of the plants where melted or completely dead. So after talking to the manager for a little bit he offered to sell me 3 plants at half price and then i could have a handle full of stems free.

Here is what I got. These pictures were taken after a LOT of pruning. There is almost nothing left of the stem after I got through with them.

These were labeled as Anubias Minima. I had to take off about half the leaves off each plant but the ones left are in good condition.

This was label as an Oriental Sword. I took off a good 75% of the leaves off this one. It's in pretty bad shape.

These weren't label. Can anyone give me an ID on these? It looks like some kind of Ludwigia.

ID on these as well anyone?

I put the Oriental Sword in my "sick pot" with the Ozelot Sword.

So... I just can't seem to take pictures with out massive glaring now with the light being raised. So you get to see my socks in this picture =)

More glare shots... =/ But my beautiful Fire Red finally came out a bit for me during picture time. He loves the new lighting.

#35 ·
These weren't label. Can anyone give me an ID on these? It looks like some kind of Ludwigia.

ID on these as well anyone?

Don't take these ID's as gospel because I'm still learning to identify things and someone will probably come behind me and correct it (but at least you'll get an answer :).) I'd say you're right on the first pic. If I had to guess its Ludwiga Repens or maybe green but I don't think the green has the purple underside.

I'd say the second is some kind of rotala, maybe sp. green or macranda.

As for the lighting, you had the EXACT same idea as me. I'm renting so I can't put holes in the wall. When I did mine I actually put the chain in an upside down V so I can make the back or front different lengths which will cause the light to cant forwards or backwards. That's how you can adjust the downward angle to get it centered up a little better.

I'll try to get you some pics of it tomorrow sometime.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.