The Planted Tank Forum banner

Hamburger Mattenfilter for a low tech setup

152K views 508 replies 53 participants last post by  harsaphes 
#1 ·
I've been studying this recently method of filtration recently and him-hawing between this idea and a sump for a new tank I am setting up. After much thought, I'm about 85% convinced I'm trying this out. So for those that want to follow along, feel free. This is a thread to show the progress of my building it, to share my experiences both short term and long term. However, please know that this may be like my canopy and take years to complete of I may abandon the idea completely, so feel free to just look at the links or move on shaking your head at my slowness. :tongue:

Also, please don't turn this into another debate thread on the HMF. There are plenty out there already, and I am even giving you links to the pros and cons. If you feel the need to argue this method of filtration, I suggest starting your very own thread or else I will abandon this documentation entirely as I have no desire to have yet another thread loose it's original purpose in order to feed egos (again, there are enough threads to do that). ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DItfIGJL-Uc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ColI4FOSFHY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-lTCMdxQeA
http://www.deters-ing.de/Berechnungen/Berechnungen.htm#Mattengroesse
http://www.shrimpnow.com/content.php/265-Hamburger-Matten-Filter-(HMF)
http://aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?79104-Hamburger-Mattenfilter-HMF
http://www.janrigter.nl/mattenfilter/
http://www.crustaforum.com/board/showthread.php?202-Hamburg-Mat-Filter-(HMF)
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...wet-thumb-forum-new-filtration-concept-3.html

Does anyone currently have a HMF setup in his/her own tank? If so, please share pictures if you have any! I'm looking for inspiration. :icon_smil

Step one: Finding poret filter #30.
Step two: More research for example, do I want to use an air driven pump or the aquaclear filter #20 already on hand?
Step three: To cover or not to cover? That is the question (i.e. Moss or clado?)
Step five: Actually start working on step one.

Edit: A new awesome link provided by Bahugo: http://www.shrimpnow.com/forums/showthread.php/3677-My-racks-and-shrimps

See less See more
#67 ·
I did the calculation from a different perspective. I don't want to get a second mortgage in order to buy the foam, so I started with the assumption I would buy a 19.5" x 13" piece of foam. My 65 gallon tank is 22.5 inches high on the inside, so I need a piece of foam about 22.5 inches by "X" that can be made from that piece of foam. I made a sketch to work this out:

If it isn't obvious, I would cut a 3" wide strip off the 13" width of the piece, cut a 10" long piece of that and glue it on the end of the now 10 inch wide piece of foam, giving me a 22.5 x 10 inch piece of foam. Cut a 2 inch strip off the side of that and glue it to make a "L" shaped foam piece.

This would make a "L" shaped filter for the back corner, like:

That has 225 square inches of surface or 1450 square cm. So the flowrate for the powerhead should be: 60 x A x V/1000, or 60x1450x15/1000, because 15 cm/minute is given as about the max velocity it will work with. That gives a flow rate of 1305 liters per hour. Multiply by .264 to convert that to gallons per hour, or 345 GPH. That is the biggest powerhead I could use. The smallest would be about 1/3 of that or 115 GPH. I have a couple of powerheads that will work for that.

#71 · (Edited)
A non serrated kitchen knife works great. Cut without compressing the foam much and your cuts will come out straight. Closer to slicing cheese.

Edit: I recently did this with a knife that wasn't as dull as a bowling ball. Cutting this stuff with a kitchen knife that is remotely sharp is more like cutting butter with a warm knife than cutting cheese. Just remember that you're sliding, not just pushing.

Attachments

#74 ·
Razorworm, I am glad you were just in much misery as I was. ;)

Sure, Hoppy take the easy way out of the fun calculations. :hihi: Actually, that's pretty sweet and much easier. Glad jccaclimber answered the question on how to cut the foam. I was planning on using a jigsaw. Instead of glue, have you thought of sewing the pieces together with monofilament?

#75 ·
Poret Foam cuts very easily. I had the same resvations about it when I ordered. As stated above use a good serated knife and sort of saw it, all will be well.... it is way more rigid than upolstery foam.
I made mine a wee bit larger than the actual demensions so it would fit tight (by pressure). It ended up bowing a bit but looks fine.

#77 ·
I decided to use Mattenfilters with Poret foam a couple years ago when I acquired six identical 30G tanks that were 24"L x 18"W x 15 3/4"H. They are perfect sizes for my Tanganyika shelldwellers.

I wanted to use the Poret in the rear corner of each tank and after looking for info on the Internet, I ended up viewing the same sites that you linked to in your first few posts.

If you have the time, you could also silicone narrow glass strips in the tank to hold the corner style Mattenfilter like I did.

View from front of tank with Poret foam in place

View from top of tank

View from top of tank with heater and DIY PVC uplift tube installed

Filter in operation

I did end up using some short lengths of acrylic about 1" high to insert along the bottom between the Poret and the glass holding strips to prevent my sand substrate from contacting the Poret.

I'll have to try and get some pics of the tanks setup now. I have found the Najas grass grows extremely well on the Poret surface and as long as it doesn't get too thick, it doesn't interfere with the filter operation at all.

#80 ·
If you have the time, you could also silicone narrow glass strips in the tank to hold the corner style Mattenfilter like I did.

Too much work with glass.. now this though....

small bead of silicone along the edge and voila. You can go to the evil blue hardware store or the bloodsucking leeches that work at the orange hardware store..

#78 ·
^Excellent photos. That's what I was trying to describe above. I would glue the glass to the bottom of the tank as well (notching a corner to clear the tank seam), and add a plate at the top. However, it looks like it's working pretty well for you. How firm are the two vertical plates?

#91 ·
Thank you, pics always explain better than words, at least for DIY projects.

The two vertical holders are solid, no movement whatsoever. I had my local glass company cut them for me. They are 1"W x 14"L x 1/4" thick with polished edges so they aren't sharp. They also cost me $4.50 per tank so a bit more expensive then I anticipated.

The problem with adding a glass plate at the bottom is that it doesn't conform to the radius of the foam curve and is really only necessary when using fine grain sand as it gets 'sucked' into the foam.

Adding a plate to the top runs into the same problem as well as interfere with the placement of the air lift piping.

#81 ·
Glass is actually pretty easy, especially if you have the shop cut it for you. Probably only $5 in glass, possibly less, plus a tube of silicone. From the universal angle corner guards I've seen in the past, they are pretty flimsy and rely on being attached to both walls on a corner to hold their shape. I suspect they would just flatten out instead of holding the foam in.
As an unexpected upside, yesterday I noticed that my christmas moss is attaching to the aluminum.

#83 ·
Ok, let me ask the stupid question. Other than the foam's surface area, and the ability to hide the heater, how is this different than using a sponge filter on a powerhead? Is it similar?
I ask because this interests me, and I am trying a sponge filter on a powerhead now in a 29g tank (vs. the Tetra Whisper hob filters I've always used before) I find I really, really like the silence of the powerhead/sponge combo, plus there are no unsightly filter units looming over the tank. I see these as benefits of the Mattenfilter too.
I hope to be setting up two 55s this winter and I'm considering the Mattenfilter as a corner unit. Btw, sewingalot's post not only gave me a headache, my eyes started to cross. Math is my downfall - when the time comes I may need help in deciding what gph powerheads to get!
lol

#90 ·
lol - I think she & I live close enough to get together, too!
thanks for the compliment!!
I've been thinking about "rock" walls hiding the heater/etc. with large removable foam filters built in... ; )

#92 ·
For those considering using this style filter, there is no need to add the foam supports brackets unless you are using the corner style version or some similar configuration.

It is usually installed completely across the width of the tank (end of tank) and the heater, air lift, powerhead or other equipment is located behind the foam. The Poret is usually cut a bit (1/2") wider than the inside width of the tank and is held in place solely by friction.

#94 ·
I don't think there is really a need for the extra top plates, especially if you are only using them to make the vertical braces more rigid.

I did not make my vertical braces the entire height of the tank. They are 14" long and the tank is 15-1/2" high from tank bottom to under rim.

#96 ·
Well you guys have motivated me enough to actually work on this now. It's great to see the thread is moving along without me being present. I am going to start tearing down the tank tomorrow. Since it has been severly neglected for months and I haven't maintained it except for breif periods, I plan to bleach the tank and scrub it down to start fresh. I still haven't decided on how to install it. The corner may be my chosen method just for aesthetics, and space saving. I may post up some options to see what you all think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.