The Planted Tank Forum banner

Johnson18's Emersed Tanks

31K views 145 replies 21 participants last post by  johnson18 
#1 · (Edited)
Welcome to my emersed journey!

I'm working to update this first post to include the current specs: tanks, lights/bulbs, etc., my plant list and such as everything has changed in the last year since I began setting up my first emersed tank. I am also in the process of packing my house up to move cross country to Tucson, AZ in May 2014. Once there, I will be building my rack set up for my emersed tanks, at which point I hope to make all my emersed tanks identical sizes(probably 40G Breeders) and expand to have several more tanks than my current two.

Complete(mostly) and Updated Plant Species List in Post #14!!!

Emersed Rack plans are in Post #91 on page #7! Hoping for 6-8 tanks total! Input Welcome!

I am almost always looking for new Cryptocoryne species to add to my collection! If you have a species that you don't see here, shoot me a PM, I'm probably interested in adding it to my collection!!

Original 1st post!
I posted this in the general discussion earlier, since I've gone ahead and started the tank I thoughts a I'd want to update the thread, seemed like a good start for a journal!

Here is my post from earlier:

I've become pretty interested in growing plants emersed, mostly crypts, but I want to try several plants. I've done a bit of reading on the subject. I decided to give it a go using a 20 long I've got sitting around.

My plan is to use some basic plastic tupper ware containers to start. I plan on drilling wholes in the bottom of each container. I am wondering if I should drill some on the lower half of the sides too? If drilling doesn't work for some reason, like plastic cracking, I saw somewhere on a cryptocoryne website where a person used a blow torch and a nail to melt wholes in the containers. I've got the tools to do that if needed.

For lighting I've got either a dual lamp t5ho 24" or 48". I believe both have one 6700 and one 10k bulb...

I'm planning on using some MG top soil I have around the house. Wondering if I should mix anything in with it... Sand, peat moss, osmocote+, or...??

Water will probably be filled below the substrate level, though if some plants need it higher I can always add a taller lever to part of the tank using crates or something.

I will probably start out with plastic wrap as a top. Eventually getting some plex as a cover.

Now for the fun part....Plants!

I've got some random plants hanging around in a couple tanks that aren't part if the aquascape...

A couple anubias, I think a coffee and a nana. Maybe a few types of java fern? A few random stems that are still surviving in my 20L PFR riparium. I was thinking about also using a few of the basic crypts that I've already got: several types of wendtii, lucens, beckettii, lutea, balansae. I've also got some bacopa on the way.

So that's where I'm at now, as far as my plan! I'm starting to clean up the tank and drill wholes this afternoon. I will probably try to get started planting this evening.

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas or even "hey dummy, you're doin' it wrong" would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

See less See more
#92 · (Edited)
I'm no crypt expert, but here's a couple quick thoughts on your plans:

1) Have you considered a small greenhouse? Kits for a 6 x 6 or 6 x 8 are actually not that expensive. Overall it would mean no expenses for lighting, you could maintain humidty within the entire greenhouse with some serious humidifiers (perhaps a challenge in AZ, but people certainly do it), and all of your plants could be easily accessible without being inside an aquarium. Just a thought.

2) 20 gal longs are actually pretty well lit with 24 in T5 bulbs. I did this on a reef tank for years and 3 inches of low light coverage on either end isn't a huge deal breaker in my opinion. You could potentially have species acclimated to high light in the middle and newer plants on the sides.

3) The idea of adding flow through the bottom of the tanks sounds like a really good one. It might be a bit complicated in terms of plumbing and added expense, but from some pics I've seen, crypts are very often growing in relatively high flow streams rather than stagnant waters. Adding flow could help with root growth, etc.

#93 · (Edited)
I think using a greenhouse for this would be more complicated than it's worth. They live on the edge of town with property basically backing up to Saguaro National Park. Lots of wildlife around the house, all of which I'm sure would love a drink/new home. Rattlesnakes require removal and relocation almost weekly during much of the year-often enough my sister got the appropriate snake handling gear and does it herself instead of calling the fire dept every time. A greenhouse would require a proper base, would have to be sealed extremely well, along with having its own heat and cooling/ventilation. I think a greenhouse would be great but I don't think I would be able to effectively use one of the inexpensive versions in the desert. I will certainly be an advocate of building a nice greenhouse on the property while I'm there, but I doubt it will be a huge priority. :)

20L's are great tanks, don't get me wrong. I will probably keep several of the ones I currently own. I'd actually like to set up a few 20L & 10s on the upper shelves of this system for other things. Like, maybe, actually have some fish or shrimp?!? Hahaha.... I have actually been using a 24" t5ho on my emersed 20L for some time now. I just figure if I'm going to take the time to plan and build a nice set up I should plan to give it the best possible components I can. **** :) Edit: Not necessarily the "best" as I may not buy the fanciest lights I can find for all tanks. I just want to try to be thorough in each aspect of the project and not try to cut corners on easy things like light length. lol...**** The biggest problem for this setup is the height of the tank. I've always got stems hitting(and rotting) on the top of my 20L. It's just easier to switch the 20Ls out for something more functional at this point rather than waiting.

I will have to look more into the plumbing aspect of things, although I've been spending a lot of time lately reading about sumps, sump plumbing, overflows and such. I would think if I do plumb several tanks together I would want to build some sort of overflow for each and drill the tanks to plumb the system. At the same time I think I would like to have the option to flood the tank, even if it was temporary such as over night. I fully understand that once drilled for the low water levels required for this project these tanks will probably never function as fully flooded tanks. I would probably put the sump/filter tank on the bottom shelf and have the other tanks on one of the higher shelves. This is definitely the most complicated part of the build. It is also probably the biggest expense other than adding more lights to the ones I've already got.

#94 ·
So I've got some new plants on the way.

Cryptocoryne Noritoi "Wongso"
Cryptocoryne Nurii 'Pahang Mutated'
Anubias 'snow white'
Anubias 'stardust'

There are several more Cryptocoryne species that I am currently talking with other hobbyists about acquiring. I think we have decided to wait until after the cold weather of this weekend/next week. Currently looking at 6 other species all of them on the less common side of things. :)

I also got a few Anubias cogenisis?? This is what they were labelled, but I think one is probably a barteri and I picked it up with this is mind. These aren't an Anubias species I know much about but I figured a few more plants never hurt. That's part of the fun. I'm definitely enjoying collecting new plants.

There are a few other Aroids I would like to add to my emersed collection once I've moved.

I've also ordered new bulbs for the t5ho fixtures over all of my tanks. I am hoping they will be here Monday! :) Other than the 30" fixture that is currently hanging on my riparium which is getting 2 coralife 6700k bulbs, all of my t5ho fixtures are getting the same bulb combo. I'm going with a Geisemann Midday & Aquaflora bulb combo on these fixtures. I can't wait to have all my lights back at full strength.

#96 ·
Rajah, I will definitely post some pictures of all the new plants as I get them!

The first part of my Drs. F&S order arrived this morning. It was the 24" Geisemann bulbs. I've already got them installed over the 20L. I really like the look but I'm very interested to see what they look like over a filled tank!

If anyone has been reading my 20L riparium journal recently, you've probably seen the info about the BuildMyLED light I'm getting for my riparium. I'm going to talk to BML again today to see how they think the same light spectrum will work for emersed crypts. It is very likely that I will order two BML lights & install one over an emersed tank.

#97 ·
Got the rest of the Geisemann bulbs installed this morning. Definitely adds a lot of pink to the visual light on these tank, which doesn't bother me as they aren't display tanks. The pink isn't nearly as noticeable on the full tanks. I also knew that Aquaflora was pink when I ordered it! ;)

I've got three different crypts that have spathes developing & a few Anubias inflorescences forming too!

Here are a few full tank shots of the 55! A couple of these look way more pink than they really are. My red duct tape holding the plastic wrap on certainly doesn't help.

#98 ·
Added C. nurii Pahang mutated and C. noritoi "Wongso" from Han today. They look a little rough from shipping but I am hoping they will bounce back. The Anubias nana 'Snow White' for my 55 didn't make it, very mushy! :( The 'Stardust' was in a little bit better shape than the white but not much. :(

C. nurii 'Pahang mutated'

C. noritoi 'Wongso'

I'll add pictures of them planted over the next few days as they aren't much to look at right now.

The C. 'Flamingo' is doing well, it has put out two leaves since it was planted. Not pink but they seem to get a little lighter with each new leaf.

#99 · (Edited)
The plants are loving their new lights! I've had spathes from C. wendtii(3), usteriana x walkeri(2), nurii(1) & pontederiifolia(3) as well as several different Anubais sp. inflorescences(6 total) since installing the new bulbs! Unfortunately I had surgery to removed kidney stones last Monday 3/10 and spent all of last week either asleep or highly intoxicated. Just when I was finally starting to feel better I started experiencing a new pain from what's most likely some sort of kidney infection. No worries, I live, but it's made digging around in tanks and pulling plants to take pictures a little more difficult than usual.

The stem plants seem to like the new lights. Hygro sp. 'Brown' has started going crazy in the 55. I added several nice rooted stems of Hygrophila sp. 'araguaia' in two pots to the 20L, looks like it's adjusting well.

I've not seen anything from the two crypts added 3/5. They both totally melted and have shown no sign of returning.

Here is the Cryptocoryne usteriana x walkeri spathe that opened today, took this just before lights out. This is the second spathe in two weeks.

H. 'Brown'. You can also see two of the three pots of C. parva I recently added after pulling close to 30 individual plants out of my 20L Riparium.

My A. barteri has seen an increase in the size of it's most recent new leaves. It currently has two inflorescences at the same time, actually the second opened today.

Here is a mostly fts of the 20L.

#100 ·
So I've been looking at some of my plants and I need to thin out a few pots pretty badly. Most of the crypts are pretty basic: a couple wendtii variants: Green gecko, FL Sunset, lutea, pontederiifolia & probably a few nurii, though that may not be all of them. I'm thinking about maybe putting together a few emersed crypt starter packs as a RAOK. I always pack different species separately & labeled as I personally cannot stand ordering several different species of plants and getting them all tossed in a bag or rolled in a papertowel/newspaper together with no way to fully ID half the plants species. I was also considering putting together a simple How To/Care sheet with maybe a few basic pointers, substrate suggestions/idea, misting tips, etc... Maybe some moss or riccia for you to chop up and top your substrate with. I'm hoping to have it aimed towards the folks that may have just started an emersed tank or are interested in crypts but have been holding off on the emersed growth. I just know how much I love growing Crypts and seeing spathes pop up! I would really like to help some others who want to get into emersed crypts too!

I would like to try and get some input on this idea!

If you are an experienced Crypt keeper, what were some essential things that helped you when starting out? Got any recommendations or thoughts?

If you are part of the target group, what would you think you'd like to see or get in a pack like that? Just plants? Maybe some root tabs that could be used whole or opened and mixed with substrate? Also would a How To/Care Sheet actually be of use or just a waste of my time as you can find all the same info either here, the Crypt Club or any number of great emersed crypt journals on here or APC/BarrReport/HydraForum/etc....

Anyone wish to chime in on this?

As a side note, I've got two Affinis 'Metallic Red' that have yet to be planted. They will be split between emersed and submersed.

#102 ·
Just waiting to pay for the following plants that should hopefully be here next week.

Cryptocoryne Cordata var. Cordata 'Blassii' (super red variant)
Cryptocoryne Longicauda 'Seri Aman'"Rosanervig"
Cryptocoryne Ideii

I also noticed when I put in the pot with the C. Affinis 'Metallic Red' that I'm gonna have a hard time fitting many more pots into either of these tanks. I may have to go ahead and take out the Schefflera pre-bonsai that has been living in the 55 to encourage the growth of areal roots. That plant is sitting on a piece of wood to keep it out of the water, once removed it should provide room for 3-6 more pots.

#103 ·
Several new spathes all from the same plants that have been active.

Got the following plants on the way:
Cryptocoryne cordata var. cordata 'Blassii' (super red variant)
Cryptocoryne longicauda 'Seri Aman'"Rosanervig"
Cryptocoryne affinis "Metallic Red" 'Pahang Barat'
Cryptocoryne ideii

I've also inquired about a few more species.

Recently got the ok to start figuring out the required supplies that I'll need for an IBC tote aquaponics set up. Not sure yet if it'll be one or two containers. Super stoked about this. I've been slowly hoarding supplies, reading and watching youtube videos about aquaponics for the last year to build a small indoor set up for myself. Now that I'll be living with several people, we are going to scrap the small system for a more usable size to provide for all of us.

#104 ·

New plants have arrived! I'm super impressed by the sellers packaging.

Just went to grab some pots to plant these and realized I only have a couple 2" net pots. Whoops! Guess I'm off to the local nursery a couple miles from the house!

#105 · (Edited)
I've figured out that I've got enough room to build a rack that is 10-12ft long and 6 to 8ft tall. I'd like to make it 2ft deep, with an added support 18-20" in from the front, on at least the first two levels, in order to fully support the back of the 40 breeders. Although I don't plan of having them full of water. This will allow me plenty of room for my emersed plant collection to grow over the next few years as well as room for any smaller tanks that I want to add for shrimp or small cichlids etc. I also plan to use this for some of my other plant collections, such as my Tillandsias.

#110 · (Edited)
Johnson18's Emersed tanks! New plans for expanded rack system! Input Welcome!

I'm surprised not a single person had anything to say about a tank rack of this size! ;p Hahahaha!

C. x willisii 'Lucens' spathe I just photographed.
No flash

The flash shows the true colors of the spathe!

Looking through the tanks I've found the following:

There are a couple of the C. wendtii variants with spathes, which is no real surprise! The last few months it's been a rare occurrence when I can't find a wendtii spathe!

C. pontederiifolia seems to have gone back to growing vegetation instead of sending up spathes nonstop! Lots of new daughter plants.

C. usteriana x walkeri is still nonstop spathes. The old one is about half melted, the new one probably has two days left before it opens.

C. griffithii has been growing well, several new daughter plants have popped up in the last few months! Even more exciting is the mother plant looks like it has a spathe developing! Really excited about this as griffithii was one of the first "rare" crypts I added to my collection.

Crypt. sp. 'Flamingo' has been doing well. The leaves seem to be getting lighter in color with each new leaf. The first ones once it adjusted to emersed were almost a grayish brown.

All of the recently added species are doing well. Most have a new leaf or two already. I'd get some close up shots but I'd like to disturb them as little as possible before the big move.

Plenty of stem plants blooming too. These got a bit of a trim on Monday.

If there is anything in particular anyone wants a picture of let me know, I'll do my best to get you one!

#106 · (Edited)
Since I'm sure most everyone loves pictures, here are a couple quick shots I just snapped of the 55.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions on my rack build discussed in the post before this!

Most of the newer plants are all in this end. Been getting some new leaves already.

There are a bunch of spathes throughout the tank.

#108 ·
Thanks Devin! So far I have found that they are surprisingly simple, if you put them in the correct substrate mixture. The few hard water species I have tried at the beginning just slowly faded away in here, but I'm using a substrate that has an acidic pH. So that's really no surprise. I'm looking forward to expanding the number of emersed tanks I've got! The expansion will allow me to keep hard water crypts in a separate tank set up specifically for them. Same thing goes for the super acidic loving black water species!

There is already at least one species, C. longicauda "Rosanervig" 'Seri Amen', that I will separate into multiple pots, leaving one in my normal tank and moving the other to the blackwater tank. I've been told that when it is in water with a pH down close to 5.0, the plant shows it's true colors that the "Rosanervig" varieties are know for!

There are several species that I have avoided so far due to there pH requirements. I'm looking forward to being able to add pretty much any species I want! Well, that is if I can locate and afford them! ;)

#114 · (Edited)
Thanks!
Sure, here is the C. griffithii. EDIT: This is actually C. pontederfolia, check out a few posts after this...

Along with a couple in tank shots of the C. usteriana x walkeri spathe that is open tonight.

I'll try to pull the pot out of the tank tomorrow and get a full shot of it.

#115 ·
Those emersed crypts would make an awesome high-humidity riparium, too.

A 55G is a nice shape for a high-humidity riparium. So is a 29G.

I've wondered why I've seen almost nobody do a setup like that with crypts. A high-humidity riparium is a great way to keep an emersed crypt collection in a habitat display with fish.

#116 ·
I actually think it would be super cool to do a high humidity riparium using a lot of crypts. I think Method and Wheaties current builds are a cool style. I really like some of the more natural looking tanks like the one Method linked to here(pic at the bottom): http://www.aqua-rebell.com/aquascaping/andreas-ruppert-aquascaping.html
I've seen several other similar tanks that are just awesome. Most seem to come from Europe. I've been wondering if I have enough room to try my own in the 45g "cube"(not really a cube- 24l x 18d x 25h) that I have had sitting around a few years.

If I were going to use a 55, I'd probably have to buy a new one. I've got several but most I got for free or super cheap. My problem with 55's is the depth front to back is just so narrow. They can be quite difficult to scape.

#117 ·
It turns out that the largest plant in a pot of assorted crypts appears to be a C. undulata as it's got a spathe that just opened. This isn't a huge surprise as the particular order of crypts was supposed to have a C. undulata but it arrived with like 7 or 8 species all wrapped in a sheet of newspaper together. I was only able to distinguish 4 of the different species other got mixed. I've slowly pulled a couple species out as they've been identified.

It's the largest plant in these two pics.

Those are both older picturs. I'll get a shot of the spathe later tonight!

#118 · (Edited)
Still waiting for the C. griffithii spathe to open! I really hope it opens before I move this weekend!

This Sunday is the big day when I load all my stuff into the moving truck and take off! I've decided that I will be moving my emersed plants in their current tanks, loaded into the bed of my tacoma. I've got a campershell which will allow them to get a bit of natural indirect sunlight and let me open windows as needed to control the temperature. Unlike the box truck which is gonna be dark and hot. The full tanks will be torn down completely Saturday afternoon and most plants will be put into a rubbermaid tote with just an inch or two of water. I will be separating some of species and packaging them like I would for shipping. These plants will pretty much be crypts, buce and a few stems. Can't lose track of things like nurii, affinis "Metallic Red" & C. sp. "Flamingo" plus my bucephalandra species! I think the riparium planters will get moved into one of the emersed tanks.

#119 ·
Well good news and bad news.
Good-the spathe opened.

Bad- it's not C. griffithii! That's a huge bummer! It's a little annoying knowing what I paid for the plant. It's worse that it's a well known seller on here, not that it was done intentionally but that who knows how many other have the same plant thinking it's C. griffithii.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.