The Planted Tank Forum banner

Low Tech Ideas

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mitchfish9 
#1 ·
Hi everybody! I am in search of some ideas for plants for a low tech 20g Long. I don't want to dose anything, nor have CO2 supplementations.

I have learned that I can't really have high light plants without dosing/CO2, so I am looking for low light options.

Here is the interesting part, however. I am a really big fan of Ecoxotics Freshwater Module, so if I just hang that higher over the tank, I think I will be good for low-light. (Because low light plants don't do well in high light, I would have an algae problem, correct?).

I really like that light because I think it is mercury free, and I think it is water resistant, but I am not sure it is the best fit for my plans. :)

By the way, thanks Brian for answering questions in my other thread!

#6 ·
Low tech lighting is difficult for 20 longs since they are only 12 inches tall. The fugeray is a nice light, but you may want to raise the light about 3 or maybe 4 inches off the tank so the par is more around mid 30's which is perfect for low tech. And with 35-40 PAR your plant choices are very plentiful. You can try some rotala, ludwigia, crypts, moss, anubias, java fern ect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.