The Planted Tank Forum banner

Help. . . looks like Green Koolaid

633 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  SCMurphy 
#1 ·
I just got home from 5 days in the hospital, (wife just had our first baby).
I am new to planted tanks and had a friend taking care of the tank. When I got home it looked like it was filled with green kool aid! I have reduced the light over it to 110 watts, it is a 90 gal tank with 4 55 watt 10,000k daylight bulbs running. It has cleared up dramatically. Is there anything else I can do to clean it up/ prevent it in the future? The tank was a little cloudy before I went in.

Thanks

#4 ·
I just battled a major green water fit in my tank. And i tried everything to the point i started bidding on diatom filters on ebay. But i solved the problem. I did not have enough plants in my 75 gallon to begin with and i was running right about 3.8 watts per gallon. And i did notice that a 10 gallon with the same water i had put in my tank was sitting on the radiator of my house for a few nights and completely cleared up. So i cranked my heater to 85 degrees and reduced the light on top of my tank to 48 gallons and did a 3/4 water change. Left for christmas break for a week and when i came back still no problems with green water. I did notice my co2 wasnt getting dissoved like i wanted it too so i fixed that problem and now i am at about 3.3 wpg not quite where it can be but my water remains crystal clear and we are going on like 3 weeks now.

#5 ·
Congrats on the little one! Hope the green water stays away, but if not it would make a great nightlight for those late night feedings. :icon_bigg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.