The Planted Tank Forum banner

New 120 gallon display - Williamsonaaron (Pic Heavy)

6K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  williamsonaaron 
#1 ·
Hi All -

I've completed my build for the new 120 gallon planted community tank. this build took a fair bit longer than the previous 80 gallon with 3d background because I decided to try something different than the standard set up for 3D backgrounds. I went for more of a framed effect which I thought would be more interesting and also I wanted to preserve the amount of swimming space for my large rainbowfish(who are the reason for the move).

Flora and Fauna lists at the bottom of post.

Equipment
120 gallon tank

Filtration
2 X 2217 Eheim filters.

Lighting
double strip from perfecto
coming soon T5 HO 4X54Watt.

Underwater Lighting
Hydor LED Submersibles.

Heater
Hydor 300W inline heater.

Substrate
Aquariumplants.com - Black diamond

Background & Hardscape
Malawi rock Cut into 45* degree portions.
Cut out rock pieces for bottom from the Malawi background.
couple small pieces of malasian driftwood
Local piece of driftwood screwed onto a piece of slate.

Now for the Pictures.

The Tank

Rock cut out to hide an underwater light.

Another rock cut out - this will go right against the back on the left hand side to add some depth and won't hold an under water light.

Right hand side cut out

Left Hand side cut out

Underwater light and on the right is my venting to allow water behind the right hand background for the filter return.

I black out the white of the styrofoam at the joints using black silicon this does wonders for appearance and having seamless joints.

The next three are the basic build up of adding the pieces one by one.

Underwater lighting.. I will update with a better pic -I just took this quickly.

Siliconing pieces in

With substrate after silicone dries.

First pictures with plants and fish. Sorry about the reflections I will work up some better pics of the tank and of the inhabitants tonight/tomorrow.

Plants
4X Crypt Parva
2X Crypt undulata
2X Crypt lutea
1X hydrophilia sp.
4X Rotala magenta
3X java fern.
3X Java fern sp.(has crinkle top)
2X baby tears
3X Red swords
want to add.

Fish

13 Cardinal tetras -gonna add atleast another 15 or 20.
8 assorted rainbowfish.
12 emerald green corries
pair of Rams
12 cherry shrimp.

See less See more
#6 ·
adding some inhabitant photos

Just adding some pics of the current inhabitants. I took these today using an off camera flash(SB 600) mounted on a tripod above the tank thanks to a tip I got here on the boards(sorry I forget who.).. I've been having an amazing time with that tip as it makes for fantastic photos. I particularly love the capture of the Emerald Cory cat.

Emerald Green Corydoras

Cardinal tetras

Bosemani rainbow

Rams

#10 ·
I've done a pretty good job on this tank of hiding the silicone(using black helps a lot) on my other 80 gallon tank the joints were the bane of the tank to me(though no one who saw the tank in person ever once took notice of them). Prior to getting the plants and other pieces into the tank with these types of projects sometimes the silicone joints will make you want to quit because that's all there is to draw your eye but once the tank is going you won't even notice them especially with a little care taken.

The background is painted black on the outside.

On the sides I left it open so I can see back there, the joints are not 100% water tight on purpose I wanted to try to get a shrimp colony going and they spend a lot of time behind the backgrounds when not out eating. So I like to be able to look back there..

#18 ·
They are silconed in place no danger of floating :)

Very nice looking! Kudos on the fake rocks.
Do you find the Rams dig up a lot or is just a pair manageable? I had 6 bolivians and they were a nightmare, especially when they all paired off. I love Rams but ever since that experience I stay away from them.
You know I have 3 pairs of rams and all three were in an 80 gallon and they never dug anything in two years. I moved 1 pair to this new tank and all of a sudden they are digging like crazy... they have dug up reds(pot holes for breeding) in every corner of the tank and dug up my baby tears.. I think it must be the new substrate that makes it easier for them to dig or maybe I just need too add a nice smooth rock for them to put their eggs on.

That is such a cool tank! Your carried out the fake rocks so well!

That is a tank fit for discus! Do you plans for discus?
I would love to do wild discuss but there are large rainbows(2+ years old) in the tank now. I'm not planning on adding back to the rainbow school as they pass away and once they are gone I am def considering doing the discuss thing :)

#15 ·
Very nice looking! Kudos on the fake rocks.
Do you find the Rams dig up a lot or is just a pair manageable? I had 6 bolivians and they were a nightmare, especially when they all paired off. I love Rams but ever since that experience I stay away from them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.