The Planted Tank Forum banner

DIY CO2, how much water?

6K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  psalm18.2 
#1 ·
I've read differning opinions on water in different recipes. The article hosted here on plantedtank just gives the sugar to yeast ratio, then says fill the bottle up with water most of the way.

But on this super helpful article, it recommends just using 2 cups of water for a 2 liter bottle.

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

So what I should be doing? I know having the bottle filled will allow the system to pressurize more quickly, but I don't know how water impacts the reaction.

#4 ·
Don't take me to the bank on this, but...I think having more water would slow the process making it last longer. Not because of anything to do with the sugar or the yeast, but because what ultimately happens is that this process starts fermenting and creating alcohol. It is this rise in the amount of alcohol that kills off the yeast and stops your reaction. Therefore, I think more water might, maybe, slow this "burn out" process as the produced alcohol would take longer to rise to high levels when diluted with more water.

I have nothing to back this up. It's a theory.

#5 ·
if you are looking to slow down the yeast digesting the sugar a pinch of salt will slow the reaction down, to much will kill the yeast though, never tried it in a fish tank but i know from 15 yrs of cooking/baking the ratio between salt and yeast controls how fast your dough will rise

sheb

#6 ·
So I've set up my mixture and everything... I waited 24 hours and wasn't getting any bubbles so I figured I had screwed something up. When I opened the bottle to try a new mixture, there was definitely pressure in it.

I took out my diffuser and just tried to blow through it to see if I could make bubbles, and I couldn't. Does it take a crazy amount of pressure to get through this thing? Should I be able to blow bubbles through my diffuser?

http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Fluval-Replacement-Ceramic-Diffuser/dp/B004H2B8I0

EDIT: Ok... so apparently I'm not supposed to be able to blow through it. So follow up question, is this diffuser meant for a paintball system? Will my yeast setup generate enough pressure to use it?

#11 ·
So I've set up my mixture and everything... I waited 24 hours and wasn't getting any bubbles so I figured I had screwed something up. When I opened the bottle to try a new mixture, there was definitely pressure in it.

I took out my diffuser and just tried to blow through it to see if I could make bubbles, and I couldn't. Does it take a crazy amount of pressure to get through this thing? Should I be able to blow bubbles through my diffuser?

http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Fluval-Replacement-Ceramic-Diffuser/dp/B004H2B8I0

EDIT: Ok... so apparently I'm not supposed to be able to blow through it. So follow up question, is this diffuser meant for a paintball system? Will my yeast setup generate enough pressure to use it?
I use one of those with DIY yeast CO2. Works fine. It shuts down easy if it starts to get clogged though.

#7 ·
I doubt that your DIY C02 will build enough pressure to go through a diffusor disk. Better try a bubble ladder or diffuse through a powerhead.

Fill a 2L bottle 1/2 full of lukewarm water. Add 1 to 1 1/2 cups white sugar. Shake until dissolved. Fill water to 3/4 full with lukewarm water. Water temps over 70 will kill yeast . Add 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon yeast. Shake again.

Wait. :)

You want it to be a slow, steady reaction. Too much yeast or sugar will result in increased c02 production but reduced duration.

#14 ·
I tried a new mixture. I have 2 cups sugar, 1/2 teaspoon yeast... I boiled a little water to dissolve the sugar in, then filled up the bottle the rest of the way with cold water to help cool it... I stirred the yeast up in some warm water and let it breathe for a little bit, then tossed it in the bottle.

12 hours later, I was getting a steady flow through the diffuser once the pressure built up. I wanted to use a lower amount of yeast to make the the mixture last longer, but we'll see how long this goes.

I'm just glad it's working!

#16 ·
I use DIY co2 with 3 x 2 litre bottles and I have built a box to hide them in and I have insulated the box with 1 inch celotex insulation , this keeps them at a nice temp , even if the room temp is at 40 f the box keeps well up at 70 :):) it buts onto the side of my tank so the warmth from the tank keeps it all nice and active :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.