The Planted Tank Forum banner

Brand New to Aquariums--lighting questions

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  plamski 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just bought a used 55 gallon tank and want to start a planted tank. This is my first aquarium. My tank came with a hood with 1 light bulb on each side.

This might be an odd question, but the top of the tank has two specific areas to put lights with a groove in the top. I have looked at some retailers and the lighting has longer bulbs that would fit my 48" tank, but I am not sure what to buy and also how to make it fit on the top of my tank.

I need to have a lid on my tank, although the ADA tanks I have seen are gorgeous.

Hopefully this question makes sense!

Cheers,

Nanci Byers

#2 ·
You have to buy glass tops for your tank then you have to choose what type of plants you like to have. Fast growers, cool ones or less work and money plants. Then you can ask for light, CO2, substrate, filters etc.
My advice is: try to read 500-600 pages of the forum before to spend $500-600 in wrong setups.

#3 ·
Ok that makes sense. I will do some more trolling of the site.

I do want to grow the higher light plants because when I look at the aquarium plant books, the ones I like need the high light setup. :icon_lol:

From what I have read, that means I do need the Co2 setup.

The advice I received from the local fish store I went to, suggested the black sand Flourite (60 lbs. for a 55 gallon tank)

Does that sound like the right way to go?

Thanks,

#4 ·
There is nothing like ADA Amazonia or Africana. But you can try different setups too. I went thru 4 substrate, 3 lighting setups and from High tech high light to low tech low light setups. There are a lot of options. For high light tank you need good substrate to support grow. You can add Osmocote plus in to the substrate to maintain NPK + Iron for roots for 6-8 months. You will need CO2 setup -$200, Filters and powerheads .Light T5HO or LED.I have 5x 36" eBay LED fixtures 0.3W LED $49 each they are great for my shrimp tanks. But you have to buy those with 1W or 3W LED.I can't tell how good they are. Topdogseller has not bad T5HO fixtures too. You will need test kits .AND most important 50% WC every week, trimming every week ,fait with algae every day -especially if you feeding your fishes with dry food.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.