The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 gallon questions

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Nordic 
#1 ·
Hi folks, read some of the past threads, first post. I did a freshwater tank a long time ago, and after a few years hiatus I got back into the hobby by starting a couple of nano reefs. Thought to myself, self, if I can do a nano reef I've got to be able to do a nano planted! And here I am. :)

Current plan is for a 1g AquaScene triangle tank from Wal-Mart, upgraded with a 7w Compact Flourscent mini-bulb from Home Depot. Based on what I've read, this should be enough for low-light plants, is that right?

I'd like to keep it ultra simple. As little equipment as possible. Based on some posts here it looks like many plants do ok unheated, so I can skip the heater. So there remains just one question:

Would White Cloud Mountain Minnows be ok without any filtration besides the plants? Two of them (male/female pair)?

I've no problem spending money on providing the proper environment for the fish to be happy in, I'd just like to get this down to the bare minimums.

TIA for any advice! Glad I'm not the only one crazy enough to do a nano planted. :p

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't see why not. The first part would be the hardest part, methinks, as balance could be difficult to achieve. What do you have in mind for substrate and fertilization? No CO2, I take it?

I'm just thinking that it would be great if the only fertilizer you needed to add was fish food, and the only filtration/oxygenation you needed was the plants. This is probably what you had in mind, but you might be into "moderate light" territory. I have 8w/6g, sou you're definitely not as low-light as me...

Ian

Edit: grammar.

#4 ·
Get 2 females and a male, they should be ok, I have a tank I keep like that, only slightly larger, but these are large minnows from my pond. Very nice interaction between fishies, not your typical hang around till lunch fish.

#5 ·
2 females, 1 male. Ok. Wasn't sure if 3 would push the envelope, glad you could clarify.

No, no CO2. Substrate is still undecided. Probably end up with laterite or Flourite. Depends on if I have to buy 10lbs and throw away 9lbs of it, lol. Maybe my LFS will give me a handful from one of their tanks. I will probably start with easy plants and not do much fertilization until I gain more experience. We'll see what happens when I get there.

Thanks for the blazingly fast replies!

#7 ·
I am going to do the same thing. lol Sorry for tagging along. What plants are you going to do? I was thinkin i might just make a Java Fern farm. Or just Star Grass, i wanted just a farm with out different species. I didn't think about fish, i didn't want any fish, so i was going to use potting soil under my sand. Would that work? I am doing an experiment in there now. I took alot of hair algae and put it in there to see if it would grow good with the sun, and then i added alot of cooking sugar, just to see if they would benifit from it, i wonder if it is good to add sugar to a planted tank, if it ain't got no fish? I guess i will go with a star grass farm, since the java fern don't feed off roots, so the potting soil would be a waste. I have 2 males and 1 female leapord danios in my 55 and they are very pretty! If you get 1 male and 2 females of those you won't be sorry. The felmales turn a siver color, and the males turn a very bright rich gold color! They are pretty!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.