The Planted Tank Forum banner

other colors other than red cherry shrimp?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  kdogg 
#1 ·
I was at a local aquarium club meeting and there were shrimped marked as cherry shrimp. The owner who had them in the monthly auction said he had three different colors? Is this odd and should I stay away and try to find someone who all red in the adult tank? Knew to shrimpin

#3 ·
Actually, the owner was correct, although he was not using the correct common names for each. Red Cherry Shrimp is just the common name for Neocaridina heteropoda. There are several different varieties of these shrimp.

RCS = Neocaridina heteropoda (var. Red)

Yellow Shrimp = Neocaridina heteropoda (var. Yellow)

Then there is the wild type, that is neither red or yellow.

Then there are the other neos that do not have the exact scientific name such as Blue Pearl Shrimp, but I am keeping it at the Neocaridina heteropodas.

#7 ·
Blue hue sounds like he is talking about Blue Pearl Shrimp which is just a different Neo. The no color types are the wild version, then the RCSs. The only thing I would worry about, is if the supplier keeps all 3 types in the same tank. These can crossbreed if kept in the same tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.