The Planted Tank Forum banner

Flourite, Dirt, & moon Sand

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  GeToChKn 
#1 ·
Hi guys

I've been keeping dirt planted tanks for roughly 6 years but am considering a change of a planted substrate which can be capped successfully with thitan moon sand. I have heard that although moon sand stays black when used to cap certain substrates they tend to mix over time, so I'm unsure of which substrate to go with.

Secondly, with dirt you don't do the traditional gravel clean as all waste is reused and I was wondering which planted substrate will work in the same way Ie when capped with moon sand will not need to be disturbed. Quite basic questions for some of the experts I've seen on here but I have only used dirt substrates since I got into the hobby.

Malloy

#3 ·
I don't have access to bbs

I'm really disappointed by the lack of suggesstions here. TPT is supposed to be the go to spot for plant enthusiasts but despite waiting, perhaps impatiently, I figure I should narrow down my request for info and be more specific. So here goes...

Guys, what planted substrate will Tahitian moon sand cap successfully. And by successfully I mean, the substrate will not rise to the top and eventually sit on the surface. I'm open to all and any suggestions and will post pics/vids once I have made the transition. I appreciate your reading this.

#4 ·
It's been less than 24 hours since you posted, on the upcoming to the busiest time of year for a lot of people, don't expect 1000000 replies.

At some point, just about any substrate, sand will sift down to bottom. It's sand. It's whats happens with it. Dirt is the best to cap with since it's a more dense. Any other substrate, it has all kinds of gaps that sand will fall through.

I'm not a fan of capping stuff, any replanting and moving stuff around, you end mixing more and more stuff together every time. Becomes a big pain. 1 substrate, you can move stuff around and worry about destroying your cap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.