The Planted Tank Forum banner

Rams and Shrimp

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  imnappy2 
#1 ·
Do shrimp and German Rams get a long with each other?? I just bought a little German Ram and i would like to put cherry shrimp in... How will they react with each other.. or will the ram always be full :)

#3 ·
FWIW, my rams do well with amano shrimp. Not sure how they would do with cherries...

#5 ·
i might just get rid of the ram and go with all shrimp and then some little tetras or something. And with shrimp does keeping one colony in the tank at all times change the way the shrimp are because of constant breeding of the same family?

#6 ·
I used to have a german ram with a male betta splenden and a bunch of shrimp....the ram rarely bothered anyone, my shrimp for the most part survived, the betta never quarrelled and the ram added so much personality to the tank ...now i have a different setup with more shrimp and different fish...well..the bettas still there...and the only thing i miss about my old tank is my ram.

#9 ·
Bolivian Rams are quite a bit bigger than "regular" wild or Blue or German or whatever Rams, so that doesn't surprise me.

I think if you have a few adult cherries in a tank, and throw in a Ram, they will not get eaten.

If you throw a bunch of juvenile cherries into a tank with Rams, they are probably mistaken for food.

I have a female Ram in my 10 gal with hundreds of Cherries, and it feeds on the smaller shrimp, but like Mantis said, ignores the larger ones.

BTW... I stopped feeding the pencil fishies and Ram in the 10 gal, since the Cherries are so prolific that they provide enough food.

#10 ·
wasserpest,
What makes you shrimp so prolific? I really want to get into raising shrimp and this ram can easily head out if i need to the lfs will buy fish back. But i would like to know how to keep shrimp and it sounds like you have that on the lock down.

#12 ·
imnappy2 said:
wasserpest,
What makes you shrimp so prolific? I really want to get into raising shrimp and this ram can easily head out if i need to the lfs will buy fish back. But i would like to know how to keep shrimp and it sounds like you have that on the lock down.
Not sure, I think it's a combination of clean water, lots of plants with a little algae and stuff on them, and my friendly face...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.